? I'm confused on nadir & dosing, and kinda panicked. Insight needed.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SidneysMom, Dec 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

So since hubby is home the next few days I wanted to get some mid cycle tests. I got one at +8 today and it was 6.5. I know that's a good number but it panicked me, because +8 seems late in the cycle. It was right before feeding.
    I fed 1/4 of his food, then tested about 55 minutes later at +9 it was 10. Obviously food influenced, but I wanted to get a test in to see. I gave him the rest of his food then.

Sid gets tested at 6:10am, fed at 6:15 and then his morning dose at 6:30am, then fed at 10:30 and 2:30 during the day. In the evening the cycle repeats and subsequent feedings are between 10:30 and 2:30am

If someone can peek at Sid's chart, you can see how long he's been on insulin. I *don't* have tons of data yet, because we are still getting used to testing and such.

I'm slightly worried because...how low can he go past +8? It makes me think that 1u might be too much for him. And since it's the holidays I'd like to avoid a hypo event, and avoid a situation where I'm syringing food down Sid's throat. When he's done eating, he's DONE.

I can't make his dose tonight due to a Christmas family event, but will start again tomorrow at the usual time. But is it *safe* to give 1u tomorrow morning?? Should I maybe try .75?

I'm just worried about an event over the holidays, and no vet is open. Any insight would be helpful. I don't have a lot of data yet but the next few days are data gathering days since hubby is home.

I know I sound like a dopey worried mom, and I apologize. I am just trying to manage four thousand things over here and holiday stress along with this has me frazzled. I've had like 12 hours of sleep in the past 3 days.

Thanks for any help.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi. Not dopey questions at all.
    Getting in some extra tests during the cycles will make a big difference as we will be able to see what is happening during the cycles and how low the insulin is taking Sidney.
    You need to change the 18 you have got the PMPS on the US SS. I checked the world SS and that was 18. Not sure how that happened.

the couple of lower numbers you got ...6.5 and 10 are not too low and on the numbers you have so far on the SS you do not need to reduce the dose. As I said getting some inbetween tests in both cycles will make a big difference and tell us if Sidney is dropping lower.

what I would do though is give your feeds that are during the cycles at say +2 and +5 or around those times instead of later in the cycles. You need the food to be available at onset of insulin and around the nadir.
    Does that make sense?

3. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

[You need to change the 18 you have got the PMPS on the US SS. I checked the world SS and that was 18. Not sure how that happened.]

I'm having trouble with two values not showing on the US side. No matter what I do, they don't show. I changed the 18 and that's one of them. The other one is on his PMPS of his first cycle.

[the couple of lower numbers you got ...6.5 and 10 are not too low and on the numbers you have so far on the SS you do not need to reduce the dose. As I said getting some inbetween tests in both cycles will make a big difference and tell us if Sidney is dropping lower.]

I guess I knew that, but I'm so scared to see if he goes lower! Especially because starting on Saturday I'm back to being alone during the day with him and can't home test alone yet. We are working on that but right now it takes two of us.

[what I would do though is give your feeds that are during the cycles at say +2 and +5 or around those times instead of later in the cycles. You need the food to be available at onset of insulin and around the nadir.
    Does that make sense?]

I had no idea I was supposed to do this. Is it okay for the +2 to be a smaller snack-sized meal? Like 1/4 of a FF can?
    Ideally, I'd like to feed a snack sized meal at +2, regular meal at +5, snack sized meal at +8, then a regular meal come insulin times.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ill ask @Chris & China (GA) if she can have a look at your SS

Keep trying to test on your own if you can for the times you will be alone. Are you offering him a treat as you test?
    Until then get as many tests in as you can, as that will help us to see what the current dose is doing.
    Remember you are in control if you know the numbers and can raise the BG by giving higher carb food.

Yes that would be fine. Just keep in mind that after the nadir...the lowest point in cycle...the insulin is starting to wear off and you don't want to give too much food after the nadir unless the numbers are still low. Also give some food in the pm cycle.

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

On the World spreadsheets, I'm able to set them up, but when it comes to troubleshooting, @Marje and Gracie is the professional. Sorry.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  6. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Thank you. It’s all fixed!

SidneysMom likes this.
  7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Thanks Marje!

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  8. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

Thank you so much!! <3