If your Cat is peeing on floor while in box- Here is fix

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Darwin H., Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

2018-12-09 07.46.00.jpg Many of you may be suffering what I have been going through with the cat urinating on the floor while in a normal cat box. Struggled with this for months until I came up with an inexpensive fix. A storage container taller than the usual cat box and cheap to buy and easy to make.

I have been experimenting with higher and higher entry points and finally 7 inches high off the ground is the winning number and wide enough for them to enter. I keep it covered to keep sand inside. Purchased at Walmart. Cut opening with an electric hand held dremel.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  2. Gracie85

Gracie85 Member

We got storage tubs, about 12-13 inches tall, and just leave the tops off, the cats jump in and out. We have one big guy who would go in boxes with front holes, dig and dig and turn and turn, and then hang his butt out the hole and poop down the front onto the floor. In the full-size storage tub, he often poops down the inside wall, but at least it stays inside. And even the smaller cat is fine with jumping in and out of these tubs.

And the cheaper the tub, the better. Cheap tubs have less contouring, all those ridges and trenches that are shaped into expensive tubs to increase their strength just give more places for the clumps to adhere. You want the plainest, smoothest, simplest cheap tubs you can find.

Darwin H. and Sharon14 like this.
  3. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  4. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

I need to look into all this, so far been just cleaning it up as it happens or using puppy pads.

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  5. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

The big flat bottomed WM plastic box is easier to keep clean and less sand it kicked out. It has been an absolute treat using it compared to a normal cat box.

JanetNJ likes this.
  6. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

What is WM.., can I ask..?

7. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

Walmart

8. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Ooh okay you mean those shallower ones that're long, like you can slip under a bed, etc? I'm sorry there's so many styles and sizes - do you have a link or two, so I have an idea? Fena always "goes over" the side, for her accidents but Mao sprays litter like a madman so it's kinda hard for me to find litter boxes. Fena loves the biiiig shallow ones to stop the accidents (which is my problem at the moment to be honest) but Mao likes ones with deep sides (my lesser problem since it's so easy to just sweep it up and put it back).

I'd looked at tall sided boxes before but Fena hates them (too small for her highness) and some the front opening is too high and she doesn't always like to jump, though she can.

Just curious on my options with storage tubs/boxes - will scour Walmart. :)

9. Coco’s Momma

Coco’s Momma Member

10. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Awesome, thank you! Fena's only a little over 11 pounds but she's BIG so the bigger the box for her the better she feels.

Being 6" high, if I would ever need do, is it hard to cut a little "door"...?

11. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

Did you see the picture in the beginning of the thread?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.