I made a costly costly mistake...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lovetheduns, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovetheduns

lovetheduns Member

My mom just called as she was cleaning up the kitchen and said she found that I had left the bottle of Prozinc out by the stove. She said the house was around 72 degrees but she just roasted a chicken and it was very warm in the kitchen.

:(

The insulin has been out for at least 5 hours and right beside the oven running for about 1.5 hours.

I am on the phone with the vet now to see if I can pick up another bottle.

Argh..

Has anyone done something like this before??

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Lots of us have done that. I would not automatically assume it is toast. Keep using it and see whether its efficacy is affected.

3. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Back when I used PZI Idexx I left the vial on the counter over night. I called the company and they said they had done tests on stuff like that and it was fine. So, like Venita said, keep using it and hometest to see if it is working. It may be fine.

4. lovetheduns

lovetheduns Member

Whew-- okay.

My vet said she thought it would be *ok*, but I think just to make sure I am going to have my mom pick up another bottle.. it will keep in the fridge.

She told me to look for any kind of crystals or particles.

Ugh.. I just can't believe I flaked out like that. *lol*

I think I was so excited that his AMPS was 142 this morning.

5. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I've been doing this since 2005 and on lots of cats, just this morning as I was writing Tucker's number in his BG journal I could not find last night's number.

I checked the monitor and the numbers don't look like I tested him last night but that's crazy. So, did I test and give Tucker a shot last night or not??? I flaked out and have no idea, thankfully this morning's BG was 252.

So, my point, don't worry about flaking out, we all do it :oops:

6. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree, it still may be good. I have left my insulin out overnight and it was ok. The vial may begin to lose potency sooner than it normally would, but it still should be good for a while.

7. skybar22

skybar22 Well-Known Member

As a type 1 diabetic for 46 years, I have used insulins, all kinds and have never had any go bad. In fact, I used to take out my NPH, open it and never refrig it again and it was always fine until I finished it. A few hours will not hurt it, IMO.

Lantus is more delicate but even that would probably be fine under these circumstances.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ummm, just did that, woke up and found i left vial out all night. oops. i'm totally assuming it survived my mistake. (after i finished beating myself up for it) :lol:

9. lovetheduns

lovetheduns Member

Well it looks like the insulin was okay last night. Yay!

So now, I just have an extra bottle in the fridge just in case anything happens to this one.

I am glad I am not the only one who has totally flaked out before with their bottle.

Thanks again everyone!

10. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I always recommend you have an extra container of insulin on hand.

We get occasional panic posts from those who have dropped and broken a vial, whatever.

When you open the 'spare' vial, get another one right away.

11. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Though I have not left ProZinc out yet, I have left another PZI variant out overnight - multiple times doh! - and things were OK. Unlike Lantus, PZI is known to be a very robust insulin - so you are in luck hopefully.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.