I'm a Newbie...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by GucciMaine's Madre, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GucciMaine's Madre

GucciMaine's Madre New Member

My 8 year old Maine Coon, Gucci Maine, was diagnosed with feline diabetes yesterday. I have done tons of research, and feel so out of my depth. He weighs 25 pounds, which I thought was normal for the breed, but the vet told me he was morbidly obese! So...I started 2 units of Lantus last night, so he has had three doses so far. It cost $300 for the vial, and they say it is only good for 28 days. I'm thinking of calling the vet, and telling her I want to do one of the less expensive options. I wasn't prepared for that, I don't think the vet really realized the cost, and the pharmacist thought I was nuts. He does seem to be better today, though. The vet gave him an injection for a UTI, and I'm sure that's part of it, but the litter box wasn't quite as disgusting as it has been today when I got home from work. I'm sure you've all been through this...

2. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

I’m a newbie also but I am going to ask my vet about ProZinc. I reasearched their site after a friend explained the different “actions” of insulin types. It’s about 100/ vial but sounds like it lasts a couple of months.

Welcome- this place is beyond awesome!

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Lantus is expensive in the US. Many of us buy ours from Canada where it’s much cheaper. If you get the pack of 5 pens and use each one as a mini vial, drawing the insulin out with a syringe, and keep them refrigerated, they can last a very long time. This is the pharmacy we use
    https://rxcanada4less.com/search.php
    Come to the Main Health forum and we can help you with more money saving tips. Hope to see you there!

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! I have never used Lantus, but I have read that it will last longer than the 28 days as long as it is kept refrigerated.

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, it should be good for up to 6 months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.