I keep right on a'postin'

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ibdcat, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibdcat

ibdcat New Member

I don't know if my posts are coming through or not. I let everyone know yesterday that I finally was able to get Martha's bg---215. Today, it was 183--
    I think this is great, but would like some feedback.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

These numbers are without insulin and a bit of dry food in the diet, is that right?

We consider normal bg levels for a non diabetic cat to run between 40-120 without insulin, with the majority of the time spent in the double digit range. She is a little higher than that, but not by much.

If she is still eating dry, and you could take that out of the picture, her numbers might go down into the normal range. Oliver was eating completely dry. We changed in one day, and his bg levels went down 100 points overnight. So it can make a huge difference.

3. Monica and Atticus (GA)

Monica and Atticus (GA) Member

Looking better. I'd also encourage you to completely switch her to a low-carb wet food. I saw in an earlier thread that Martha had a vet appointment yesterday to discuss whether she needed to start insulin. How did that go?

4. Your posts are coming through. I (and a couple other people) responded to your post about your first successful test. You also asked about low phosphorus foods, and there were a couple of links to lists of foods in the replies in case you haven't seen them yet.

Those numbers are really great! You said in the other thread that she wouldn't eat the M/D after the first day. Unfortunately, that is pretty common. It must taste terrible! My cat Bob did the same thing, and I ended up returning the cans to the vet for a refund. Is it the canned or the dry m/d that you are using? Neither is really great in terms of carbs, and if you can look at the low phosphorus lists and find anything with lower carbs, her numbers would drop even lower.
    M/D canned is 14% kcal from carbs, and the dry is 13%. If you can find anything less than 10% on the lists, she'd be better off.

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.