I’m hating this Novilin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

She’s just too high and I do not feel comfortable upping her dose at all because of the severe spikes. Yesterday at 1.5 she was in the pink but at least she didn’t have the severe spikes until the last couple hours. Today I just tested her and here we go. Back up to red. This severe bouncing on this Novilin crap couldn’t be good. And at a higher dose she’s just going to spike more. I would think the “spiking” and bouncing would be harder on her system than being steady even if her numbers were still in the 300’s. They stayed in the pink today even on 2 units.

I can’t stand this, her poor little body! We just lost a tech at work so there is no way I could get her in sooner.

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Novilin is a short acting insulin and a lot of cats respond better to long acting insulins like Levemir, Lantus, Prozinc and BCP PZI. I suggest asking your vet to prescribe one of these instead. If you switch to Lantus or Levemir, ask for the prescription for the pens instead of a vial. It will save you money since you will be able to use almost every drop. With the vial for these insulins, the insulin becomes ineffective long before you can use all of it. You will use the pens like mini vials. One package of pens could last almost a year depending on the dose.

3. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

I had to switch from Novolin to lantus, lantus is working out a lot better for bella, he needed a longer lasting one as well

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

That actually makes me feel better. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.