911 I MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE. DONT WANT HER TO DIE FROM IT. HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mom-mom's Mommy, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mom-mom's Mommy

Mom-mom's Mommy New Member

I used to be a member here about 3 years ago. Mom-mom (my cat) has been doing pretty well. As a matter of fact, lately I have seen really good numbers. Unfortunately, in the last 5 days, I have had 5 tragedies in my family with one, so far, fatal. I DONT have a clear head and I think I may have gave her the insulin at 9:30 and again at 11 p.m. Her number is dropping rapidly. Her insulin has been holding for 17-21 hours each time. She was at 233 when I shot, then in an hour went to 164, 20 minutes later 118, so I gave her about a tbsp. and 1/2 of honey, ice cream, treats, etc. Now 1/2 hour later she actually went up 2 points to 121. It's definately gonna be an all-nighter tonight. Can I do anything else? Like I said before, I THINK I shot her twice, I am 90% sure. What can I do????? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP

2. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Hey Lucy, take a deep breath and try to calm down a little.
    Can you tell me which insulin it is?
    Do you have any high carb dry food?
    What is she testing at now?

:bighug:

3. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Also switch the ? To 911 so that it will get more attention and let's see if we can get more eyes on this.

4. Mom-mom's Mommy

OMG Your cat looks EXACTLY like Lucy. I dont remember how to change the ? to 911. What area do I go into for that?

TempestsMum likes this.
  5. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Lol cool you have a very beautiful kitty! ;)

There should be an option if you click on the headline.

Can you let me know the info I asked in the questions

6. Mom-mom's Mommy

I figured out the 911. Is this where I answer you? Can you see this or am I in the wrong spot?

7. Mom-mom's Mommy

I am gonna test again right now

TempestsMum likes this.
  8. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Great and yes I can read you here

9. Mom-mom's Mommy

126 and I just gave her some more treats, she is eating them

TempestsMum likes this.
  10. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

That's good, ok so don't give her too much to eat, do you have any high carb gravy food? You can squeeze some gravy off and give her about a teaspoon. The dry food I would only give 4-5 pieces as you don't want to fill her up.

What insulin is it you are Using?

11. Mom-mom's Mommy

Levemir. That seems to work the best for her

12. Mom-mom's Mommy

I changed my name also. I started calling Lucy "mom-mom" a few years ago.

TempestsMum likes this.
  13. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Ok it's really useful to know the insulin type.
    So here's what you need to do. The last two numbers were really similar. So can you tell me how much you shot both times?
    And best to restest every 10-20 minutes just so I can be sure she is climbing or at least holding steady. :)

How old is your wee one?

14. Mom-mom's Mommy

Mom-mom is 14. Right now her dosage is a hair under 1.0. So that's the amount I shot, if I did, in fact, shoot twice. Again, I am not 100% sure if I did that for sure,, but it sure seems like it. She is eating her sheba wet food right now. Is that good? Or is it not any kind of sign either way????

TempestsMum likes this.
  15. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

well, maybe you didn't shoot twice! Let's hope for the best and that's the case and you've just scared yourself. Better safe than sorry. :bighug::bighug:

Don't let her eat too much! If you need to keep her numbers up it's best she doesn't fill up on low carb food. You want to 'trickle feed' with high carb so that she's keeping her bg up. Can you do another test?

16. Mom-mom's Mommy

Yes. Hang on 1 minute

TempestsMum likes this.
  17. Mom-mom's Mommy

163. I almost definitely HAD to shoot twice. After all the treats, food and 2 tbs. of honey, her numbers would have been astronomical by now don't you think?? So she went up another 40

TempestsMum likes this.
  18. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I think Levimer is a depot insulin, and I don't know much about it, I'm only familiar with ProZinc. it's good it was a low dose though even if you did shoot twice. But as I said better safe than sorry.

I'm just treating this as if you have shot twice and just like a hypo. :) That's fabulous news she's definitely climbing. How many hours now since the first shot and possible second dose?

19. Mom-mom's Mommy

I think I did the first one 7 hours ago and the second one 3 1/2 hours ago, approximately. I fell asleep during the test. I NEVER have done that. I had 4 or 5 tragedies in my family over the past week. So far only 1 death. Although there was an attempted suicide. My life has been so abnormally crazy, I don't even know if I AM coming or going. I guarantee this will never happen again. This cat is my entire life. She was diagnosed 4 years ago and she was 2.5 pounds, seriously. The vet tried to tell me to put her to sleep because she wouldn't make it. Well here we are, 4 years later, she is 17 pounds and looks great (most of the time, anyway) She is like my daughter to me. I don't have children, only 2 cats.

20. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Bless you, it never rains but it pours as we say here. Lots of hugs and prayers for you and your family. Please don't blame yourself for this, you are human and under a lot of pressure and I'm sure your stress levels are off the scale. :bighug::bighug:

She has a fabulous mummy! Believe me, you are coping with a lot and still taking care of her that's just amazing.

Ok so I have to go out (to the vets) I will be gone about an hour or so. Please don't panic, everything is going well. She's not dropped down into hypo numbers and is climbing. You will (if you shot twice) have 2 nadirs. I think levemir nadir Can be up to 12 hours after the shot. So it's really really important you continue to only trickle feed now until after the second nadir should be.

For now I would hold back on food and give a little every time you check her bg and it's staying in similar numbers or dropping. Dry food stays in the system for longer than honey or gravy so for me (personally) in this case that's what I would do.

You are doing extremely well! And so is kitty.
    I wish I didn't have to leave but you will be ok, just keep doing what you are doing.
    Test in another 30 minutes and see where she is. If she's the same/similar numbers or lower give a few more dry biscuits. if she's higher don't give anything.
    I will try to be as quick as I can. :bighug:

21. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Levemir is a depot insulin usually with a later nadir than Lantus. I have found that the nadir for me occurs anywhere from +8 to +12, so vigilant testing would be in order. Please keep testing and posting the numbers as you test.

22. Mom-mom's Mommy

You are such a kind person. You took all this time out of your day to help me with this. God Bless you for that. And for just "being the person that you are". You saved me from a real big panic attack.
    Thank You again.
    Good Luck at the vet, Have a nice day

23. Mom-mom's Mommy

I will post too.
    Thanks again

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  24. Mom-mom's Mommy

I really find that I get MUCH better numbers with Levemir than Lantus. I have tried both of them and definitely, hands down, Levemir works the best, for me anyway. Do you prefer Lantus???

25. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

How is your girl doing now? What are her last test numbers?

26. Tuxedo Mom

I used Lantus initially with my first FD kitty then switched to Levemir since the Lantus seemed to "sting" him. I still use Levemir with my other FD kitty and personally prefer it to Lantus. The only thing that I don't like sometimes is that the nadir is later and I have to do later testings.

Have you retested yet?

27. Mom-mom's Mommy

she was 163 an hour ago. I am gonna test again, hang on

28. Tuxedo Mom

How many hours after the shot was this reading? How many hours after the first shot did you possibly give a second shot. And how many hours after the possible second shot was this reading? Trying to get a time line figured out using the format of "preshot +1. +2 +3 hours after shot" to get a clearer picture. Since people can be in different time zones using the +1 +2 +3 method makes it easier to follow.

29. Mom-mom's Mommy

Her number is now 218. We pulled an all-nighter together, but we made it. It's 5:45 a.m here so it looks like I will be sleeping all day WITH the cat. It's a great day to sleep all day anyway. We are expecting heavy thunderstorms anyway all day and into tomm. I am in Pennsylvania. So since this little "episode", the one shot was at 9:45 p.m and the other was at 12:45 a.m should I still shoot at the correct time? That would be 12 hours from the last shot. 12:45 p.m. Only if she shows me high numbers

30. Mom-mom's Mommy

She is at 218 now. Thank God !!!! I am sooo tired from being up all night. But it sure does beat the other choice of possibly finding her dead. OMG.

JanetNJ, TempestsMum and Squalliesmom like this.
  31. Squalliesmom

You may still need to monitor her, since Lev seems to frequently have a late nadir (Mary Ann is much more familiar with Levemir than I am) and if my math is correct you're still only about 5 hours past the second shot.

Tuxedo Mom and TempestsMum like this.
  32. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Glad you got some more help, I'm in N.Ireland so it's still only 11am for me. Good going! Glad to see that number!

33. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Thank you, and you are more than welcome. I'm only too happy to help and pass it on for the help I got here. :bighug:

34. Squalliesmom

@TempestsMum , will you be able to stay with her for a while still? I have been up all night myself and don't know how much longer I can go without catching a nap. I don't know if Mary Ann is still here.

TempestsMum likes this.
  35. Tuxedo Mom

I am still checking in. Was going to go BTB after Maxie's shot but I will stay up and check in.

From my personal experiences with using Levemir with 2 kitties I found that onset was around +4 hours after shot, so if the possible second shot was done only 5 hours ago I would still do some more testings.

TempestsMum and Squalliesmom like this.
  36. Squalliesmom

Mary Ann, if you need to go BTB I can still hang in here for a little while. I just probably don't have more than an hour or so left in me.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  37. Tuxedo Mom

I will get a nap later. Had some coffee so I am good for a few hours anyway. :)

38. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Yes it's early for me so can stay here all day. Well on an off as I've work to do but working at home so can check every 30 mins - 1 hour. :)

JanetNJ and Squalliesmom like this.
  39. Squalliesmom

Thanks! :) I didn't want to leave if there was no one else to help her, and I know Tara said she has a vet appointment. If you're good to go, I will catch a couple of hours' sleep - I have to be back up in 2 1/2 hours anyway! Agh!:arghh:

JanetNJ likes this.
  40. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Tara! :)

TempestsMum likes this.
  41. Tuxedo Mom

It looks like @Mom-mom's Mommy is not on the forum right now. I do hope she saw the later posts about more testing. The last reading looks good, but safety is the prime concern.

Squalliesmom and TempestsMum like this.
  42. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I'm back was just a quick trip there and back and traffic was light. :)

Squalliesmom likes this.
  43. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You are doing a fantastic job and since your dose is not a lot it won't be difficult to steer. Don't beat yourself up about it. We've all made mistakes during times of sleep depreciation and stress.

Omg I'm so sorry for all the heartache your family is going through.

44. Squalliesmom

I know, I was wondering about that, too. I hope she did!

TempestsMum and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  45. JanetNJ

Times like this is so great to have people in time zones around the world. Well done keeping her calm and focused.

46. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

You all taught me well! :):)

47. Squalliesmom

Okay folks, I'm outta here! Zzzzzzzzz.......

TempestsMum, JanetNJ and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  48. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Sweet dreams!

49. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

50. Tuxedo Mom

Looks like she is still not on the forum. Unfortunately tagging only shows up when a person is actually on the forum. I hope her kitty is okay. The last reading looked promising, but the possibility of a second shot when the numbers dropped so much early in the cycle is worrying. :(

51. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

That's what I'm concerned about too. :( I thought maybe it would send an alert. I get an email ping if someone posts on here.

52. Tuxedo Mom

If you have set it for "watch thread" on a certain thread and your permissions are set for e-mail notifications then you will get an e-mail alert. However if she has already gone to bed...which I assume is what happened, since she was up all night...then she won't see any of the posts or alerts until she is awake again.

@Mom-mom's Mommy When you do see these comments please do post and let us know how your kitty is doing. We tend to worry about every kitty on this forum :bighug::bighug:

TempestsMum likes this.
  53. Mom-mom's Mommy

I am so sorry, my computer was low so I plugged it in for a while. I hope someone is still out there. I am going to check her again right now. 2 hours ago she was at 218

TempestsMum likes this.
  54. JanetNJ

I'm here

55. Mom-mom's Mommy

338. I am soooo glad. Because I couldn't find her at first, she was in a spot she has never been in before. She was laying on the basement floor, it is kind of humid out and it's really cool down there. We are coming out of a severe heat wave so I am giving the central air a small break. Her +12 is at noon time, (4 hours away). Now because of this I am scared to shoot. I definitely know to give her a reduction. She is at, just a hair short, of a 1.0. How much of a reduction do you think?. Back it down to .5 ???

TempestsMum likes this.
  56. JanetNJ

Well the problem was you thought you double shot, right? If that's the case no reason to reduce

57. JanetNJ

58. Mom-mom's Mommy

I was an active member 4 years ago, when she originally got sick. But I backed off for some reason. I am glad I decided to come back to this site last might. You guys are great. I learned soooo much from this site. I tell my VET things he didn't know. And he is 60 yrs. old. I have read several books also that the vet gave me to borrow. Too bad I am too old to go back to school, I'm 48. But then again, no matter how sick an animal is, I would NEVER be able to euthanize it. I would cry all day if I even saw it, LOL. I saw a seagull get run over by a car in Atlantic City and cried for an hour. My husband was soooo embarrassed. There was a lady that was feeding it cheese curls from her motel room and this young kid came flying in the parking lot and squashed it. My husband laughed all day about that. I guess it is a little funny. After all, seagulls are the only scavengers still around.

59. JanetNJ

I just reread your first post... I see you said she's been holding the dose for 17 hours. That's great bit it leaves her high several hours a day.

I would suggest you pick a time 12 hours apart and reduce to 0.5 units each time to get two shot times a day. That may help level her out. I'm not an expert levemir doser, so maybe you could start a new thread in the lantus/levemir forum and see what those folks think.

TempestsMum likes this.
  60. Mom-mom's Mommy

That is so nice of you. I am going to ask Rhianon to do it for me. I don't think, well I don't know, if she is still on since kitty passed a few months ago. Do you know her?

61. JanetNJ

Oh! A fellow nj person! Hi neighbor! I would be upset seeing a bird killed too. I had a bird fly into my windshield once and I lost it. If course of was on my way to a students (2nd grade) funeral so I was already a mess. I wouldn't be able to handle being a vet either.

62. JanetNJ

@Yong

Ya busy, Yong?

63. Mom-mom's Mommy

She just started showing me these great number within the last week. I test ALL THE TIME. She doesn't even mind anymore. As a matter of fact, if I am sleeping and her blood goes either too high or too low, she meow's her head off at the foot of my bed. If I am in the living room, she just jumps in her testing chair. She has never did a false alarm yet (4 years). When she holds a number for 18-21 hours, I test at least once an hour. If it's at night, I set my alarm so I wake up. Her numbers do NOT go high even a little bit. Here is an example of her numbers from Thursday. (I keep a daily log on a chalk board on the refrigerator. So on Wednesday her shot was at 3 pm, she was 276. at 6 pm she was 190, at 9pm - 170, at 3 am 120, 8 am - 114, and then finally at 12:45 pm she went to 226, so I shot. Thats her numbers for the past 2 weeks or so.

TempestsMum likes this.
  64. JanetNJ

It's really supposed to be dosed at even 12 hour intervals. Post on the lantus boards though and they can be more help there. :).

65. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

so pleased to see you back Lucy! And glad everything is ok. :)

66. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I suggest you take down the red 911 from your thread now. Things seem to be under control. I'm glad it all worked out.

67. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I'm glad everything worked out. Amazing group of helpers here on the forum.

Suggestion: Even if you don't do a spreadsheet, record on paper. I do this:
    > test
    > write down the test and dose
    > then I dose
    > go back to the paper and make a check mark.

Done for sure, no doubts. There have been sleepless times here too. That removes all the doubt!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  68. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see things didn't go south on you - good job! I use Lev also - one of the things I've noticed is sometimes the effects of a higher dose isn't seen for a few cycles. I know you test properly but be sure to not miss any of them for a couple of days. If you need to be out to handle all the crappy things that just happened, it's better to skip a shot. Levemir is so much gentler than Lantus.

HUGS and hugs....and more...you've got your hands and head too full right now. Please keep us posted...

69. Kris & Teasel

Please take down the red 911 icon. Go to the top of your thread to the left end of the title bar. Click on the little menu icon, then on the "None" for title prefix. When people see the 911 they think there's an immediate urgent call for help and this isn't the case any longer.

70. JanetNJ

What do you think of her dose timing? Can you give insight as a lantus user?

71. Kris & Teasel

Lantus does best when dosed very close to 12/12. If you have to deviate from that once in a while then you move the dose time back in 15 minute increments twice a day (at each dose time) or once a day by 30 minutes to get back to regular schedule. Changing dose timing affects the depot such that shooting late acts like a dose decrease and shooting early like an increase. There's little flexibility in dosing schedule with Lantus. If a person's schedule is always erratic and/or unpredictable one of the in-and-out insulins like ProZinc or Vetsulin is a better bet.

72. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I think I know Rhiannon but I don't think she's very active. I can set a spreadsheet up for Mom-Mom's Mommy though :). Just let me know @Mom-mom's Mommy

TempestsMum and JanetNJ like this.
  73. Squalliesmom

I know Rhiannon, she's still here! :)

I'm glad your girl is doing well and staying in safe numbers. You did a great job handling her low numbers! :)

Many prayers for you and your family while you are dealing with tragedies. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

74. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

i am....

laura just called me, i told her she needs to take the 911 down.

Yong & Maury GA and Squalliesmom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.