If You're Struggling...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dani & Wily (GA), Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dani & Wily (GA)

Dani & Wily (GA) New Member

This week I laid my beloved Wily to rest in his 18th year.

A couple of years ago, he got the diabetes diagnosis. I was beset with anxiety.. didn't know if I could do it. First couple weeks were BAD! He was grabbing me when I tried to give him the needle, my shot technique was clumsy, he was tired of me and I was tired of him.. LOL.

I perservered and after a year he went into remission, which lasted until the end. His last two years he enjoyed a new lease on life.

In honour of my Boy, I wanted not only to thank everyone here who was so helpful at the time, but at the same time give a shout of encouragment to all those new to it who are struggling or debating whether it's worth it. I am so very grateful today that I did it, even though those early days were pretty harrowing for both of us. It's a comfort to me now.

Struggling myself this week with losing my baby, even thought he lived a pampered, pampered life... but he made it to his ripe old age thanks in part to y'all.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Dani,

my condolences for your loss of Wily, he sounds very special.
    a very touching post, thank you for sharing this.

3. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi Dani-

Thanks for posting - that's a great story. It's also incredible that he lived to be 18 - you're a great mom! Hang in there, the loss is really, really hard - I know.

4. Dani & Wily (GA)

Dani & Wily (GA) New Member

Well, he was hyperthyroid as well and had kidney issues, but surprisingly took me for a vigorous walk three times a day right to the end. He was a bit of a legend around here - the cat who walked on a leash. What a character. All my grey hairs are because of him.

One other piece of advice I'd give to anyone new is to get a meter!!! My vet pooh-poohed meters, but mine saved me many sleepless nights and caught one hypo. Especially good if you aren't home all day to watch them and need reassurance. To my surprise he never minded the earpokes and actually used to enjoy the snuggles that came with them. Little drama queens though they can be, cats do seem to have a good sense of when you're helping them.

5. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

I am so very sorry for your loss of Wily.

~M

6. Lynncat

Lynncat Member

I am so sorry you lost your friend. It certainly is a struggle, but it's encouraging that he spent his last 2 years in good health and happy. I have been overwhelmed by all the wonderful cat parents here.
    Lynn

7. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

May all your wonderful memories of Wily bring you comfort...

...'til you meet again.

8. sharon and sparky

sharon and sparky Member

So sorry that you lost your of Wiley. It seems he lived a long and wonderful life with much love. Fly free Wiley>>>>>><<<<<<<

9. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

(((((Dani))))) I am so very sorry for your loss. Fly free, dear Wily. wings_cat

10. fourcatsmama

fourcatsmama Member

I am so very sorry for your loss. You shared a wonderful bond with Wily. I can only hope (knock on wood) that my current four furbabies live until that age.

11. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

I am so very sorry for your loss.
    wings_cat

12. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

((Dani)) I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet Wily. He sounds special and I am sure he is waiting at the bridge with his leash, and having fun running free in the meantime.

13. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss of your beloved Wily. What a special, special kitty. May his legend live forever.
    Fly free sweet Wily land softly...
    Jeanne

14. Lisa and Spooky (GA)

Lisa and Spooky (GA) Member

I am so very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing his inspirational story with us.

Be at peace, Wily.

Lisa and Spooky (GA)

15. Jen and Sam

Jen and Sam New Member

Thank you so much for posting. My furry son (and I mean that whole heartedly) Sam was just diagnosed after a few weeks of HELL...as you know! He is 12 (owned 10 of those) and I can only hope that he will be here with me until he is 18! I am so sorry for your loss but this post inspired me and I wanted to thank you. Sammy sends you his purrs that you are missing! Your kitty was very lucky to have such a wonderful owner....I wish all kitty's were so lucky....best wishes- Jen and Sam

16. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

thanks for sharing Wily's story to encourage others to fight diabetes. I am very sorry for your loss.

laur

17. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

congratulations on a life well lived.
    very sorry for your loss.

18. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry for your loss wings_cat wings_cat

19. Carol & Smudge (GA)

Carol & Smudge (GA) New Member

Dani -

My deepest thoughts & prayers are with you. I just had to let my Smudge go on July 7th, i know he & Wily are happy, young & healthy again at the Rainbow Bridge.

Take Care,
    Carol & Smudge (GA)

20. Frip&Grip

Frip&Grip Member

Hi Dani, I’m sorry for your loss of Wily… Thanks for your inspiring post. It’s a good way to honour your Boy. o:)
    I’m still new around here (1 ½ month on Lantus)… I never debated whether it's worth it but I sure can use the encouragement some days!!!

21. RuthV

RuthV Member

Thank you for the inspiring post. I'm sorry he's gone on ahead, but I am sure he knew nothing but attention and affection.
    When you feel up to it, could you post what type of home testing you did?

Your determination to get him healthy is laudable.

22. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

what a lucky guy to have you as his person to take such wonderful care of him.

so sorry for your loss.

Peace Wiley

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.