I lost Dollbaby tonight via the cat-sitter ODing her

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LGoddess, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LGoddess

LGoddess Member

[​IMG]

I've sought help from this board before since Dollbaby has struggled with her diabetes last summer. The above photo was from last Tuesday morning when I woke up to find Dollbaby sharing my pillow with me. I awkwardly stretched my arm to take photos of us lying there together. We then cuddled for half an hour before I finally got up. She was healthy, playful, and energetic. Later that day, I left for a five day conference. I left her in the care of an ex-roommate who had watched her last year when I had gone on a trip and that I had trained on how to spot any symptoms that might arise.

As I drove home today, the cat-sitter texted me about a sudden ant infestation I had and when I would be back. I said in a few hours hours.

When I arrived, I found Dollbaby lying on the floor unable to move. She had drooled and peed all over herself. I quickly tried to take her blood sugar, but her ears were ice cold and I could draw no blood to the surface. I called the emergency vet and scooped her up. This cat who always hated to be picked up was as limp as a ragdoll. She meowed weakly as I rushed her to the car. Later the vet told me that she had suffered severe kidney failure. I signed the Do Not Restite order for my best friend of 14.5 years. I then signed the order for her death. When I looked into Dollbaby's face, she had already suffered extreme damage in her eyes, her face was hollow, and she had lost weight. My boyfriend and work supervisor came to be with Dollbaby and me for the end.

I later found out what had happened: the cat-sitter had purposely overdosed her on insulin. I don't know what caused it, but Dollbaby's sugar dropped yesterday. The cat-sitter found her chin resting on the water bowl and she was not moving. Instead of calling me, she picked Dollbaby up, placed her on the bed and then shot her with 3 units on insulin. The cat-sitter later said by text that she purposefully decided to let Dollbaby die. When she returned this morning, Dollbaby had left several messes on the floor and on the bed. The cat-sitter dropped a dishtowel on one of the messes on the floor. She then pumped another 3 units into Dollbaby. Next she texted me about the ants.

My best friend was murdered. She suffered a horribly painful death. I don't know what to do about this revelation that she was purposefully forced into kidney failure when her blood sugar was already low.

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Re: I lost Dollbaby tonight

How tragic, how sad and how cruel. Save that text message in case you need it to prove animal cruelty. You have my deepest sympathy on the loss of Dollbaby and I can understand the rage you may be feeling. Why would she have done that? What was her reasoning? I would file charges...it won't bring Dollbaby back but it may help you to prove that she wasn't "just a cat"......she was your loved pet. My heart goes out to you. To think that someone you trusted could do that is unbelieveable.
    [​IMG]

3. patrick_777

patrick_777 Member

Yes. File charges and report this to the police.

Also, call a local news station. This is the type of story they need and want to report.

4. nancy and payne

nancy and payne Well-Known Member

I am so sorry, my heart goes out to you .... now go fight for the justice your beloved baby deserves!

5. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I am truly sorry for your loss.

And in this most tragic manner.

File charges. Call the newspapers. Call your vet.

Call the local Bar Association and ask if there are any attorneys that
    specialize now in animal welfare issues (it's an emerging area of law practice).

Call your local humane society and ask if they have any way to prosecute this.

In the circumstances you did the right things for Dollbaby. What a
    terrible place to be in.

I hope you have some wonderful memories of Dollbaby to bring you comfort...

...'til you meet again.

6. Laura and Harley (GA)

Laura and Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Fly free Dollbaby on the wings of angels... wings_cat rb_icon

LGoddess, may the lifetime of warm and precious memories you and Dollbaby shared comfort and sustain you now.

God have mercy on a person who would commit such a terrible act - because I would have none. Fight for your furbaby, fight and win.

7. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

This just makes me sick to my stomach. I am so sorry for your loss, especially under these circumstances. There is no way to know if she would have pulled through the original hypo, but I wish your pet sitter would have tried to help at the very least. It sounds like she panicked and made the (obviously) wrong choice. I really hope this ex-roommate isn't a real friend, because I would seriously think about pressing cruelty charges as others have suggested. No one should even think to do something like that in that situation. I pray that you can soon find peace in your baby's passing.

8. Janet & Binky (GA)

Janet & Binky (GA) Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

I am so sorry for your loss. This is just horrifying.

I agree that you should consider reporting this woman to the police, or to your local anti-animal cruelty organization. A person who would do this to one cat would do other sick, horrific things as well.

Many hugs,

Janet

9. Myriam and Mookie

Myriam and Mookie New Member

I am so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you.

10. Julius' Mom

Julius' Mom Member

There are no words to describe how I feel reading your story, report that woman to the police, do whatever you have to do to get justice for your kitty, I am so very sorry.

11. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

omg.
    i am sickened and absolutely crushed by the unnecessary loss of your precious girl. i am so deeply sorry, she certainly dd not, could not possibly, deserve to have her life end like that.
    i find myself without words at the sheer horror of this.
    i also implore you to report this person to every agency possible (your local rescue groups or shelter will have list for you to use to contact). draw as much publicity as possible, cause as much public outcry as possible. a person that would blatantly harm an innocent creature like that is emotionally/mentally sick and dangerous.
    i would need help to come to peace with an event so horrific, i hope you have people around you to help you.

just so you know from the medical stand point, she was NOT aware once she was OD'ed, the brain cannot function without glucose, without awareness there is no suffering. do you understand what i am saying?
    the only sane thing i can say here is to please remember that her whole life is not the sum of her last few moments~ please hold in your heart all the wonderful years and years you gave her and the perfect love and happiness. she would want you to remember that.... for that is what she will remember.
    my heart breaks for you.

fly free dollbaby......
    you were a good girl.

((hugs))
    ~jojo

12. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

OMG, I am so sorry. This is truly horrifying!
    Dollbaby didn't deserve this.

wings_cat Fly free dear sweet Dollbaby...

13. LGoddess

LGoddess Member

I most certainly hope this is true, thank you. She seemed able to look at me and I hope, recognize me, but the big reason I decided to let her go was because I could see that she had already began to wander off and leave me anyways. Just...oh, God. I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive myself for not recognizing the evil in this person.

My Dad isn't helping with his words of, "If you hadn't gone on that trip, she might have lived a couple more years."

14. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I have no words. (((((LGoddess))))) Fly free, sweet Dollbaby. wings_cat

15. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Do your former roommate a favor and press charges. She needs help. That she confessed this to you, that's got to be an awareness of wrongdoing. Who knows who she'll target next if not confronted now. Her behavior is just unspeakable.

16. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry for your loss of your sweet Dollbaby, and in such a way, that is truly horrifying. I am with everyone else, press charges and fight for justice for your beloved little girl. If your former room-mate could do that to a beloved pet, what other dangers does she present to the rest of the world? At the very least she needs to be stopped from ever owning a animal, and I fear for any child she may ever have or be asked to baby sit.

May a lifetime of happy memories of your beloved girl comfort you now, until you meet again.
    At least know that Dollbaby is in good company at the Bridge, she is most surely playing with all her GA friends from here.

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

17. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I too am very saddened by Dollbaby's passage. I am appalled by your "cat sitter's" actions.

18. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry --- Fly free, ~~~~Dollbaby~~~~!

Definitely report your 'cat-sitter'. Who is next? Will she put a pillow over grandma's head to help her sleep more quietly? What a cruel and monstrous act in her deliberate OD.

19. Charliemeow

Charliemeow Well-Known Member

My heart breaks for you. Fly free sweet Dollbaby.

20. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

OMG, I'm absolutely horrified that this happened. I can't even begin to imagine how you feel. My thoughts are with you. I hope you are able to get this story out, and to prosecute. That person is a sad excuse for a human being, and I hope that some amount of justice can be served. I am so, so sorry for your loss.

Fly free, sweet Dollbaby, and my you find peace.

21. Pat and Skipper (GA)

Pat and Skipper (GA) Member

This is utterly appalling!
    I am so very sorry for your loss.
    I hope you can take some comfort in Jojo's expert opinion that Dollbaby didn't suffer after the OD.
    Please do take every available legal action against the monster who did this to your girl.

22. Heather & Seasaidh (GA)

Heather & Seasaidh (GA) Member

I am so sorry for you for what this despicable and evil person would do to your beloved cat. As I type these words I have tears in my eyes for you. I am with everyone here that you need to get this story out and to prosecute this horrendous woman. Dollbaby was gorgeous and she knows how much you love her. Her spirit will live on and she will always be near you. ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

23. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

OMG that is awful awful horrible.. I am so very sorry for your loss. Wrapping you in many cyber hugs.

Your "friend" needs to be brought up on animal cruelty charges. She is not a vet and is not allowed to euthanize an animal, never mind in such a cruel way. OMG I cant believe that this happened to your baby.

Dollbaby is flying free now, whole and healthy over the Rainbow Bridge. rb_icon

wings_cat

24. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

My deepest and most heartfelt sympathy on this horrifying loss... my heart breaks for you.

I give you this one thought to keep:
    I am with you still; I do not sleep.
    I am a thousand winds that blow,
    I am the diamond glints on snow.
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
    I am the gentle autumn rain.
    When you awaken in the morning's hush,
    I am the swift, uplifting rush
    of quiet birds in circled flight.
    I am the soft stars that shine at night.
    Do not stand by my grave and weep;
    I am not there, I do not sleep.
    Do not think of me as gone-
    I am with you still- in each new dawn.

Wishing you some peace and comfort ... please remember the love you shared, and let that fill your heart.

25. cjaubz

cjaubz Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Please do report this person so they will no hurt any more animals in the future.
    I pray that the lord will give you peace.
    Hugs,
    CJ

26. KristenP&Sam

KristenP&Sam Member

Appalled doesn't really begin to cover it. This person needs to be stopped before they harm another animal. My sorrow for you over Dollbaby's tragic death is nothing compared to what you may be feeling, but I hope knowing how much we're all grieving with you somehow gives you comfort.

27. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh my dear Lord...I'm just...I'm mixed between anger at the monster that did this and my sadness for you. Your poor sweet innocent kitty. I'm just...so very sorry.
    Sharing the tears,
    jeanne

ETA: Light a candle for this sweet kitty...

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/can ... ng&gi=fdmb

28. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

My condolences to you during this time of unfortunate loss, there are no words to describe how I feel for you & Dollbaby.
    I pray you pursue putting this individual in the hands of law enforcement so they will get the help they so obviously need & punishment in the process too.

29. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dear LGoddess,

Dollbaby will always be beautiful in your heart.

Please accept my heartfelt condolences and deepest sympathies. And, please be gentle with yourself.

Hearts take time to mend; but, somehow and sometime they just do... And, one day or night, your heart will be flooded with sweet memories of your precious girl, and you will smile knowing she's okay now...

Fly free, precious Dollbaby! Wear your beautiful new wings proudly! Visit your mommy's dreams and heart to let her know you're okay now. But, especially visit to let her know your love will always endure in that part of her heart that you will always own.

Much love and countless gentle hugs,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever whispering in my heart...

Solace

From the silence of your pain I heard my name
    and on the wings of light I have come
    to see the sadness in your eyes
    that cry without tears.

Can you see me? I am here.

I will always be near you
    to calm your shattered heart
    and to make you smile at the memories.

Do you feel me, perhaps a soft brush of fur?

You ache to believe it's real
    but you are afraid to hope.

You brush away a strand of hair
    But it was I, whispering.....

I am only here for but a moment;
    The silver thread gently quivers.
    I will leave behind my love in a dream.

When you awaken, and without really knowing why
    Your heart will know at last
    That it is all right, for now
    to say good-bye.

Copyright © Lisa Carmel Singer Printed with permission

30. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I don't know what to say after reading this .. it just makes me sick to my stomach .. I'm so sorry for your loss ... Fly Free Dollbaby

31. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

I am totally shocked by your post. I am so sorry that you have lost Dollbaby. I would definately press charges or put her in jail. My prayers are with you.

Pattie

32. sueandsamwise

sueandsamwise Well-Known Member

So, so sorry. Press charges, this person is sick. Don't let your dad's unkind words get to you. I doubt he knew what his was saying. Please know that we are all saddened by your loss. :cry:

33. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

These words are cruel - You don't need that. Please DON"T believe it. And I would tell him you are hurt by it, and don't appreciate it.
    It was horrible what happened to Dollbaby. I am so sorry for your loss.
    Your baby is free now and happy. Waiting in a most beautiful place, until you meet again.

Fly free Dollbaby!

34. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry about what happened. Please know that you did what was best for Dollbaby and try not to feel guilty about the fact that you were aware. You had, what you thought was a good person to care for her and you can't and shouldn't blame yourself for the utter cruelty of a person you trusted and until now had no reason to suspect.

While nothing will bring her back or diminish the loss and anguish you are feeling, please do remember that she was well loved and cared for and you gave her the last act of love you could possibly give - release from a broken body.

And yes, go after this person. Sadly, most states look at our loved ones as property, so I suggest suing in small claims court the cost of your vet bills, cremation, urn and pain & suffering. While you're not looking for the money and it won't put the person in jail. It is something. You can always donate the money to a local animal shelter or humane society in Dollbaby's name.

File the lawsuit, then go online and file with People's Court and Judge Judy - they so love to get these kinds of people and public humiliation is a good thing.

Fly free Dollbaby, may you fly high among the clouds and land gently at the bridge.

35. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

You cannot sue for pain and suffering in small claims court.

And I would stay away from Judge Judy....she is unpredictable and does not listen well.

Sue in your own local small claims court...if that's what you decide to do.

BE PREPARED: with the text message, all vet records, costs, etc.

36. Susan & Sheba

Susan & Sheba Member

L Goddess,

I am so very saddened not only to hear of your loss, but to hear of how a beautiful, innocent and loving kitty was tortured and killed. This was a heinous crime and this person needs to be charged and convicted. The enormity of this crime reminds me of a case that happened a couple years ago, a few hours from where I live, in which a dog was tied to the back of a truck and dragged. There was immense publicity in this case and the boy who did it was a minor and he was tried. I can't remember what the sentencing was exactly, but there was an outcry from people that it was not stiff enough. Now I know that one of the reasons they didn't give him longer of a sentence was that he was a minor, and in your case it doesn't sound like your ex-roomate is a minor, so I imagine that she would be sentenced to jail for this, but I have no idea for how long. It is important, as previously suggested to keep all records of proof (texts, pictures, etc). See if you can get a paper copy of those texts from your service provider, if you have any contact with that girl again, I would suggest having a witness around, taping the conversation, getting it via text, or having a 3 way call so you have a witness, anything you can do to gather more info before she knows that you are going to charge her would be beneficial. Although I wouldn't wait too long to charge her. Another suggestion already made was to speak to a lawyer, even if you can't find one that would take the case pro-bono right now (although you probably will easily get one once this story is made public) at least get a free consultation to see what your next steps should be.

As far as your father goes, did he love your cat? It sounds like he is grieving the loss of Dollbaby as well, otherwise what reason would he have to say such a thing? Sometimes when we are grieving we say things we don't really mean and say things that are hurtful to others.

I for one know the immense difficulty that comes with having a diabetic cat, and a very, very large part of that difficulty is leaving them to go anywhere. It is so difficult to find someone who is capable and willing to watch a diabetic cat and there aren't alot of resources out there for people. At least I have found that to be this case. I have had things happen when I have gone away as well - twice to be exact in the last year and 3 months - two separate people, one of which was a trained and paid professional, luckily for me I don't think either time was intentional, but they were both definitely a form of neglect. It sounds to me like you had someone who was willing to learn, and she did, she also watched your cat for you prior to this and things were okay, so you had good reason to believe that things would be okay this time - obviously you would choose someone that you thought could do the job best, someone who knew Dollbaby and she would feel comfortable with. Also it was only 5 days, and how hard is it to take a cat to their vet and drop it off there if they are having problems, make a call to let you know? I have no idea what she was thinking, truly. Do you know why she would have wanted to do this, has she told you?

I am wondering if something could be done in her name to help all the people out there that have a hard time finding someone to watch or even to pay to watch their diabetic pet? A site or a page where people with experience can have their names in, so it is easier to find someone in your area, even a list of boarding places that have really good diabetic acceptable standards. If we have struggled with this imagine how many others have and will. Maybe there are experienced people who have lost their pet that would be willing to be a part of this and use their knowledge to provide safety to cats whose people need to go away. You were at a conference so it sounds like you really had to be there, we both are not from where we live so we need to travel in order to see our family and I just can't get across how difficult it is to do so. People should be able to have more resources where they can feel assured when they need to travel, as it is a part of life. I also have a habit of blaming myself for these things, but try not to do it, it sounds like you had everything covered - really it does - who would ever conceive a person they know to be capable of doing something like this?

I have cried and cried over this, and am sure to continue to do so, and all the kind words that people have given you are so heartfelt. I bless you to have everything you need to be able to get through this, strength, the ability to forgive yourself, friends and family that can support you and be with you, love , peace and eventually happiness.

Please take care and I am available to talk to, if you need me, just let me know.

Susan xoxo

37. hollyall

hollyall Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry for you loss. What a tragedy! May your sweet Dollbaby fly free and you find comfort in the good memories you have with her.

38. Barbara & Freddie

Barbara & Freddie New Member

I am so so sorry for your loss. This is sad beyond sad. Your photo is beautiful. She is quite the regal girl in heaVEN.

39. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

OMG how horrifying. I am so sorry for your loss, and for the awful circumstances surrounding it. If no one mentioned this, you might be able to get some advice from organizations like the ASPCA and ALDF (? Animal Legal Defense Fund if I remember right) as to your legal options.

Your pet sitter's decisions & choices are shocking, I just don't even know what to say. It is NOT your fault that you did not recognize whatever is going on with her that would make her think those are good choices. How could you know that? Who would even think that anyone at all would consider choices like that when there are phones at hand and vets nearby to get help from? There is no way you could possibly have even guessed at something like that, it is beyond bizarre.

Fly free sweet Dollbaby rb_icon

40. deb

deb New Member

All I can say is that I'm so sorry. I can't begin to comprehend how someone could do this. Know that Dollbaby knew how much you loved her. Wishing you comfort and peace.

Deb and Jake (GA)

41. Tantan and the White Avenger

Tantan and the White Avenger New Member

My heart hurts for you tonight. I am so, so sorry for your loss. I don't understand what kind of person would think ODing a cat is in any way an acceptable thing to do! I hope you're able to bring this messed up person to justice.

Do understand that your father's statement was absolutely out of line - it's akin to saying "Well, if you hadn't left your house to go to work, you wouldn't have been robbed". Awful people do awful things all the time, whether we're vigilant at home or leaving somebody we trust to housesit while we're away. None of this is in ANY WAY your fault.

There's nothing I can advise that hasn't already been mentioned here. I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of others who are shocked and grieving with you tonight.

42. erin_mc

erin_mc New Member

So sorry to hear about the loss of your best friend. Do what is best for you, and your own sanity, and if pressing charges would give you peace of mind down the road, and do justice for Dollbaby, remember you have options, and document as much as you can.

I'm sure I speak for everyone when saying this hits so hard to home for all of us, because we all worry ourselves crazy everytime we have to be away from out kitties and have to trust someone else to give them their needles. Gone are the days of having a neighbor kid come over and feed them.

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

Take care, you are in my thoughts..... please keep us updated with what you choose to do, we will support your decision

43. tessielou

tessielou Member

I believe in karma and this monster will pay for what she did to your sweet Dollbaby. That may sound terrible, but I can't help it. I feel sick over this.
    I'm very very sorry for your loss.

44. Helen & Snickers

Helen & Snickers Member

I am absolutely sickened by your post and the thought that someone would do that to your baby. I'm so, so sorry for your loss.

Please pursue action against this person.

45. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

I can't believe that someone would actually do this to your cat (or anyone elses)! I am sickend and outraged and sad all at the same time. I am so very sorry that you are going through this. My heart is breaking for you. Fly free dollbaby.

46. Lorraine + Nigel

Lorraine + Nigel Member

What a horrid, horrid person that would call herself your friend and take something so precious from you in such a cruel and heartless manner. And how thoughtless of your father to add insult to injury. How terribly saddened I am after reading this. There are no words at all that I could say to add to everyone elses horror and advice. My heart aches for you and the insurmountable sorrow you are feeling. I add my tears to the many being shed for you and your Dollbaby.

47. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I think what your cat sitter did was dispicable and horrible. My heart goes out to you, and my stomach is upset reading this. I hope you do everything you can to stop this person from ever taking care of another animal again.
    (((Hugs to you)))
    Fly Free Dollbaby
    wings_cat

48. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss, truly heartbreaking,...fly free Dollbaby
    (((((((hugs and prayers)))))

49. hollybee

hollybee Member

I have no words, only tears.......all paws in our home are crossed in prayer tonight ; (

(another course of action to consider is to get her added her to every Do Not Adopt list in your area and beyond)

50. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for you loss. What a tragedy.
    My heart goes out to you.

Fly free sweet Dollbaby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.