**IGNORE - DUPLICATE** re: tight regulation

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by TheBowHuntress, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

I re-read the sticky re: Lantus & Llevemir - Tight Regulation Protocol for umpteenth time. I haven't grasped it all yet, and for that I'm sorry; and I'm sorry for taking up time on this forum as it's getting to the point that I am asking the same questions more than once. Although, finally, by re-reading the sticky, it has sunk in that he has not earned an increase because his nadir (albeit my tests are inexcessive) has probably not been over 200 for 6 consecutive cycles.

There's something I read in the sticky that I need clarification on:

Random Notes:

Because of the cumulative nature of Lantus and Levemir:
    An early shot = a dose increase.
    A late shot = a dose reduction.

A "cycle" refers to the period of time between shots. There are 2 cycles in one day when shooting twice a day.

Sometimes a dose will need to be "fine tuned" by adding some "fat" or "skinny-ing up" the dose.

Looking at Gobbles' SS the past few days I gave a few "late" shots but did not reduce the dose...my bad?

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: ? re: tight regulation

Increases are not "earned" because numbers are over 200. Rather, you increase the dose in order to bring your cat into normal BG numbers.

You're confusing things. The point about the cumulative nature of Lantus is to let you know how an early or late shot effects BG levels. You don't adjust the dose based on whether you're shooting early or late. For example, if your cat is in high numbers, one strategy is to shoot your current dose an hour early since it will have the effect of increasing the dose. This strategy can work if you have the flexibility to be off schedule.

3. TheBowHuntress

I've never adjusted his dose on my own. Ok, since he's high then its OK to shoot early--I have all kinds of time for flexibility. What with all Gobbles' highs, I could have shot early many times? So then if I test him +11 tonight, and he's high (over 300?400?) then I should shoot at that time (+11)? Like I said, I'm really truly sorry that I still am confused and make too many repetitive posts. I really feel like an idiot sometimes....

4. Bruce & Simon

Bruce & Simon Well-Known Member

Usually a late or early shot is done because it has to be for a scheduling reason. My advice is to stick to your 12-hour
    schedule if you can, and don't start jumping around based on +11s. At this stage it's an invitation to confusion ;-)

5. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

It's okay, you'll get it in time. It's a whole lot to learn. And we have to read and re-read the stickeys from time to time.

Ask your questions over and over, and we'll keep trying to explain the answers.

Tomorrow, and in the future, please keep to one condo per day, okay? If some people post in one of your condos, and other people post in one of your other condos, and don't see what was posted in the first condo, it can all get confusing for both you and us. We like to keep the whole conversation for the day together in one place.
    If you want to ask a question like this, just change the Subject Line in the first post of your condo for the day, and add the ? icon, and then go to the bottom of the condo and do a Reply post with your question. That will bump your condo to the top of the list. ;-)

6. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Actually, as Sienne said, shooting early is a technique when numbers are high. Shooting early or late is not just for scheduling reasons.

Let me give you an example. If his normal shot time is 7/7 and he started up so by 6pm, he's very high. You can shoot the normal dose at 6 PM but then your new shot time is 6/6 unless you start adjusting it forward to back incrementally or unless he comes down and you have to stall.

In order to shoot early, you need to know your cats patterns since shooting early is like increasing the dose.....that is, it has the same effect. The best time to shoot early is at the beginning of a bounce. You don't want to shoot early in the middle of a bounce because the bounce could suddenly clear and numbers come flying down on you.

And when I say "you", I mean anyone....not you specifically.

I would strongly suggest that you collect a little more data on him so you know his patterns. And then it might be appropriate for someone to help you shoot early by guiding you through it.

7. TheBowHuntress

Thanks Bruce, Dyana & Marje. I will remember, again, to post in one condo...I think I did the same thing last week :roll:
    I definitely don't want to give the shot a little early because seems to me that Gobbles is very likely in the "middle" of a bounce.... Makes sense that an "early" shot would be like an increase. I am, however, starting to move him back to the 7/7 schedule. His shots yesterday were 9:15/9:15 and this morning, 9:15. I'm going to give him his PM shot @9:00 and then tomorrow AM @8:45. I know I can either do the move 15 minutes 2x per day, or 30 minutes 1x day, but I'll just do the -15 for today.

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Moving the shot time by 15 min. should have no effect on Gobble's numbers. It sounds like a good plan.

9. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

And I need to put an addendum here because I couched my post in terms of the statement about it being ok to shoot Gobbles early because he was high and Bruce's comment that it is done "because it has to be" for a scheduling reason.

I should have more thoroughly explained that there are additional instances when early shooting can be strategic but it's on a case by case basis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.