I have a 15 yr. old Red Abby w/ Diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Abby Synian, Apr 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abby Synian

Abby Synian New Member

Recently she has been crashing bad and seizuring. Come to find out I think I've been giving her too much insulin and I feel horrible about it. She's been on Prozinc for about 3 years now. I've been giving her 3.5U twice a day for a long time and no repercussions. Now this. Gave her some corn syrup and got her bgl back up. Took her to emerg. vet and they said they thought the 3.5 was too much. Vet says their systems can change and actually they can become normal again (no diabetes) who knew, unfortunately not Elly's case.

I have started reducing her dosage to 1-1.5Us 2x daily. Through this Forum I found the dry food Young Again Zero Mature. She loves it. I'm hoping this will help w/ her levels. I also feed her 1/2 can of Fancy Feast Chunky Chicken as a treat.

I use the AlphaTrak monitoring system to test her bgl. The test strips are expensive $50/bottle of 50 strips so I thought I would try the Freestyle Insulinx strips as someone noted in this forum (love this forum) they are $10 cheaper and you get 100 strips vs. 50. Here's my dilemma. I just tested her w/ the AlphaTrak strips (using a code on the monitor) - results 493, and also tested her again using the new Freestyle strips - results 465. There was no code to put in the monitor for the FS strips so I left it alone - but the monitor still has the code for the AT strips. Wondering if anyone can shed some light on the discrepancy of the results and which result should I go with? I know it's not a huge difference but if her bgl gets low it could be.

Thanks for reading.
    AS

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Glad Elly’s doing better and you’re testing her BG. That’s the best way to keep her safe! The difference you see in your meter is normal. Even the same drop of blood can test with up to a 20% difference. I’ll tag @JanetNJ as she uses insulinx strips and can tell you more.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Honestly that's pretty much the same number. You could get differences like that even with two alpha strips. The higher the number (and 400's are HIGH) the more likely to be a difference like that.

Sharon14 likes this.
  4. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Darnell & Sprocket (GA) Well-Known Member

The alpha monitor is a pet meter. The freestyle strips are for a human meter but work with the pet meter. Thats why there is no code.
    Have you been testing midcycle too?
    I will look at your spreadsheet
    ok you dont have a spreadsheet.
    Have you written any tests you have taken down on a sheet of paper you could take a pic of for now?

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board Abby and Elly and the best place you never wanted to be. I think it would be very beneficial for you to post on the Prozinc forum so that the experienced members can read about your history and concerns, and offer some input.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/
    Please create a signature and set up the spreadsheet so that they can see what's been going on and help you to help your fur baby to better health, more BG stability and to feel better.
    Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.
    Spreadsheet:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/
    One note, a diabetic cat is always going to be diabetic. But, remission is possible, the kitty is just a diet controlled diabetic and periodic testing is advisable so if something happens to change that, you are aware of it. Idjit is one of those lucky ones and we got there because of this board.

6. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

You'll find that the lower the number the closer they will be together...Welcome and see you over in Health!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.