Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

I can not do this. Every freaking shot I give is a fur shot. I just got home...tested her BG and it’s 545. And so I feed and shoot and it’s all over the palm of my hand somehow. Please don’t send how to links...I’ve looked and read them all twice over. So now I’m going to have to try to sleep after feeding horses knowing she’s running that high. I’m in tears I am SO frustrated over this

2. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Cries is fine. I cried my eyes plenty over a blasted ear test. One big cry over a fur shot and then a mighty howl over a B12 shot. I think if we don't bawl at some point we must have a stuffed animal !

High is better than low. You will get there.

Where do you try to shoot please?

Do you try to hoick up the fur and shoot into that. Soz . I am British so I think I mean gather up the fur to a small tunnel and shoot?

I do not do this.

I arm myself like a Major General. I place cat to his side . I get ready with syringe and a plunge into Ty at an angle of 30/45 degrees having parted a bit of fur.

Is your cat......furry....as in long hair?

For you :arghh: and :mad: and o_O and :(

and also :cat:

3. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Ye
    s I do all that. She’s super fluffy. I cut a spot out and you can’t even see it. I have some syringes that aren’t the right measurement but the dang needles appear to be attached

4. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

What syringes are you using? The specifics should be on the box or bag.
    I'm looking for something like "Relion 3/10cc 31 gauge 5/16" length for U-100 insulin."

Sometimes the length and gauge make a difference. I've been doing this a long time and am STILL prone fur shots when I use longer needles. I much prefer the 5/16 inch "short" needles (also called 8mm).

5. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

No
    way. I want longer and stronger. I pulled the string out of garbage and looked and needle was bent. It’s way WAY too tiny. My next post has pics of what I’m using. I’m using 31g 5/16

6. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Trim a spot on her that you are able to see better

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Olive being long hair and super thin, no scruff when she arrived it was impossible to tent her or roll the skin.

When she is eating try using fine tooth comb and part the hair, upper side of chest, don't worry about tenting (never worked me with 2 cats). When you see the skin just give shot, wait a second before pulling needle out. I use short needle syringes and go right to the hub with a bit of pressure so I know the needle is in.

8. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I use buzzers to shave a spot so I can see the needle going in.
    I've bent a few needles too. I don't push the needle in slow but I don't jam it in either. I found if I go too far/hard it bends the fine needle. Sometimes, it's just a faulty needle.
    When Chuck was very skinny, I would pinch the skin and poke into the skin I was pinching, between my fingers.
    For shots happen... We just had one the other day. I swear one throws off your confidence for a few shots. They're frustrating. Test for ketones and keep on dancing.

jerzgrrrl72 and Kris & Teasel like this.
  9. jerzgrrrl72

jerzgrrrl72 Member

Just wanted to tell you not to give up. I felt the same way about BG testing. I was ready to just hang it up because I felt like all I was doing was hurting my kitty and messing up her ears, but I tried the vaseline trick for that, and that has made all of the difference. As far as her injections go, my cat is a shorthair, so I don't have any issues finding her skin, but what my Vet showed me was to pinch up the scruff of her neck (as if I were going to carry her by it,) and stick the needle into the fold in the middle of the pinch (if that makes any sense?) I do this while Sake is chowing down on her breakfast and dinner, and she doesn't even notice (she's a VERY voracious eater though :joyful:) Keep trying though, and you WILL find something that works for you, and when you do, it will just "click." :bighug:

10. PiePie

PiePie Member

Hi Bobbi, I totally understand your frustration. I'm pretty much there with the BG testing, every time I even try to do it before feeding them is a freaking disaster. I can't watch another video of the chill cat mid-day just laying there and letting it happen. I can just tell you this: my guy did not like the shots at first, I literally had to ride him like a horse to hold him down, and 2 weeks later we are good. I can call him up on a barstool and he'll jump up for his shot. I don't tent, I pinch and scoot his fur out of the way until I see skin (he's medium haired) and stick the needle in as close to 45 degrees as I can. The needle goes in, the insulin goes in. I think all of us "newbies" on here on doing the best that we can. Let's stick with it together.

11. meezerlady

meezerlady New Member

SHAVE a square of hair or have your vet do it. No reason to give fur shots if their is no fur! Could never have done it if vet hadn't shaved a spot.

Magic Johnson likes this.
  12. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Hang in there you will get the hang of it is hard at the begining but with practice it gets better, and think that a little insulin is better than no insulin, even if you don't get it right all the times you are already helping her.

Try shaving a spot that's what I had to do with Babu he has A LOT of hair so that's the only way I was able to do it, that way you are actually grabbing his skin so no fur shoots and you see exactly where you are shooting and you can use the small needles then

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  13. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

You've probably already heard this a million times but if not, maybe this will help:

Squallie has very dense, medium-length fur. The only way I know for sure I won't be giving a fur shot is by pinching a fold of skin (like I'm going to scruff him to pick him up, only just using a couple of fingers) and pull up; then I use the middle knuckle on my other hand's fore- or middle finger to make sure there is a "hollow" below where I'm pinching, and inject there, at a 40-45 degree angle. It also helps if you make sure that the bevel on the needle is facing upwards.

no cry 2.jpg

Don't let it get you down. Before you know it you'll be doing it all without even thinking about it! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

14. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I have heard most of it but thank you! There’s no way I can see the bezel of these needles tho :( they are that small. I have some 29g in order....hoping they’re substantially bigger than the 32g!!!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  15. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Ps...just wondering- why on the bezel facing upward?

Squalliesmom likes this.
  16. Squalliesmom

I don't know, except it's supposed to make it slide in easier - no drag on the skin.

17. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

But it slid right through her FUR,,,real easy!:rolleyes:

18. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Awww! I’m typing between patients at work and did not notice the little kitty meme...so cute! Thanks for the smile!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  19. krazy4kritters

krazy4kritters Member

You can do this.
    I pull Diamond’s fur to make a “tent”. I stand over the top of him, part the fur a bit, grab fur, pull up, then pull skin over needle.

E44C74E1-6962-457B-B2FA-5638C766B28C.jpeg

20. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I think tonight I will try the grabbing fur. I saw someone else say this also! Thank you ;)

krazy4kritters likes this.
  21. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I grabbed a 16g needle here at work and totally see why bezel up. I took photos...pretty self explanatory :) down it would slide along skin
    57DFF2BD-26F3-4D9A-B180-3FC60B973349.jpeg
    CE3C30EF-7093-422C-BCAF-5253D832F733.jpeg

22. Squalliesmom

That certainly does explain it!

23. PussCatPrince - GA

I'd lend you Tylers bald bits
    Blimey ! That looks like a screwdriver !

Squalliesmom likes this.
  24. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I’ve been telling people at work it’s what I’m going to use and OMGosh some have believed me!!!

25. Megan and Tessie

Megan and Tessie Member

I always pull the tent over the needle too, as I push in the needle. For me, I can actually feel it going in, which helps. Tessie has nice short hair though...I'm sure it's tough with a fluffy coat!

krazy4kritters likes this.
  26. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Lol maybe on a horse, not a cat. ;)

27. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Because insulin needles aee so small in diameter it really does not make any difference with the bevel orientation. It does make a difference with larger diameter needles like those used for subQ fluids since those are tryupicaly at an angle to the skin and you do not what the heal of the bevel to contact the skin before the point.

28. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I was actually wondering that when I got home last night. That and aside from the fact there is no way I could see the bezel, I don’t have a microscope :)

29. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

OK feeling much better..I can’t seem to say thank you all enough on here. I know, I know...I’m going to be reprimanded for not fixing my ss...but here’s a graph showing Gretchen’s levels and the spike of those 2 misses. Now if her fur will quit stealing my shots we are on our road. This is 2 units am/pm, feeding and injecting as close to 11:30a/p as I can get.
    1024F356-2254-4D81-BC7B-AE15CFF99E8E.jpeg

PS all the spikes are fur grabbers :/

Bellasmom and JanetNJ like this.
  30. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

31. PussCatPrince - GA

Fix yer ss fur grabber !

Kiddin' coz I couldn't resist. :cat:

32. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

33. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Ok. Grade my ss. Please consider my brain and my time at this in your grade. :)
    Comments on super highs are because in all this there’s been several fur shots...2 in a row on Tues I think it was :confused::mad:

Veronica & Babu-chiri and JeffJ like this.
  34. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Grade for SS setup: A+ :D

JeffJ likes this.
  35. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Spreadsheet looks great. Over time, please try to get as many nadir readings as possible. It will help you (and us) to measure effectiveness of the dose and whether to increase or decrease the dose.

36. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

If I can keep that dang fur from grabbing my shots! Seems like she was leveling out slowly and coming down then the fur misbehaved a few times ...:banghead:

JeffJ likes this.
  37. PussCatPrince - GA

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

38. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Big aplause on the SS! !!

And her numbers look quite nice considering she was diagnosed just a few days ago and all :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.