I ran out of insulin. And it's a holiday weekend.

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by acsmith1972, Sep 1, 2018.

1. acsmith1972

acsmith1972 Member

It didn't occur to me a vet would close over the weekend, but, apparently the local vet has been closed since yesterday through Monday. So Tuesday is the earliest I can get more. They left the number for the VCA, bu they said they wouldn't prescribe insulin without getting Fluffer an exam and running all the tests including a curve. They don't have access to his records so for liability they won't do it without that stuff. VCA charges several thousand for that stuff. I don't have that kind of cash. Fluffer gets 2.5 units twice a day. Should i hide his crunchies and just put lots of water out? We've tried the whole not free feeding him and tried just wet food, and even high protein food. It never worked. He stopped eating. Everyone said that eventually they'll eat it, but the Diabetes took him from 24 pounds down to 13 pounds, the changing his diet took him from 13 down to 8 pounds and he was losing weight every day. We weren't going to let him die to try to prove he could switch foods. As soon as we put his regular food back he started eating again and gained 4 pounds back. Now his tail is really bushy again, he's definitely slower, but he still jumps up onto and off of the bed and window perch, and he's almost 15 years old. He's definitely smiling again, too. I know people say pets can't smile, but I don't care, they do.

I just need to know which is better for him till I can get more insulin: keeping crunchies out, more wet food, or hiding that stuff and keeping lots of water out.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

You might also try posting this issue in the Main Forum, the Prozinc forum is smaller and since it's a holiday weekend, it might be sparsely checked. I wish you luck in finding some Prozinc for Fluffer.

3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Ohhh....I don't have good advice on that one. Does your vet have an emergency number you could call? Mine has one where during closed hours, you can call the on call vet and they can either come in or recommend you go to the ER vet. If they could even get the prescription, you could try to order through Chewy and get it just shipped fast...still would go without it for a day or so but that might be something.

I would leave lots of extra water out while you wait and he might be hungrier than normal...but you want to stick to wet food to keep the BG lower. I wish I had some insulin I could send you! Where are you located? Maybe someone nearby has an extra vial they could give you until you could get some of your own?

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member