I think we know what is causing Yoda's anemia

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kelly & Oscar, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

So our vet strongly urged us to get a hemoplasma mini panel PCR (formerly called hemobartonella) and I wanted to add on a reticulocyte count since we were going to be sending in blood. Yoda came back positive for mycoplasma haemominutum (one of the 3 types of this mycoplasma organism). This kind is the least pathogenic, but can cause subclinical anemia and inflammation in other areas of the body. Seems to fit the bill here. Treatment protocol right now is 1 month of tetracycline TID. We have a quick check next friday to see if he is responding to the antibiotic (check the inflammation of his gums). We can also try doxycycline, but that is only in pill form, so I opted for the liquid first. Most cats that carry this organism do not show signs, but it can cause problems in cats that are stressed or with immune issues. It is mostly transmitted through flea and tick bites. From what I read, 25% of outdoor kitties are infected with this microorganism.

His reticulocyte test came back showing results for a normal healthy cat. I read that some cats respond to very mild anemia with a larger type of reticulocyte that isn't stained in this test, so it is possible that his body is recognizing the anemia and we can't pick it up. Good thing is that is shows a normal level of red blood cell production. Reticulocyte total is 0.2% (normal 0-1%) and Absolute Reticulocytes are 10,900 uL (normal is less than 45,000 uL).

Lynne is thinking that the haemominutm could be causing the inflammation of his gums. So we are giving the tetracycline a chance to do its work before we schedule a dental. He might not have stomatitis after all.

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

So he's positive for Bartonella? So is Mr. Darcy. My vet thinks Mr.'s enlarged lymph node is a symptom of the bart. There are lots of things that vets have linked to bart, but I don't believe any conclusive studies have been conducted where we can positively say that yes Bart does cause X, Y, and Z.

Mr. had started some ABs back in December but got sick from them so I do need to start his treatment again.

You have me wondering now if this is the cause of Mr.'s occasional habit of eating clay litter. He's doing it about once per week.

I'm looking forward to hearing how Yoda does on the tetracycline, I may go that route if you think it worked well for Yoda.

3. Kelly & Oscar

Which antibiotics has Tucker been on so far? I haven't read anything out there that says mycoplasma haemominutum is in the same family as Bartonella henselae, but one of the tests seems to be the same (PCR) and the symptoms are the same (anemia, inflammation, etc), so it very well could be the same thing. If you look up haemominutum they say to use tetracycline or doxycycline, but looking up bartonella henselae they say azithromyacin first (best success rate), followed by Doxycycline, erythromycin,ciprofloxacin, trimethoprim/sulfa, clarithromycin and rifampin. Interesting ........

4. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Jennifer

When Karen's Astrophe started eating litter again, it was a sign that her numbers were crashing (anemia)....

Jen

5. Kelly & Oscar

OK, so Yoda is not tolerating the tetracycline well at all. Scratch that one. He's thrown up 4 times since last night, lost his appetite, and seems depressed. Usually I have a kitty figure 8-ing my legs and talking my ear off in the morning, but no such thing today :sad: Called the vet and they said to hold all antibiotics until he starts acting normal again and then we will try something else. nailbite_smile

6. tuckers mom

Mr. started on Doxy but it was when he first arrived at my home and he didn't tolerate it well, belly aches coupled with stress from Angel bothering him.

My vet had just gotten back from a San Fran vet conference and said that Zythro was no longer the AB of choice for Bart.

I've checked Mr.'s gums and don't see any signs of anemia, but he is due back to the vet to remove fluid from his lymph node, I'll call today and schedule that along with bloodwork to check for anemia.

7. Kelly & Oscar

What is the new antibiotic of choice now? Yoda had such an immediate reaction to the tetracycline that we are holding off the AB's for the weekend and will go with something different on Monday. We don't want to have an emergency situation when my regular vet is closed and the closest ER vet is an hour and a half away. My vet said she would muse over the options for us this weekend and we would talk on Monday.

Problem is that I don't think pilling Yoda will be that easy. Since his gums/teeth used to hurt so much, he really doesn't like anyone messing with his mouth too much and flails a lot. Liquid works well because I can stick the dropper in the corner of his mouth and slowly squeeze the meds in.

As far as checking for signs of anemia - Yoda has no visible ones either. He is a white skinned cat anyway - I don't really know how his skin could get paler. He is very active, is gaining weight, and eats like a horse still, but yet he is mildly anemic. Just food for thought.

8. tuckers mom

"As far as checking for signs of anemia - Yoda has no visible ones either. He is a white skinned cat anyway - I don't really know how his skin could get paler. He is very active, is gaining weight, and eats like a horse still."

Ditto all that for Mr. Darcy.

Mr. was put on the Doxy, but I'm going to see the vet on Tuesday and see if there is something else he can take.

9. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

My indoor-outdoor Plaguey also turned out to have mycoplasma haemominutum. The doxycycline eventually cleared it up. You can see some history and comments on the mycoplasma and people's experience with anemia (IMHA, etc.) at http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... ?8,1905689 .

laur

10. Kelly & Oscar

Wow, same strain as Yoda and everything. Plaguey's reticulocyte counts mirror Yoda's as well. How long were you guys on doxy? We have a compounding pharmacy here in town that can make the doxy into a liquid suspension since he is so hard to pill.

11. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

I'd have to check his records to be sure, but I think the Plague was on doxy for a total of three weeks. Unfortunately the first week he was on something like a 1/3 dose because the medication was compounded improperly, which I only discovered by chance while talking with the vet about checking his PCV. His meds were then re-made and I think he was on the doxycycline for another two weeks. Luckily Plague didn't seem to suffer from the error.

I need to get him into the vet this week for some follow up bloodwork, and assuming all is well, he'll get that long delayed dental. :)

laur

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.