If you can only test once a day

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RuthV, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RuthV

RuthV Member

What would be the best time to test if you can manage only once a day? Before the first food of the morning?
    Mid meal, mid day? Thanks.

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Are you shooting twice a day? What is the limitation on testing just once a day?

3. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

I hope you can provide us w/ the answers to the questions venita asked -- that way we can help you better.
    your kitty is on lantus right?
    i went and looked back at some of your old posts.

have you started testing yet? are you having problems testing?

testing before each shot *should* be the minimum. as dr. lisa says : shooting w/o testing is like driving a car with a paper bag over your head.
    since your kitty is on lantus. initially you may be doing more frequent checks to get your kitty regulated.
    strips can be pricey -- but there are meters that take less expensive strips. I used a OTU and bought strips on ebay.
    in the long run hometesting is cheaper -- keeps you from expensive vet bills and most importantly can save your cat's life.
    there are some cats who are feral or have other issues where alternative modes of testing can be used. they are not optimal, but I just wanted to let you know that if that is a problem we can help you find a way.

please post back ruth and let us know how we can help !

PS it would also be very helpful if you could fill out a profile and add it to your signature line. click this link for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207

4. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

Being liberal with healthy goodies is a great way to get your cat to accept testing better, if that's the problem. A routine seems to help too, because they know what to expect (rewards).

Petsmart has lovely freeze-dried crushable chicken breast in the dog treat section. (Avoid the jerky-style chicken, none of my cats ever like that -- it's too tough). They also have freeze dried salmon chunks in the cat treat section. I don't buy the shrimp because that comes from China and who knows if it's safe.

laur

5. RuthV

RuthV Member

Yes he's on Lantus. I am working up courage for his first test - I still need a lancet firing device. So far, tho, the insulin he's tolerating ok, as far as I can see. He has never flinched once on a shot, the urination has tapered way off too.

I clicked and all it says it something like no 'info during time frame' of something.

6. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

If you can only test once, I would vary when you test. Testing at the same time each day will give you some info, but not a very clear picture. I would try testing before the morning shot one day, testing for a mid-cycle # another day, testing before the evening shot a different day, etc. A key point would also be the nadir time, when you expect the BG to be at its lowest. I don't know how predictable that is with Lantus though.

I think you will find testing a lot easier than you expect though, once you get the hang of it. I was really scared of it at first, and it took about a month before I got a routine that worked for us. I wasn't on the board yet though, so didn't have the benefit of all the great tips & benefit of experience you can get here.

My best recommendation for learning to test is to run through the procedure without actually testing, so you and your cat get comfortable with the rhythm of it, and with the testing supplies, etc. Hold the lancet device to his ear and click it so he gets used to the noise, hold the meter up there and pretend you are actually testing, etc. I found doing that a few times really helped me get to the point where my hands weren't shaking so much, and I realized he didn't really care that much about having me hold the meter up to his ear, etc. So then when I did actually poke his ear, it wasn't really that big a deal, I don't think he even noticed. Now the whole thing is a piece of cake!

Just post whatever questions you have & there are lots of people here who can guide you through any problem you might be having with testing. It was scary for everyone at first, but heck if I can do it, so can you!!!

7. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

oops I gave you the link for a spreadsheet set up. --- you'll want to do that when you get testing to record your numbers.
    the link for profile set up is : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17766

Where do you live? there might be someone on the board near you that can help you hands on w/ testing.
    Please post your city/state ( no specific address) and we'll see if someone is nearby to help .
    I'll look and see if I have an extra lancet thingy and if so will send it out to you. many folks prefer to just poke w/o the thingy. ( i'm being very technical today :D )

It does seem very scary at first ( we've all been there) but you will get the hang of it and be a pro in in time.
    have you seen these helpful testing links? -- videos and all sorts of good tips.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... sg-1817358

you can do it !! If you have specific questions on testing please ask. that's what we are here for.
    watch some of the demonstration videos.
    take a deep breathe. eat some chocolate (or have a glass of wine ;-) )
    have lots of kitty treats ready and GFI !!

will look for your post back. We very often find folks near newbies to help.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ruth you can do this. it is not as scary as it seems. the kitties grow to LIKE it.
    it is of uber duber importance...it is not optional. can i help. would you like a telephone walk thru? did you see 'buddy's testing' link. i can send that to you?
    here' the truth with my baby. within 2-3 weeks i could test, talk on the phone at the same time and be over and done with it in 30 seconds, maybe 1 minute tops.
    please let us help you with this.
    Lori

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

10. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I am not sure what you meant by the following:
    I clicked and all it says it something like no 'info during time frame' of something.

My two cats sleep through pokes on the ears; I think if it were a big issues, they would at least wake up! You need to put aside your fears because it's important to know how the insulin is working. Many cats do not show any outward signs if their numbers are too low, so judging by how kitty 'seems to be' is not the best of methods.

I know many poke free hand, but I prefer the lancet device as it's super quick. Try it on yourself so you know how it feels. It's really not bad and it's important.

If you test and find that numbers are staying high, then you would want to increase the dose. Sure your kitty may be acting better but we want awesome for our kitties, right?

It's tough in the beginning, but before you know it, you will have kitty coming to you when it's time to test and shoot.... mine do that quite often!

Testing should be done at least once before EACH insulin shot.

11. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Ruth,

I think we need to know whether you are struggling with testing, or with having the time to test. If it is the time to test, this is a much more difficult question. There really isn't a way to safely give insulin without testing before every shot and then at the nadir, to see if you need to reduce or increase the dose. That's the minimum, with some time set aside for curves. Many people here work long hours and have found innovative ways to find the time needed to test. They will be glad to give you possibilities, if that is the issue.

Let us know. If it is just that testing has been difficult to master, there are lots of ways to help you there, including maybe having someone come by to help you in person.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Sue, she said she was working up the courage for her first test so I think she has'nt actually tried yet. Must look daunting if you have never tried or seen it. Hopefully that mark and buddy utube will help...I love looking at that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.