I have no idea what the next step is

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Angie & Millhouse, Dec 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angie & Millhouse

Angie & Millhouse Member

While I may or may not have messed up his units this week, his numbers continue to be very high and I'm just not sure what to do at this point. I did another curve today and based on the last few weeks, it seems like he needs his dose increased, but I just have no idea if that is right or not. I'm starting to panic that I'm not going to get this under control for Millhouse.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Please don’t panic. You will get this under control! Have you tried posting in the Lantus Forum? That would be the best place to get dosing advice.

3. Angie & Millhouse

Angie & Millhouse Member

I looked there, but the thread titles intimidated me. Besides, his week history and the uncertainty of the previous week's dosages is really upsetting me.

4. Sharon14

Yes that forum can seem intimidating at first, but the yellow stickies at the top of the page have some great info in them. Try not to be too upset (easier said than done, I know. I spent a lot of time in tears when my cat was first diagnosed!) His SS doesn’t look as bad as you think. Yes his numbers are still a bit high, but the insulin is working. He went from black to yellow today, a nice drop.

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Since we're unsure about the dose at AMPS on 12/13, you'd want to hold the 2.5 at least one more cycle so you have a total of 6 before making the decision to increase.

Our advice also depends a lot on which dosing method you're going to use. Tight Regulation or Start Low, Go Slow? The stickies at the top of the Lantus forum describe the differences.

TR gives the best chance at remission because we can raise the dose by .25 as often as every 6 cycles if it's not getting them where we want them. That reduces the chance of having glucose toxicity set which may require a higher dose later on to break through the resistance......but it requires a canned or raw food diet only and a little more frequent testing (but if you can continue to test as much as you have, you're good!!). Reductions in dose are earned if they drop below 50 on a human meter.

SLGS only allows dose increases every 7 days, so it can leave them in higher numbers longer than we may like, but it doesn't require quite as much testing. Reductions are earned when they drop below 90.

6. Angie & Millhouse

Angie & Millhouse Member

I would be happy to see him drop below 200. I feel pretty helpless. He depends on me to help him and I feel like I'm failing. I can't describe how upset I was to see that one syringe at the wrong dose. Like, what the heck?? I'm trying so hard and to possibly have made such a careless error.

7. Chris & China (GA)

Don't blame yourself....we're all human and we make mistakes.

He'll get there......time to jump into a pair of patience pants!!

Here's a pair we share among ourselves (don't worry, we wash them between owners...LOL)
    [​IMG]

8. Sharon14

You are not failing him! Everyone of us has made mistakes, point is you’ve recognized your mistake and you’ve corrected it. You came close to seeing that first blue number today with that 204. You’ll get there!:bighug:

9. Angie & Millhouse

Angie & Millhouse Member

So one more cycle at 2.5u, check at +6 and if it's still high, increase by .25? Does that seem right?

10. Angie & Millhouse

Angie & Millhouse Member

I can't get past the thought that on the days when his dose MIGHT have been 1.5u, his PS numbers weren't a high. What does that mean?

11. Chris & China (GA)

Yes, tomorrow morning shoot 2.5 and if you don't see any greens or lower blues, you could increase to 2.75 tomorrow night

12. Angie & Millhouse

Angie & Millhouse Member

So yesterday's AMPS was 530. Today 247?? I am so confused by these swings. I held at 2.5 and will see what the day brings.

Sharon14 and Timbo418 like this.
  13. Hogan

Hogan Member

I'm in the same boat as you, just starting out and feeling like I'm doing things wrong. So no advice, just moral support! It's so hard because you want to "fix" them. I got my first black (over 500) yesterday and I felt like an utter failure. But you just have to give it time for their bodies to adjust.

Sharon14 likes this.
  14. Angie & Millhouse

Angie & Millhouse Member

AMPS was 247, 2.5u and his +6 was 315. How can this be?

15. Chris & China (GA)

The simple answer is Millhouse is a cat....and they love to confuse and confound us mere humans.

I think you're good to go up to 2.75 tonight

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.