I think my cat’s insulin dose is too high with the new food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Max99, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max99

Max99 Member

Hi everyone,

My cat’s dose is 1.5 units and I’ve recently changed my cat’s food from a carbohydrate-based one to a protein-based one as she stopped eating the former. I tried to mix both dried foods together but she much prefers the latter one, I think due to them being smaller crunchy bits. It’s more geared for senior cats (she’s almost 19 so definitely qualifies!). When I used to test her, her BS level was in the 20s, now it’s high teens. The last few times I’ve given her her usual dose in the mornings, she’s had low BS of 3s about 3hrs - 3 1/2 hrs after her morning dose, which is quite low so I have given her some glucogel. She eats ravenously, that’s the only reason I thought about testing her.

I’m going to do another glucose curve tomorrow/later on today (00:30 here in the UK) on her usual insulin dose and take it to the vets. She’ll be one unhappy cat for the day . I’ve given her 1 unit this evening as I don’t want her BS to drop below 5.0 mmol/L especially in the night. My gut instinct was telling me this was the right thing to do...

Also, on the subject of glucogel, does anyone know whether I can keep the tube once I’ve opened it? She only has about half the amount. I just think it’s a waste having to throw the other half out.

Thanks all.

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I would definitely reduce her dose, and maybe start testing a bit more frequently. You were very wise to realize she needed to be tested when she developed the ravenous appetite!

I don't know about the glucogel. It doesn't say somewhere on it if it can be kept and used again? I think I would maybe refrigerate it, and check with the manufacturer. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.