Ideal blood glucose curve?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Pjmuellner, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Pjmuellner

Pjmuellner New Member

Hello, Penny eats low carb food and Zobaline seems to be helping with her neurapothy. The Vetsulin website shows an "Ideal Blood Glucose Curve" and Penny's numbers look similar. Her pre-shot numbers are still high. Is there something else I can do for her to get those numbers lower?

She's only been on Vetsulin a few weeks. I've learned so much from this forum and I want to do everything I can. Thank you.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, her curves are typical Vetsulin curves. It's the in the nature of the insulin to give steep drops from highs at the PS tests. Some cats will have a flatter curve but they aren't typical. It's always wise to dose Vetsulin to have a little wiggle room at nadir - ie., no lower a nadir than 90 - 100. I see that you gave 2.5 u last night. That might get her down a bit at nadir.

Some cats have a flatter curve on ProZinc which is an in and out insulin like Vetsulin but gentler in its action. The depot insulins like Lantus and Levemir are usually the best for flattening curves although as we always say here - ECID (Every Cat Is Different). :)

ETA: Penny is lucky to have you!

Pjmuellner likes this.
  3. Pjmuellner

Pjmuellner New Member

And Teasel is lucky to have YOU. Thanks for responding. We're so lucky to have found this forum. Only 3 weeks in and Penny is so much more active and interested. She hopped over me in bed the other day! We wouldn't be in such good shape without all the help. Thank God for you.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Yong

Yong Well-Known Member

Also, as she spends more time in normal numbers around nadir times the PS numbers should gradually start coming down on their own too :). Patience in the sugar marathon dance :bighug:

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Hi there... can you add to your signature some info such as date diagnosed, insulin she's on (I know it's vetsulin, but this way it's written there in case you are on the main health forum), what kind of meter you are using, and what the food is that you are feeding.