If a cat wasn't diabetic, what would BG be?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PiePie, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PiePie

PiePie Member

After a meal? I can try testing my civie cat, but currently at work and wondering....

Just generally, given ECID.

2. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if there is a set amount that a cat would/could increase after eating. I know the normal range for a cat's blood glucose (on a human meter) is 50-120 (I can never seem to remember the range on a pet meter). For what it's worth, I tested my civvie once within an hour or so after eating and she was at 77, so I suppose it depends on the cat. Sorry, I know that probably wasn't much help, haha. :facepalm:

3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

The blood level will go up after eating how much will depend on a lot of things, what he ate, stress, the cat, etc. but thing is it should go down on his own to normal values after a few hours, usually around 2 -3 hours

4. PiePie

PiePie Member

I'll just test my other cat next time. I tested him once and it was like 60 something. He's always hovering when his brother gets poked (wrong cat has learned that poke=treats). I was mostly just wondering how recently Keaton had eaten this morning when I tested his blood. Their bowl had some wet food when I went to bed, but was empty when I woke up. Back to work for me!

5. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Typical cat behavior;) It won't hurt to monitor his BG from time to time, and you could see that maybe it doesn't really move much even after eating ECID

6. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

my orange cat who i keep an eye on due to him still being on over weight side can go up to 149 within hour of eating low carb 'dry' food, often he is more in the 120 range within 1-2hrs after eating though (using pet meter). his non-food BG's are always in 70's like rest of my non-diabetic cats. the one time i tested others not too long after eating low carb dry food in the past, they were all around 90-100 if i recall right.

not every cat is the same but, from what i observed with my diabetic tux, 25 points seems to be the average low carb dry food will make his BG rise by. with wet food, even though all low carbs, some do nothing and some raise it just a tad bit.

7. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Human meter - Snow runs around 50 +/- a few points most of the time. He doesn't really have food spikes - maybe 15-20 points. Bebo runs 60-ish but when his allergies or asthma are flaring, he will be above 200 for 2-3 days. Most of the others that I do test every once in a while run anywhere from 45 to 70.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.