I present to you, Autumn...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Autumn'sMom, Jan 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Autumn'sMom

Autumn'sMom New Member

My name is Diane, and I am very glad to have found this forum.

It is so strange to have your life be suddenly, incredibly upended, yet still have almost nobody to talk to about it. I have the feeling that this forum will help me keep my sanity, so to speak, as I learn to navigate the road that is feline diabetes. I thank you all in advance :kiss:

My cat, Autumn, had been drinking progressively more water and producing bigger and bigger urine clumps since this past summer. But, being firmly entrenched in the land of denial, I made excuses to myself and willfully ignored it. It was only when she started to develop rear leg weakness, that I snapped out of it and took her to the vet. To be honest, I was actually relieved at the diagnosis of diabetes. At least it was something treatable. I was so afraid (and convinced) that it was something terminal or untreatable.

Needless to say, the last week or so has been a blur of diabetes education. Luckily, my vet seems to be well versed about feline diabetes, and is very receptive to owners being proactive and "hands on" with their cats. However, having a community of helpful, caring people, who all "get it" available practically 24/7 is absolutely invaluable. I look forward to gleaning all of the wisdom this community has to offer (and maybe, someday, being able to do the same for others).

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to you Diane and Autumn! You are right, this forum is invaluable, or at least I can say it has been for me. Uncle was diagnosed in October and I really can't imagine navigating this by myself and/or with what little info I have been given by my vet.
    It looks like you got things up and running really fast as far as your signature, Autumn's spreadsheet etc.
    Have you checked out the Lantus/Levemir Forum yet? When I first introduced myself, someone recommend I basically cut and paste my intro and start a thread over there with it because they saw that Uncle is on Lantus. That's where all the incredible support and insight really happens for me because of the specific nature of that (and Levemer) insulin. I check in here to try to give back in any way I can (much like what you mentioned at the end of your post) because I am so new to feline diabetes myself. Again, welcome!

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome Diane and Autumn! You're among friends here who "get it". We've all been where you are. You've gotten organized very quickly - very impressive! I'm SO glad you have a vet who is collaborative and has started your lovely little girl on a low dose. Looks like you'll have good vet support going forward.

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Welcome Diane and Gorgeous Autumn. Sounds like your vet is very supportive. Looking forward to following your journey.

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.