I feel like a newbie all over again

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Connie & Em (GA), Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Connie & Em (GA)

Connie & Em (GA) Member

I guess that is because I am, just a whole new disease.

Forgot how overwhelming the emotions are when learning about these things..

Ollie has been diagnosed with a sarcoma. It's been removed twice, and each surgery was progressively harder on him. The second showed up 1 year to the day of the first, and now it has been five months, so surgery really wouldn't be good for him. Looks like my other options really aren't options either as they are only hopes of help, not really concrete help.

I have an appointment with a wonderful holistic doctor who does acupuncture and herbal medicine in two weeks.. Not sure what she can offer him but I am not afraid to open that door and look.

Vet thinks he has about a year

Connie
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_UPy3-7G2GN0/S ... CN0049.jpg

2. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Depending on the kind of sarcoma the tumor may be treatable. Quirk's was a mixed squamous/adenosarcoma and it responded very well to radiation, less so to chemo. The squamous is a fast killer in cats but the mixture with the adenosarcoma gave us six high quality months.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

sorry to hear this connie. a friend of mine just treated her cat for a sarcoma with a $2500 check she received from the pharmacutical company who makes the vacines that cause so many of these sarcoma's. she did'nt even ask for $ but related to them that she'd learned of a connection. they paid her off to go away. wish i could remember the name of the company. i will find out if your interested. her kitty is doing very well post chemo.
    there is a message board i believe (VAS) vacine asscoiated sarcoma...you are not alone.
    let me know if you want more info. i'm going to look up in think tank becuase i think i started a thread about this some time ago.
    again, i'm so sorry to hear...

4. Heather82372

Heather82372 Member

Hi there, I looked up the word sarcoma and found this thread. My Koda just had surgery yesterday to remove a growth from his hip. They are sending it in for biopsy - the waiting is gonna stink. I'm hoping it's just scar tissue or something, but he did just have exploratory abdominal surgery in November and I can't help but wonder if they gave him some kind of shot in his hip (vaccine or pain meds or antibiotics...). How soon after an injection would sarcoma show up?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Heather i don't believe either pain meds or antibiotics are the culprit, and for the life of me i wish i could remember the name of the company that makes virtually ALL of the animal pharmacueticals....i think it's over in the old FDMB. It is only the vaccines that have been associated with sarcoma's.
    When i next see the woman who had this unexpected settlement from them, either tues. or thurs. i'll ask and then post.
    i could'nt seem to locate the message board either....altho i know i was there back when this all happened confused_cat

6. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

Unfortunatley the reality is any injection that causes inflammation can possibly cause a sarcoma. Yes, mostly vaccines are related to certain sarcomas but there have been a few cats, few and far between, that have gotten sarcomas from other injections...and even at least 1 cat getting it at a micro-chip injection site. Some cats are just more prone to get these reactions. I do know however that VAS(vaccine associated sarcoma) is a nasty monster that needs to be treated in any way the cat can handle; surgery, chemo, radiation or pallative care. My Remi was not a candidate for anything other than pallative care at his 5th recurrance..too many other health issues conflicting with treatment. I wish I was told from the first onset my choices.
    We did try accupuncture but it did not buy us much time...but ECID. If you can...please go to an ocologist to get another opinion.
    I am not the authority on this monster but I do belong to the yahoo VAS support group(that is where othere memebrs have reported sarcomas from other injections). Please do visit that group to get more info. It is a sad place to have to go but worth the knowledge you gain.
    Good luck and I hope you have way more than the year they give!

7. Heather82372

Heather82372 Member

Would the sarcoma show up at the vaccine injection site or could it show up somewhere else? And does it show up fairly soon or years later?

8. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

9. Connie & Em (GA)

Connie & Em (GA) Member

Hi Heather.

I once had a foster kitten get a growth at an injection site that was pretty quick - a week or so after the injection. Ollie had his last set of injections at least a year prior to getting his sarcoma. He has not gotten any more since it first showed up, and it regrew a year later and then five months after that.

I have an appointment with a wonderful alternative healing vet who I have seen do some wonderful things in the past tomorrow, and an appointment with an oncologist on Wednesday. Hopefully we'll have some ideas to help Ollie keep his growth in check for as long as possible.

I hope your kitty is doing well.

Connie

10. Heather82372

Heather82372 Member

Thank you all so much for the info. The vet called this evening with Koda's results. Injection site inflammation - no cancer!!! :) Yay!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

what happened to connie and ollie????
    and so happy to hear the good news heather!

12. Connie & Em (GA)

Connie & Em (GA) Member

ohmygod_smile Well I just stepped all in it. I forgot all about Ollie's appointment this morning and ended up going to work instead. *sigh* rescheduled it for the 27th. But we still have the oncologist tomorrow..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.