IGF-1 test....

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Jane & Boo (GA), Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

I have an appointment scheduled with my vet on Monday, Nov. 22 for the blood draw to send to the U. of Mich for the IGF-1 test. It just occurred to me that this is Thanksgiving week. Does anyone know if they will run tests that week?

Also... since the U. of Minnesota is no longer doing the GH test, is there someplace else doing it? Is the GH test necessary for a definitive diagnosis or will the IGF-1 tell all I need to know?

Thank you.

2. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Hi Jane,

I think they usually run the IGF-1 tests on Thursday. If they don't run the tests Thanksgiving week, they can always freeze it to run the next week.

I think the GH test was relatively new. Dr. Lunn @ CSU asked people to get that test done before treatment and she was working with the lab to better develop the test, but it wasn't a necessity. If the IGF-1 comes back high and Silverado shows a documented resistance to insulin, the diagnosis is fairly certain.

A CT scan is the only absolutely positive way to diagnose acromegaly, but there's really no reason to do that unless you decide for SRT treatment, and if you do, the CT scan has to be done in Colorado. The scan is about 1/5 the cost of the treatment, so not something you want to do twice.

Good luck and let us know if we can help.

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Have the IAA test done as well. The test is cheap and you are already spending money for the blood draw and shipping to MSU for the IGF-1 test, so get both done.
    There have been some cats that have had one or the other, and some have both like my Oliver.
    I never had the GH value tested.

A positive for acro is IGF-1 above the 12-92 range, and the IAA positive is a % above 20.
    You can always have your vet call there and ask if the tests would be run.
    IAA Test
    IGF-1 (Acro) Test

4. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Yup. What Gayle says.

5. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

I think, to be on the safe side, I'll change the appointment to the following Monday. Thanks for the reminder about the IAA test. I'll post the results when I get them.

Thanks again.
    Jane & Silverado

6. Perry and Sooty

Perry and Sooty Well-Known Member

Nothing to add here regarding advice (as it seems to me you've had all the best advice already!)

You could always consider calling the Lab direct - I've called them twice and they have been nothing but very helpful and very friendly.

(517) 353-1683

I'd just also like to wish you good luck and all the very best for the tests!

7. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

Thanks Perry. I decided to do the blood draw on the 29th to eliminate any possibility of anything going wrong with the timing. I know that if the results confirm the IAA and/or Acromegaly I will need lots of advise and I know that I will be able to find it here.

Thanks so much.

8. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

The IGF-1 test is set up on Wednesdays - results/test done on Friday (not necessarily sent to the vet on Friday)

9. Perry and Sooty

Perry and Sooty Well-Known Member

You are so welcome - it seems you have "all your ducks in a row", so more power to you.
    Amen to your comment that this is the best place to get advice - I don't know what we would have done, without it - especially the folks on the Lantus ISG...!
    All the best - and have a great Thanksgiving!

10. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I forgot one more thing: hemolysis and lipemia affecting the IAA test results so you may want to fast before the draw.
    See the collection protocol:
    IAA Test

Shadoe has always had 'issues' with lipemia on all of her blood test results, so it was necessary for me to fast her from the nite before - I took up food at midnite and had her draw set for early the next morn around 10am. I took food with me so she could eat at the vet just as soon as the draw was done.
    I also fasted Oliver the same, even though there was no mention of lipemia on the few blood test results I had.
    No point in taking a chance with the results.

11. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

Thanks Gayle. I wouldn't have known to do that. If you think of anything else that I should be aware of, please let me know.

Jane & Silverado

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.