? Ideal time for vet visit blood testing?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lovemycat444, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovemycat444

lovemycat444 Member

Hi, Taco my cat has an appt w/ the vet tomorrow. The vet said he should have Fructosamine testing ASAP bc he's had very high blood glucose levels.

His morning Lantus shot is 10:00 am
    With that said is there an ideal time for his blood to be tested at the vet visit? (For ex: when the long acting Lantus hits its efficacy? Or right after his morning shot?)

Thank you so much. I'm worried sick about him, I'm so scared praying he doesn't have another diagnosis that I'm afraid of the costs, I can barely cover his Diabetes medical care. I'm worried bc he's been drinking so much water, he's been hiding under my bed, and I'm overwhelmed bc the tests tomorrow are wiping me out financially.

2. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

My vet likes to test close to nadir. Are you home testing? If yes, do you maintain a spreadsheet?

3. lovemycat444

lovemycat444 Member

thank you so much. I do home testing. My cat absolutely hates it and I haven't been able to give him treats to soften the trauma of the ear prick bc he was on a strict selected protein diet only, ,bc of a very bad potential food allergy. I looked up nadir, this is the peak of the insulin, when it's working right? He's on Lantus , do you pls know if Lantus peaks at 6 hour mark? thank you!

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

It does not matter what time they do a fructosamine test. It gives the average over a 2 to 3 week period, so it is not impacted by what the cat's levels are at the moment of the test.

Jeff D / Sketch likes this.
  5. lovemycat444

lovemycat444 Member

oh, thank you I so appreciate that! I didn't know that about Fructosamine testing. Do you use Lantus and do you have vet office blood testing at the peak of the Lantus, if u use that.

6. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

I don’t use Lantus. Every cat is affected differently and their nadirs can change depending on a variety of reasons including diet and other health issues.

7. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Mia is on Levemir. I do not take her to the vet for glucose testing. There is no need since I do it at home. One point-in-time glucose spot check at the vet really has zero value. You would need a curve done (tests every two hours from shot time to shot time), but staying at the vet all day is so stressful for a cat and can mess up the test results.

If you cannot monitor glucose at home, then it makes sense that your vet would want to do a fructosamine (this is not the same as a glucose test) since that will give you an idea of how he has been doing over the last couple of weeks. It's not as good as having blood glucose test data, but it is the next best thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.