I Need Your Help! Sub Q Fluids ....

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gail & Houdini (GA), Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

I’ve had to do a lot of doctoring, kids, horses, dogs & cats, in my life and some of it was just awful but I did it because I had to …... But there is one thing I can’t bring myself to do and it’s sub q fluids ! I have an aversion to needles, I can’t even watch them get injections and how I give Houdini his insulin twice a day is a mystery.

I tried to do fluids years ago with my poor Charlie (end stage CRF) I was so upset, he picked up on it I poked him he yowled & jumped so did I & the needle broke off under the skin…..the ER Dr had to remove it . Dr wasn’t real gracious about it either….
    Guess I’ve never gotten over how I hurt my sweet little boy…….and how he could have lived longer if I hadn’t been so stupid about the fluids.

Now my oldest kitty, Squeak needs them (IBD & CRD) and I am a wreck! He is very thin and bony so there isn’t much skin to pull up so not a big area to aim at. I had to take him to the vet on Fri for fluids and Dr said to give him more on Sun and every other day after that. He even called Sun night to see if I managed to do it. I had to tell him I just couldn’t. I have the 20 gage 1” Terumo needles and they still look huge! Not a bad as the ones the vet sent me home with ….shudder.

I vowed to do it last night, set up and hung the bag, had a glass of wine, got the cat ready and just started to cry…… I feel like such a loser. So now it’s Tues and he still hasn’t gotten those fluids! He’s not dehydrated yet but it’s just around the corner.

I can take him to the vets every other day or so but it’s 20 miles round trip, he hates the car ride and I have to take time off work….. not to mention the costs adding up. None of the techs live nearby so I can’t get them to come and help. I’ve watched the videos, read the instructions and still can’t bring myself to do it. I HAVE to get over this! There will be other kitties that will need fluids I’m sure, so I have to do something!

HELP!!!! How do I get past this ?????

2. Carol & Yoshi

Carol & Yoshi Well-Known Member

Gail, maybe an FDMBR close by you can lead you through it a few times. I never could have done it either with Munch as she didn't want to be touched ever but an experienced neighbor helped and we managed to get a few doses in before she went into distress and so I let her go. It's really hard when they're skinny and boney.

3. Becky and AJ (GA)

Becky and AJ (GA) Member

Gail,

I live in the Santa Clarita Valley (near Magic Mountain). If you are nearby, I am more than happy to help you. I've been giving Albert fluids for about 2 years now and I think he actually likes it. He gets excited when he sees me setting up the needle and drip line. I was really scared at the start and goofed a few times at Albert's expense. I used to shake while giving fluids, but now it's so easy and fast. PM me if you think I can help.

Becky and AJ

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

My suggestion is to learn at the vets office. That's where I learned and it is very reassuring to have someone knowledgeable guiding me.
    My vet gave me 18's, then 20's and both were horrible. I went back and got 22ga needles and it made a huge difference.

I noticed that Shadoe and Oliver both seemed relieved after getting fluids. I sort of compare it to being super thirsty on a hot day and I get a huge jug of ice cold water to drink.

I think if you are ending up taking the cat to the vet for fluids, you may as well take the opportunity to be shown how to do them yourself and overcome your fear. After the first couple times, you will get ok with it all.

5. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

gail, get on youtube.com and search for giving cats fluids or other terms like that. also check the videos at marvistavet.com. even tho i learned at the vet's office it always helps to get a refresher that way.

you can burrito your cat if you're worried, but normally when they're really feeling bad they know it helps them and they don't mind. trick is to warm the fluid bag first so it's closer to a cat's own temperature. remember, room temp fluids are over 20 degrees colder than the cat so they are really cold going in. i just put them in a giant spaghetti pan full of hard water from the sink. i let it sit for about 10 minutes to warm it up. other trick is to tie the bag up as high as possible so it flows quickly and is finished right away.

i think cats tolerate most things as long as they don't take too long. those 20 gauge terumos go in like butter. you can put them in anywhere along what seems like a saddlebag area from the neck, shoulders, and a bit further down. alternate the site each time so they don't scar up and the skin doesn't get tougher.

just take a deep breath and do it. your cat needs it and you know you can do it.

6. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

You know what may help you both? (well, besides a couple glasses of wine! ;-)) What I would do with Cuddles, is tent where I'm going to inject, blow her fur away (she had long hair) so it parted, and then scratch the skin right there with your fingernail for several seconds before injecting the needle. It desensitizes the skin, so they don't even feel the poke! May help you at least get started so he doesn't jump like your other kitty. :sad: It's all new to them too.. so all you need to do is get in a routine, and it becomes so easy!

My whole household had a routine for Cuddles' fluids! I'd give them to her while she ate her dinner.. but nobody got dinner until after she was done with fluids. So everyone would wait patiently while Cuddles got her fluids (& got her portion of dinner first), and I think made it easier on her too. Her mind was taken off me doing whatever I was doing, since she was eating dinner at the time. I did that every day for nearly 2.5 years. It got to the point where I didn't even have to hold her or the line very securely. I injected it, turned the fluids on, and as long as I had my hand resting over her hips, holding the line over her back, she just stayed there, and either ate, or just laid down. What also made it easier, was to do it slightly to the side each time. Don't do it directly on top, over the spine. Do it to the side, pointing down. Helps the fluids go in, and not come back out.. let gravity do it's job. ;-) The fluids WILL move down toward their legs or chest.. so I just used the other side every night. If you do it right in the middle of the back, you'll be left with a big hump on the back, and have to pinch the hole shut when you're done so it doesn't come back out. (which is a good idea anyway.. but you may have to hold it way longer up on top)

Anyway.. hope this helps.. wish I was closer to help get ya started! Just PM me or ask here if you have any other questions for me.

7. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I empathize how the size of that needle is intimidating. Others have given great advice.

I saw someone else give advice recently about using a butterfly needle (much smaller) and attaching a syringe to it to inject fluids that way. Of course, it would take much longer to do, and require alot of manipulation with removing and refilling and reattaching the syringe. However, it may be something that can help you past your big needle phobia (which I share). You might want to ask your vet about that.

8. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Skin Button

My vet mentioned something called a skin button. I know very little about it, but it sounds interesting. Basically, the vet uses a local anesthesia to insert a "port" into the skin. To give fluids, you just hook the bag to the port. Here's a link: http://www.felinecrf.org/fluid_therapy.htm#giftube

9. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Well, in reading the article, I read that a 'skin button' still required the use of a special needle.

Seems to me you you need to get brave and face your needle phobia.

Start by laying a packaged needle on your kitchen counter and just look at it in the package.

I highly recommend Terumo brand needles, 20 gauge 1" long. They are sharper and more
    comfortable for the cat. They flow almost as fast as an 18 ga Monoject.

I found that the 22ga were quite a bit slower.

You can do this for your kitty.

10. jenny

jenny New Member

I'm afraid that with the large chance of infection that can come with the 'skin button' it would not be a chance I would be willing to take.

I have a crf kitty that requires sub-q's every other day. Once you get over that 'hump' and put your phobia behind you you'll be amazed at how easily it becomes.

It's for your kitty's well being, it's life...just make up your mind that you can and must do it.

11. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Terumo are great needles. 22g is slower, but I squeeze the bag really hard to make it flow faster.

I also warm the bag in a bowl of warm water so it doesn't suprise my kitties who do get subqs. I read that bevel up on the needle makes the process go faster too. Not sure if it's true, but I do that just in case. I put the needle below the scruff, between the shoulder blades. My cats don't seem to notice.

My CRF kitty who passed a few years back didn't care for subqs. It was easier to give them to him while he was on the counter. No soft surfaces for him to grab his claws into and get away. For Tucker and Gett I just put some treats in front of them and they eat while they get thier fluids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.