I need some advice (Vetsulin issue)

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Tracy0504 and Zarley, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tracy0504 and Zarley

Tracy0504 and Zarley Member

I was a member of this board previously but (except for using the Amazon link to make purchases), haven't been back for several months. I think I just posted this (previously) on the wrong board. Everything has changed. This site has always been a Godsend. Today is no exception.

My 12-year-old cat, Zarley, was diagnosed with FD in November of 2008. So many people here helped me through everything from testing to monitoring to dosage (my vet, through it all, has been little or no help and even told me at one point I know more about FD than she ever will).

I'm sitting here shaking as I type this.

Ever since his diagnosis, Zarley has been on Vetsulin. It took him awhile to get him regulated, but we finally did it. I get new bottles of insulin every few months. In mid-December, I got a new bottle of Vetsulin from the vet and ordered new syringes online. Ever since then, Zarley's thirst and hunger seemed to slowly return. I started testing him and was shocked to see his numbers in the 400s again. I hadn't seen numbers that high since he was first diagnosed.

I did what most people would do. I monitored more closely. I double-checked all the canned food labels to see if maybe the ingredients had changed. I altered the dosages slightly. He'd be in the mid-400s, I'd give him a shot, the numbers would go down but only for a few hours. By the 6-hour point, he was back to his pre-shot BG. I took more curves, thinking maybe rebound was the culprit. I tested the syringes just using water and shooting it in the air thinking maybe the needles were defective. Two days ago I went back to the vet to get replacement syringes. I figured if that wasn't it, maybe I'd punctured the insulin bottle wrong or ...I don't know. I just knew something was wrong.

I came back to the great resource of this board, seeking information about a cat's numbers suddenly becoming higher after being regulated so long. It was then I found a post by someone who said something like, "You're not giving your cat Vetsulin, right? The company recalled it and is no longer making it."

Many of you here already know this, but the FDA issued a warning about Vetsulin as far back as early November. http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/new ... 188752.htm I read this and my heart dropped. I live in a rural area. I am only one of two people at my vet's office who has a diabetic cat on insulin. My vet not only failed to tell me about the Vetsulin issue in November, but she SOLD me Vetsulin in mid-December and failed to say anything when I was there for syringes two days ago (did I mention I'm sitting here, shaking?).

I know there are a lot of posts on different meds, but my main concern now is that I'm going to call my incompetent vet and she's going to tell me I'm either making a big deal out of nothing or she has to order other meds and to keep him on Vetsulin until then. I'm going to try to get Zarley to a new vet tomorrow but if I have to deal with my previous vet I will. I am so glad I came back here and learned about the recall.

It's after midnight and I'm trying to learn all I can about all these other types of insulin before I need to call the vet at 8am. I don't know Lantus from Levemir or..... I'm just looking for something I can do on a 12 hour cycle as I did with Vetsulin. I just need some direction on what to do next. Anyone? Again, as always, thank you.

2. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Hi tracy.

I remember you guys.

I am sorry you are being left out of the loop with your vet and it is entirely possible that the climb back up to higher numbers is the vetsulin being inconsistent.
    It is also possible that perhaps Zarley has an infection or something brewing that is causing this? Has he been checked out?

Regardless, a change in insulin would certainly be a good plan and they do not have to be scary.

Check out this link on lantus and levemir, it has all the stickies you want to help understand it. Look under " announcements"
    viewforum.php?f=9
    I would even go into that support group and ask questions. They will welcoem you and ehlp steer you to more info, what to take to your vet to help them understand the different insulins etc.

Many have made the switch recently and there are great people on the support groups to help that change.
    In fact you may even find your baby does much better on these longer lasting and gentler insulins.

Hang in there it will not be like starting from scratch because you have learned so much by now.

3. Tracy0504 and Zarley

Tracy0504 and Zarley Member

I've been up almost all night.

His numbers started going crazy after the new bottle of Vetsulin.

He's acting okay other than the high numbers and eating and drinking like crazy.

I'm kicking myself for not knowing about the recall either. I've been giving him this stuff for well over a month.

The vet office opened at 8. I made sure to call at 8:05. I'm so tired. The receptionist was indifferent to what I told her (not even an apology) and merely said, "What pharmacy do you go to?" I said, "Wait --- what is being called in?" She sighed and said, "I don't know. The doctor doesn't come in until 9:30."

:sad:

4. Catherine Sloan

Catherine Sloan New Member

You posted your finding out about Vetsulin in January. Guess what? I've bought two bottles since then and when I went to get another is when I was informed and this is May 23! I am very disappointed in my vet for not telling me.. and also in myself for not keeping up-to-date on these boards. I do so wish he would let me test him, but I guess he just has his limits. Now, I need to educate myself on what insulin to switch to so I can inform the vet! I use the bd 3/10 syringes anyway because they are smaller gauge and were cheaper getting them at Target than at the vet. I'll be watching and trying to learn. Received no response yet on my 911 but posted it in the wrong place just out of being nervous and upset over sick cat. It did not help that my 7 year old chipmunk died tonight.

Cat

5. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

I'm not sure that your vet has to call the insulin in, you just need the script (may be different for Canada?)

Sweetgrass has pretty much covered it.
    To be honest a lot of vets just haven't been informed and for whatever reason haven't kept themselves informed of the FDA warning-your not alone.

Has kitty had a dental? Sometimes teeth issues can raise numbers too-just something to bear in mind.

Good luck :D

ps-Cat if yu see this-Lucky was the most fractitous cat ever.There are all sorts of trickes you an use for help with hometesting.I had to use a small throw doubled up with ucky.She had Talons not claws!!!!

She would not ever let anyone else near her.The vets (had to use them if I had no option but to put her in a cattery) used welding gloves to catch and hold her (just for shots they wouldn't test). Needless to say I only put her in when I really had no choice.

With me, 99.9% of the time she was an angel and loved all the scritches she got during and after.I'm so glad I persevered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.