I think I missed George's insulin shot

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by NancyF, May 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NancyF

NancyF Member

I'm really worried. I think I messed up royally and I'm not sure what to do.

I came home this morning exhausted. Exhausted to the point that I fell asleep sitting on my couch. I know I took George's bg test, I wrote it down. I know I took my garbage out, the bags are gone. But I literally have no memory of doing any of it. And I don't remember if I gave Georgie his insulin shot this morning!

I just took another bg test and it's a little higher than this morning, but it didn't zoom up. It's 5 hours before his evening shot. What do I do?

2. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

I am a new member. So hopefully some more experienced people will come and answer your question.

jt and trouble (GA) and NancyF like this.
  3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

nothing you can do now but wait to give him his regular dose at the pm shot time. Life happens, hey there’s are days I don’t remember brushing my teeth. All you can do now is move on. Next time maybe write ‘shot done’ next to the bg level as a reminder?

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  4. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Especially since you may have given the shot since numbers didn’t skyrocket and doubling up on insulin is way worse than skipping a dose

5. NancyF

NancyF Member

OMG great idea! That way I'll know for sure if this ever happens again. I feel terrible. My poor Georgie.

6. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

One time I got the times mixed up. Looked at my cell and was like it’s time for her shot. Tested, fed her gave shot then about an hour afterwards realized I gave her shot an hour earlier. I have no idea why my brain got it all mixed up. Since then I set the timer on my phone so I don’t have to double guess myself. I know the feeling. I felt horrible too but I want to tattoo on my forehead “I’m doing the best I can” because seriously sometimes it feels like a miracle that I can even remember my name lol. I don’t have children and I can only imagine that parents make those mistakes too we just never hear about them ;)

7. NancyF

NancyF Member

I will not divulge the parenting errors I made. Those are trade secrets. But... My son just texted me saying he wouldn't be surprised if I had given Georgie his shot in my sleep since he remembers my parenting "skills" as a child. In other words, I gave his brother a bucket of trouble for staying out all night, even grounded him, all while asleep lol

I do have alarms set on my phone though. One to pull the insulin and let it warm up and the second to give him his shot.

8. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

LOL! See I knew it haha! :D:D:D

NancyF likes this.
  9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Never give another shot if you think you may have given it but are not sure. We all go onto automatic pilot at times.
    It is better to be high for a day than low for a minute.

10. NancyF

NancyF Member

Thank you. It's scary that I don't remember. Thankfully he had a serious case of the zoomies this evening (something he rarely had anymore prior to being diagnosed) so he seems to be feeling ok.

11. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

12. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Eh it happens. We've all done it. At least I have. Actually I'm pretty good about remembering her shot. Terrible at remembering her hyperthyroid meds. Not the end of the world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.