I think I hit a nerve while giving frisky her shot!(UPDATE)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Robert and Frisky, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert and Frisky

Robert and Frisky Member

The other morning I went to give Frisky her shot and she hissed at me(never done that before). Ever since then she has been walking slower and takes more time to jump down off her chair. She does not seem to have a problem jumping up just coming back down. She is fine other than that. She will even chase the string when I pull it around the floor. She just wont let me rub back and when I touch her anywhere near he back legs she hisses. Could I have hit a nerve and it is just going to take a few days to heel? I don't have the money this week to get here to the vet, but as I said she seem fine other than that. She is on Prozinc, 2.5 units per dose. It was just upped on Tuesday from 2 to 2.5 so I have not done a curve yet but her numbers twice a day have been better.

PS where can I found out how to set up a spreed sheet and learn what every thing means. I have looked at a few of them but I don't understand what I am looking at. I have my own set up in Excel but it is nothing like the ones you guys are using.

Thanks in advance.

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: I think I hit a nerve while giving frisky her shot!

If you go to the tech forum the instructions are there to set up the spreadsheet.

The spreadsheet is set up in hours, after giving the shot to the next shot. We don't use time, such as 5 oclock or 6 oclock - since everyone is in different time zones, rather we start the clock with the Pre- shot test - that's the amps or pmps - morning or evening pre shot, then U is the number of units given in the shot and then +1, +2, etc - are the number of hours after the shot is given.

So in other words - let's say you give your shots at 6 am and 6 pm - your ss will look like this:

amps = 300 (bg level)
    U = 1 (shot 1 unit)
    +2 = 250 (tested 2 hours after the shot and this is the bg level)
    +6 = 150 (tested 6 hours after the shot and this is the bg level)
    pmps = 250
    U = 1

Does that make sense now?

Additionally, the spreadsheet is automatically set up to color code the bg level - hence when you see someone say my cat is in the yellow or red or blue or green - it's another simple way of easily knowing the BG range the cat is in, without having to say my cat is 100-200 bgs.

The code is on the ss so you understand the colors.

on some SS (like mine) - you will see a couple tests done within a certain hour or done on the 1/2 hour and when that happens, I input in the hour that makes the most sense and color it manually.

So, let's say I shot @ 6 and then tested at 7:30 -

amps = 200
    +1.5 = 150

Does that seem to make sense?

Regarding how she is acting, where did you shoot her? Did you tent her skin and shoot in the "space" between? How deep did you shoot? Do you have long or short needles?

Personally, I found using short needles was easier and helped me to make sure that I didn't go too deep and possible hit something. I also tented the skin, put my thumb in there and created "space" then shot in there.

3. Robert and Frisky

Robert and Frisky Member

Yes it does now. and thanks for in info on the ss I will work on getting one together.

I am using the u-40 syringe, 29 gauge, 1/2in needle. I did tent the skin and hit the space in between. The only other thing is I just put in new floors in and she may have tried to jump on to my new computer desk and slipped and fell when I was not home. Could be she is sore from falling(Just a guess). Ever sense I got her BG down she has been more active and trying to jump up on thing that she has never tried before. This morning she hissed at me as soon as I pinched the skin up before I even got to the shot. I am going to give her a few days.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

It could be anything. If you don't notice improvement in the next day or so, you may want to call the vet, just to be sure there is nothing broken, sprained, etc.

I somehow doubt it was due to the needle. But that's just me guessing and speculating.

5. Robert and Frisky

Robert and Frisky Member

It was an infection.

Just thought I would give an update. It turns out that Frisky had an infection, The vet treated her and she is back to normal. :D Aslo as of this morning she is regulated with 3u twice a day. The vet told me that I did not need to do another curve for 3 or 4 weeks. Her curve Sunday was 249 for the high and 99 for the low. I will continue to check her before each dose, But things are looking good. Now I am going to try an set up a spread sheet like the ones I see here. I have my own on my computer but want to do one like I see here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.