? IBD questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mary hornbeck, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

can anyone share their experience with irritable Bowel syndrome, I think my cat is experiencing it. If he is diagnosed with it can anyone provide me with a list of appropriate foods, something that I can buy at local pet food store

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  2. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

My cat has has intermittent vomiting, diahrea, and loss of appetite for 2-3 weeks but his BG levels have remained consistent and is alert

3. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

There are also other possible causes. For example, Leo had the same symptoms and he has small cell lymphoma. One of the treatments for SCL and IBD is prednisolone. It is helping Leo with his symptoms. And he is getting chemo for the SCL.

For foods, we have all 3 cats on Fancy Feast Classic. It is inexpensive. There are 8-10 types. And it is low carb with good protein.

4. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

I also found that he has a melanoma on his eye so they will watch that.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I would go to the vet for a diagnosis. They can run a GI panel (blood). Texas A&M U is the common panel. An ultrasound is also a good idea, to see if the bowels are inflamed. From there, and with the GI panel, a biopsy or endoscopy would be the definitive diagnosis. IBD is usually inflammatory bowel, not irritable bowel syndrome in cats.

In the mean time, it's ECID (each cat is different) as to what food works for them. Since Jeff's Leo has SCL, he doesn't have food sensitivies. IBD kitties on the other hand, do react to certain proteins, but you have to find out which ones they are. My civie Theo couldn't eat kangaroo or lamb. Novel proteins (different than they are eating now) and probiotics are usually a start of treatment for IBD. Depending on how severe it is, steroids may be needed. The website http://www.ibdkitties.net/is a good place to start.

Critter Mom and JeffJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.