I just adopted a diabetic cat.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rafferty, Dec 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rafferty

Rafferty New Member

Hello, all! I'm Rafferty, and I just adopted a special girl named Mari.

I went to the animal shelter today, searching for a "less adoptable" cat - someone older or with special needs who might otherwise have a hard time finding a home - since I have the time and the energy to give a good life to one of those guys. I was lucky enough to meet Mari, who is 10 years old, a recently diagnosed diabetic, and a bundle of love.

I'll admit that I'm a bit nervous about all that comes with a diabetic cat, but Mari crawled right into my heart, and I'm excited to help her get and stay healthy and to give her a happy life!

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Aww....that is a sweet face!

Hello Rafferty and Mari. You are special person to take her in! We are here and have a ton of information to help out. If you want to post your specific questions on the main health forum, more eyes will see it.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

That’s wonderful! We are here to help!

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

What a wonderful thing to do and for this “special needs” kitty! We can help you to help her. :)

5. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

You don't adopt them, they adopt you.
    We know all about this. Kobiashi was a 28 pound monster that some idiot left behind when they moved. Definitely not a calendar cat and pretty much unadoptable. He was already crated when we picked him up, maybe they thought we'd back out of the deal if we saw him. He just popped out of the crate and in 5 minutes was on our bed. You did the right thing.

6. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome! We adopted Whisper as a diabetic just over two years ago, but we had a diabetic the "natural way" (our 12 year old, found at 4-6 weeks in a gas station parking lot, became diabetic after a steroid shot) first, so super thumbs up for jumping in head first! If only there were more folks like you :bighug:

You won't regret it for a second :D

Best,
    Sandi.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  7. DavesMom

DavesMom Member

What a wonderful gesture! Welcome to you and Mari. We are definitely here to help. I suggest changing her diet to a low carb wet food first, as that can make a huge difference!

8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to you both!

Make sure you're home testing before making any diet changes and then do the changeover gradually! (Risk of insulin overdose when changing carb load.)

Bless you for giving Mari a forever home. :bighug:

Mogs

Rafferty likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.