I made a big mistake with insulin dose

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Paul & Kit-10, May 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

West coaster here - up for a bit yet. Hope you get results soon.

2. Paul & Kit-10

Paul & Kit-10 Member

OK. I'll need a copy for his regular vet as well and explain my screw up.

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Night owl,me.
    Wishing for the best outcome.
    Your vet should have made doubly, triply (think I just made up a new word) sure that you knew the exact dose and line on the syringe.
    Your cat is alive and safe because of what you realized and did tonight. Well done, you.

4. Paul & Kit-10

Paul & Kit-10 Member

Well his # 150.

5. Paul & Kit-10

Paul & Kit-10 Member

Safe at home. Got a meter for cats. Will check before he eats in the am. Then go from there.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Paul that’s really good news. Well done!!

Did you read what Wendy said about some cats when overdosed can be really very sensitive to insulins so you need to go very slowly now. please post the Preshot number and don’t give any insulin until someone experienced talks to you.

Were all the blood tests ok?

In the meantime, can you set up a spreadsheet to add the BG numbers in.
    here is a link. If you have any trouble please tell us and someone will help you set it up.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

7. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

My goodness, he is gorgeous!!!!

Well done last night!

8. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Kitten looks like a love bug. I'm SO glad hes ok...Whew

9. Nan & Amber (GA)

10. Paul & Kit-10

Paul & Kit-10 Member

This morning his #527. Eatting food. Gave insulin. He's very leery of me today.

11. Paul & Kit-10

Paul & Kit-10 Member

Oh using an Alpha Teak 2 meter. I wish the time out on this machine was a bit longer. Didn't get blood the first time probably because he was a moving target.

12. Nan & Amber (GA)

What a lot of us do is to put the strip in the meter partway, only pushing it in completely when we know we have a blood droplet to work with :).

Did you give 1U, or did the ER vet suggest a different dose? If you can, it would be good to get another test some time during the day today. He's likely going to stay high in reaction to the lows yesterday (a phenomenon we call "bouncing", it's like a defense mechanism of the body), but he may not. And, as Wendy pointed out, there's the possibility that he has become very sensitive to even small doses of insulin.

I'm sure he's pretty wary of you at this point after all of yesterday's pokes plus an unexpected vet visit :eek:! Poor little guy. Are you giving a treat after each attempt? It doesn't take long for them to associate the pokes and the treats, eventually a lot of cats will come running any time you start getting the meter out!

13. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Whew. So glad to hear hes ok. TYVM for the up date. :)

14. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Freeze dried treats are low carb. They contain one ingredient – just freeze dried meat or seafood.

Glad everything has worked out fine. Don't be discouraged by today's numbers. As @Nan & Amber (GA) said, it's likely the body's reaction to what happened last night. His numbers will settle and then you will start to find out what Kitten's correct dosage is. It won't happen overnight. Regulating a cat is a marathon, not a sprint. We can help you every step of the way. There is a fountain of knowledge and experience here. Sadly, most vets get less than a day's training in diabetes, and that is for all animals.

And now that things has settled:
    In an emergency

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  15. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

This is for sure the most stressful thread I’ve ever followed here, so huge kudos Paul for acting quickly and saving the day! Or night in this case :p

I’ve always wanted a ginger cat and Kitten is a great looking kitty :cat:

also when testing, remember to warm up the ear. It makes a huge difference in getting enough blood out. Most of us use an old sock with rice in and nuke it for about 20-30 seconds. Press it against the sweet spot on the ear for about 15 seconds or until it’s warm to the touch. It sounds like Kitten is behaving and putting up with testing, but giving treats as suggested is a great reward especially when testing multiple times a day

you’re a great dad and you’re doing awesome! :bighug:

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  16. Paul & Kit-10

Paul & Kit-10 Member

Update #338 before dinner. Nibbled food throughout the day. Acting normal. Very playful. Sucked all the gravey out of food (brat).. gave him his one unit. His vet is in the know. At the begin do you usually check their blood before meals. I can after a while you can run out of real estate. Got a hit good by the vet techs last night. Thanks for the suggestions I use some of them and will try the rest.

17. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The vet techs that did bg on my cat always hit the vein. Not good. Aim for the edge and there won't be bruising. In the meantime you can put a little neosporin ointment with pain relief to heal the ears.

Yes, get a preshot.

18. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

that tiny drop never work for my Alphatrak, and 2 seconds later it spread into the fur and give ER3

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  19. JanetNJ

Maybe your cats ears have thicker fur than my cat? Just milk it another few seconds and the drop will grow. Also make sure to do that little protruding straw on the edge of the dot directly into the drop.

20. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

yup, doing all that. You are the best Janet but at some point i do have to let Bee go if i want to be able to test her tomorrow.

Edit: she does have hairy ears :) and no, i wont poke the inside of her ears.

21. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

put the strip in the meter but not all the way , when you get your blood drop, push the strip in

22. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I put a very fine layer of vaseline on the ear fur before poking - it helped it bead up instead of soaking in the to fur.

23. JanetNJ

As the capillaries grow in more they will learn to bleed easier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.