I was recommend PC Extra Meaty Chicken Dinner Pâté for my diabetic cat. Anyone know if this is okay?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by dnn, Nov 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dnn

dnn New Member

So, I was at the vet today, long story. And while I was waiting to leave a person who has experience with diabetic cats over heard my cat was diabetic and was having issues (I can't put him on insulin right now due to a UTI). They recommended this as an alternative to the Fancy Feast, since my cat won't eat enough of that to get his daily calorie content and is lethargic all the time, while still excessively urinating.

I called up PC support and they gave me the following data:

205 cal/can
    0.51% carb per cal

The carb per cal doesn't seem right to me? Anyone have any experience with this food?

PC = President's Choice.

I couldn't fit it all in due to the character limit.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with that food, but I was curious why you cannot start insulin due to a UTI? Mia had a UTI at diagnosis. They are pretty common for diabetics since there is glucose in their urine and bacteria likes that. We started insulin right away. And, of course an antibiotic was given for the UTI.

Adam Flowers and Sharon14 like this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I was wondering about not starting insulin too. If your cat is diabetic and has an infection and you’re not giving insulin, please be sure to check for ketones. As for the food, if it’s free from high carb ingredients such as peas, potatoes, tapioca and grains, it should be fine.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Sharon14 likes this.
  5. dnn

dnn New Member

He can't be on insulin due to his UTI because the infection plays around with the blood sugar levels. He can be at 19.9 in the morning and if I give him even 1/2 of a unit of Lantus, five hours later he will be at 1.5 and in hypoglycemic shock. I've talked to numerous vets and they say UTI's complicate diabetes. It can make a cat go hyper or hypo while on insulin.

>In addition, a UTI can be a complication to diabetes since infections tend to cause hyperglycemia; hypoglycemia is also possible when dealing with infections

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Urinary_tract_infection

He just went through 10 days of antibiotics, but the vet wanted to wait 10 days till another urine test, and didn't want him on insulin. I communicated with the vet that due to his excessive urination that it will probably lead to another UTI? and just as I suspected I got the urine results done today and he still has a UTI.

6. dnn

dnn New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.