I need some experienced opinions on this one guys.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RandyChumlee, Dec 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RandyChumlee

RandyChumlee New Member

Cat got diagnosed three weeks ago, he was at 585 and I went out and go him new food, test kit and all the goodies. Well yesterday I gave him his shot at noon, 8pm I tested him and he was at 85, 4 hours later I was going to give him a shot but he was at 118. I didn’t give him a shot. Next morning I tested him and he was at 85 again. Quickly fed him. It’s now 9pm and I just tested him and he’s at 65 and fed him again. What is going on??? Please let me know.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Looks like he's trying to go into remission. ;). If he can go two weeks without needing insulin than its a diet controlled remission. Thank goodness you're testing! If you were shooting blind there could have been big trouble! Did he have an infection at the time he was diagnosed?

3. RandyChumlee

RandyChumlee New Member

No infections, thought he had kidney issues with all the pee. I got lucky and it was diabetic instead.

What does diet remission mean ? Are there other kinds of remission ?

4. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

diet controlled remission just means that his sugars would be normal with just a low carb diet. He will always be diabetic.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

As majandra said, your kitty will always be a diabetic, but will be diet controlled. You must always make sure you only feed low carb wet food, and test every so often to see all is well. Cats can relapse with poor diet and /or sickness or they just do.
    What type of insulin are you giving and what dose and how long has he been on insulin?
    You were right to not give insulin with the blood sugars in the normal range so early in the journey.
    I would keep testing before food and a few hours after food to see what the blood sugars are doing. If the pancreas is working the blood sugar should go down a few hours after food.
    Here is a link to how to do the 14 day of the juice trial..scroll down the page
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ng-reductions-and-starting-otj-trials.150160/
    It would be a good idea to post each day so we can see. You would start off with Day 1 OTJ
    But first you need to make sure that he doesn't need any more insulin so keep testing then ask about starting an OTJ trial.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  6. RandyChumlee

RandyChumlee New Member

Thanks for the response guys. I’ll keep up the testing and if I have any more questions I’ll know where to go. This site has been very help full.

I started Chumlee off with 1.5 vetsulin. Then went to 1.25 after his numbers were going low. Now he’s staying low 100’s and he seems so happy. Hopefully as long as I keep him on his diet and test him. He should live happy life ?

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

It’s important to get a strong remission so you need to do the 14 day trial to ensure he is really ready to go off insulin.
    Yes he should live a normal life. Also cats with diabetes can live a normal life too.

8. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Randy, could you get your signature set up so we can see Chumlee's info when you post? Then members won't have to scroll back through previous posts or ask for the info again. SIGNATURE
    It would also be very helpful to have the insulin dosing you have done, plus the past and current BG data available. We have a spreadsheet that we use to display the data, it's linked to the signature and is invaluable for accurate advice.

SPREADSHEET INSTRUCTIONS

UNDERSTANDING THE SPREADSHEET

Hoping that Chumlee is indeed entering remission, what a great New Year's present that would be!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.