I DID IT! MY FIRST BG TEST

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley's Mom, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

Ok guys, I did it. I came home straight from work with my Relion Ultima Blood test kit and strips. Made the rice sock, warmed it and got my husband to hold onto Harley. He wasn't at all interested or distracted by offering him a treat so we just did what we had to do. I had no real problem with it and Harley wasn't totally flipping out or anything but I don't see me ever being able to test him alone. For one Harley is not a lap cat, he is huge and he feels uncomfortable on someone's lap. I cannot hold him by myself if he is struggling, and I am not built to get down on the floor anymore (not probably able to :oops: ) so far now it will probably always be a tag team.
    Anyway the results of his blood test were....................

6:15 p.m. Before meal 287

That is still high but down another 56 points from where it was on Saturday! More good news Harley has eaten only wet food for 24 hours and that is something I thought would never happen.

So.....thoughts?

2. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Whoo Hoo! Way to go! I test Angus by setting him on the counter. My middle aged eyes couldn't see to test him if I didn't bring him up to face height. If you don't want to use the counter, the top of the washer/dryer with a towel works too. I put Angus on the counter and load the meter with a strip. I use my left hand to hold his ear with a folder paper towel underneath and my left arm to hold him down and to my body. I use the lancet with my right hand, then set it down and grab the meter with strip. I press the paper towel to both sides of his ear for 10 - 15 seconds, then give him a treat and set him back on the floor. Angus has never been the cuddly sort, so quick and businesslike works best for us.

BGs are still high, but looking better. I would guess you will continue to see drops for another couple of days. Good job! :D

3. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Woohoo! Congrats on your first test!!! It gets easier really it does.

4. ChloesMama

ChloesMama Member

congrats!!! I'm going to try my first one tonight. Is it best to do the pre-shot tests BEFORE they eat or after? We tie eating in with shots.

I'm really bummed.. I went to my vet to get more syringes and they're OUT til Thursday. So now I have to reuse and possibly annoy Chloe. I really didn't want to do this...ugh.

5. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

You generally test before eating, if you can. General rule is test, feed, shoot. You want to know what the number is before the effects of food and you want to be sure your cat will eat before you shoot. Some cats are easier to test after eating. That is okay as long as you test right after eating.

Forgot to add. You can use human syringes that you can get at any pharmacy. If you are using U40 PZI, you need a conversion chart that you can find here: conversion chart. Ask for 3/10 cc syringes with 1/2 unit markings. They are cheaper and you can accurately measure smaller doses.

6. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

I put my cat in the (empty) sink to do needles and tests if I don't have extra hands around. She doesn't like to be held either, and facing her into a corner was a total disaster. She still fusses some, but the sink drastically slows any escape attempts :).

7. ChloesMama

ChloesMama Member

So pharmacies won't carry u-40 syringes? I think using u-100 just makes me too nervous. Is it true that Walmart has? Maybe I'll reuse tonight and try to go to Walmart in NJ tomorrow. Do I need a script for them?

I am SO NERVOUS to do the BG tonight!! I'm going to try on myself first.

8. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Prescription requirements vary from state to state. I am in MD and no prescription is required. I looked up NJ and it says "prescription may be waived with photo ID", so you may be asked for one. U40 syringes are not generally available at pharmacies because they are not used by humans any more. You can order from Hocks (U100 syringes or U40 syringes). They do not require a prescription to mail to any state. I find Hocks has very reasonable prices and quick service.

U100 syringes come with 1/2 unit markings, so allow much finer dosage. If you are worried about using the conversion chart, post here with the dose you want to give and some one will help you verify the correct marking on the syringe.

9. Jennifer and Porky

Jennifer and Porky Member

Congrats on a successful test!

I was so nervous the first time, I think I had to poke poor Porky's ear at least 10 times!

Just find a routine that works for you. First, I get everything ready: the lancet pen, a folded piece of kleenex to hold behind his ear, the neosporin un-capped and ready, and a strip half-loaded into the meter. I put Porky on the couch next to me, and get him to lay down, his body next to my thigh, his head facing away from me. That way, I can sort of steady him if he decides to get squirmy on me. I poke his ear, and while holding the ear with one hand, I use the other to push the strip all the way in, and then grab the drop of blood.

He always gets a treat afterward, so this routine has been working pretty well. In fact, he will jump up on the couch and wait for me! Since he's currently OTJ, he doesn't get tested every day, but he still goes to the designated testing spot every morning and night! :smile: He's very well trained....or is it me that's trained? :lol:

10. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

I only restrain Squeak when I'm clipping nails or doing teeth, and then we resemble something rather like branding time on the ranch or something with lots of growling. When testing, I'd sit on the floor with Squeak between my legs and brush/stroke him.

Jen

11. ChloesMama

ChloesMama Member

Well, Harley's Mom...you are the bomb. And I am the suck. Tried to do the test and failed. I managed to prick her, but I didn't get enough blood. Then she ran into the closet and I had to coax her out with food. We were running late by this time and I wanted to give her her shot, so instead of traumatizing her more... I let her finish her food (she ate a whole can of fancy feast! woohoo!), then gave her the shot.

I guess I'll try the BG test again in the morning. Sigh. I have the lancet device set at 4, maybe I need to set it higher? I tried to squeeze around the prick, but not enough blood pooled.

Also, Peter is bringing Chloe to vet on Thurs afternoon, supposedly 7 hours after her shot. He is closed during that time for surgery. Should I push her shot back an hour to 10:30am, so when he reopens at 5:30pm, it's been 7? Or will that mess up her schedule too much? If it's 8 or 8.5 hours, is that waiting too long? She's on ProZinc insulin. Vet isn't in tomorrow, don't know if anyone will be in the office for us to ask.

Sigh. I feel like a BG failure. Ugh. Could I have reused the lancet that I used on her the first time to try and prick her again? Or do you change everytime?

Such a newbie... I'll have it all down pat soon.

EDIT: Oh, yeah. I tested myself first. 140. Not bad.

12. tajana340

tajana340 Member

I saw amazon.com had U40 syringes and they are half the price than the vet and don't need a prescription I don't think.

David

13. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

If you go to the pharmacy they will usually sell you a 10 pack of syringes instead of the whole box while you are waiting for an order to come in. I think I paid $3.50 for 10.They didn't have the half unit markings, but got me through till my order got here.

14. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I started by testing Maui on the bathroom counter. I'd brush her first, test, brush some more.

Then as I got the hang of testing, I'd test her wherever she was - bed, sofa, chair, back of sofa, didn't matter.

So, as you get the fundamentals of testing down, you may want to experiment with different places to test that work for you. Or even go to the cat and test where he may be napping.

Congrats!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.