? I find this a bit unusual, what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by rbrumbaugh82, May 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbrumbaugh82

rbrumbaugh82 Guest

This person has insulin and wants to give it to someone that needs it. However, I do not feel comfortable sending documentation proof such as a bank statement or anything silly like that to her to show her that I am low income. Anyone else have someone ask for personal info like that just so they can send you insulin? I'll just pass on that and someone figure out to get insulin from somewhere. I just read somewhere about ordering from Canadian Pharmacies that it can take a few weeks to get the insulin and I can't wait that long. No place around here will split a box and I can't afford to pay over $300 for insulin. So I guess I will just stop asking for insulin and such on here because I am not going to share personal information just to get insulin.

2. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

I think most of us here just pass on supplies we can't use to whoever wants them TBH - it wouldn't occur to me to ask for a bank statement to prove you need it more than anyone else.

I've got Rosa's leftover Lantus you can have for the cost of mailing it if you want - it should be good for another month or so - it's been stored in the fridge the whole time and not shaken around or anything. I'm not going to be able to use it up before it's no good (or at least I hope I'm not!!) so I'd rather pass it along to someone who can at least use up some of it...it feels like a real waste to throw it out as it's got to be $200 worth of the $300 it cost me! It would buy you time to order from Canada at the least. I'm not sure exactly what the postage would be to get it to you kept at the right temperature, but I can find out and figure something out with you if that helps.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

No, you shouldn't have to "prove" you are low income....that's ridiculous

Ordering from Marks has been taking pretty close to just a week from the time they get the script to your door (that's even as far as Florida and the East coast) so if you can get enough to last a week or so after you get your script into Marks, you should be OK

4. Nancy & Cootie (GA)

Nancy & Cootie (GA) Member

That sounds like a scam . . . If the person who asked for your personal financial info is someone who posted on this website's Supply Closet I would use the Report button to notify the moderators. Sounds highly inappropriate to me.

5. rbrumbaugh82

rbrumbaugh82 Guest

I agree. I have a somewhat local Walmart to check into tomorrow on Lantus and a pharmacy near me. Those are only options other then the Canadian Pharmacy BJ suggested to me on here on.

6. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

Target had the cheapest price for Lantus, I believe I paid just over $200.00 for my bottle.

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you tried a Target store? They're one of the bigger places that's been known to be willing to split open a box and sell a single pen.

Also, hospital pharmacies or pharmacies that provide medications to nursing homes are sometimes willing to

8. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Ryan @rbrumbaugh82 , I'm just checking that you saw April's post above, and her kind offer of Rosa's Lantus..?

And no, I don't think it's appropriate for someone to have to give proof of financial circumstances to someone just wanting to donate supplies.

Eliz

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I do not think it is that usual to ask for some information since there are people who do try to get free stuff when they have the capacity to pay for it. However, asking for really personal financial information like bank statements is going way to far.

Lori & Lulu likes this.
  10. rbrumbaugh82

rbrumbaugh82 Guest

Just getting a migraine over VETS. They won't write in a prescription UNLESS I take Pooper's in so that they can do a few tests to check his glucose levels and see my info on his numbers. Going to cost over $100 they said for all that on top of the dang insulin. I was just wanting to get the insulin but no they want to do tests and collect more money. ERRRRR

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Well, they have some requirements to maintain their licensure - no prescribing without an exam is probably one of them if the cat hasn't been seen in a while. If, however, you have been tracking his glucose, you have data showing he still needs insulin, and what level of control you have established, so their tests are superfluous.
    Should you need to go vet hunting, see my signature link Vet Interview Topics.

12. rbrumbaugh82

rbrumbaugh82 Guest

Yeah plan to switch vets. I can understand them wanting to see his glucose but I have documentation on what his numbers have been and how much insulin he is getting they still want to run these fructose tests and such that will add up to be over $100. IF they just wanted to see him and see how he is doing that is one thing but to run these new tests to check his body out is stupid IMO. They just seen him a few months ago.

13. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

A fructosamine test isn't really useful when you have lots of day to day monitoring. Tell them that's a waste of your money.

14. rbrumbaugh82

rbrumbaugh82 Guest

Yes that is what they want to run. I am going to talk to the Vet this afternoon about it and plan to switch to a closer Vet next week or once I get the prescription hoping the Vet will do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.