I just wanted to say thank you to all = Feline Diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MickeyLuvsLeo, Jul 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MickeyLuvsLeo

MickeyLuvsLeo New Member

Back in 2016 my cat Leo was diagnosed with diabetes. I had a couple of posts here and people were generous enough to respond. It has been a roller coaster of vets, bills, problems, etc.
    But, in January 2017 Leo was able to stop taking insulin. He was previously eating dry food (all his life only had dry food) and I decided to cold turkey switch to canned food. Of course- everyone (cats) loved that. (mickey is his childhood friend that = the "we")
    My point for this post was to say thank you so much for all of the advice and the helpful information. I could not have done what I went through without your help. The vets were very little help and I really felt like I gained an understanding here that I was not able to get from my vet.

Leo ended passing away in March 2017 (2 weeks after his birthday :( ) from something unrelated. (congestive heart failure). Strangely, the heart failure was a surprising development just like the diabetes but for which I could not stop. (By the time I realized something else was wrong - it was too late, CHF comes fast)
    Anyhow, I wanted to let others know that he was totally different after I started giving him canned food. He improved drastically and after about 6-9 weeks of insulin injections and numerous testings.. One day I tested him and it was backwards. I realized he went back to normal and I stopped giving him insulin. To those who are new - it is possible to reverse diabetes. Leo was never overweight or had any other health problems. When this all started - it was just after about 3-4 months after we moved in with a friend (not our choice) and our dog passed away. So, maybe the changes had a major effect on him. Anyhow, THANK YOU. If you want to see our past interaction here just look up Mickeyluvsleo. Funny, Mickey is the only one left now. And since his only friend (Leo) all his life has passed, I know that he is trying to adjust too. He has had some problems with constipation (for which at the moment Miralax has come to the rescue) THANK GOD! Anyway, I tried to make his life a little more interesting by now taking him outside with a leash and letting him walk around. Now, no leash - he goes right out the dog door in the morning and looks at the birds and lizards and who knows what else. But, I think it is a joy for him. He comes back in through the dog door when he is done. Something I would never let either of them (before) outside for fear of disapearing! Mickey is 17 now and will turn 18 in November.
    My life with these precious souls (Mickey (cat) Leo (cat) and Bella (Scottish Terrier) has been full. These were unexpected close friendships I was lucky enough to have.
    Wish me luck with Mickey boy. He is the last of my people. What a trooper he is! I attached his pic. Wish us luck! THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU!

Attached Files:

2. MickeyLuvsLeo

MickeyLuvsLeo New Member

I attached some more photos for you here. Leo with his bowtie on his 17th birthday. Bella about a month before she passed away and Mickey and Leo in Bella's bed after she passed away. Thank you, friends. Take care.

Attached Files:

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing your story.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Thank you for this. :bighug:

5. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Your family is adorable, beautiful photos, thank you for sharing :bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh I like your post! I like the pictures even more!

7. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing. You have some great memories with some great furkids.

Thank you for also highlighting - some kittehs can be healthy diabetics, and some can even have diabetes reversed. Very nice pics of your furry kids.

8. Arkali

Arkali Member

Thanks so much for sharing your story, and I'm sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose them--been there, done that. :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.