I'm new!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Wacko's mama, Sep 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wacko's mama

Wacko's mama New Member

Hello!
    I am new to this forum amd to being a feline diabetic mama. My 12 yr old takes Novolin, 5.5 units 2x daily. Hates wet food, eats Hill's M/D food. Loves it. Was diagnosed in June. We are struggling a lot with urinating everywhere. Won't use litterbox anymore. We started using puppypads and those were working really well until a few days ago. Is now going in kitchen, living room (not on the pads)....walking has been increasingly deteriorating. So so hard seeing this...we are struggling financially with some of the medical recommendations too. I am so sad.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    The human insulin N/NPH (Novolin is one brand) is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    Better insulins are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective.

5 1/2 units is a high dose. How was it arrived at and how long?
    Most of us here test our cat's blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    Here is a link to home testing blood sugar http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Without knowing BG at various times during the day it is impossible to determine if 5.5 units is too much or too little. Some conditions require high insulin doses.

What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb canned

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. Sorry you're having so many problems with your kitty. The excessive peeing, and in inappropriate places, is probably due to his not being regulated. We can help you better if we can see what kind of glucose numbers he has. If you're willing to learn how to home test (it's really easy and we will help you) and record the numbers you get, we can point you in the right direction. Another thing that could be going on is a UTI, which is common in unregulated diabetics. That will take a trip to the vet to diagnose. The poor walking is also a sign of an unregulated cat. It can be helped with a methyl B12 supplement such as Zobaline, but again, the best cure is regulation. Please come over to the Main Health forum and ask any questions you have. There are more folks there that can help you find the answers to help your kitty.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

What are his bigger numbers? Are you testing at home? I know you said he hates wet food, but what you are giving him is high in carb (although better than many dry Foods).

5. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

Welcome to our group. There are a lot of people who will do their best to try to help you and Wacko. Have you started testing his blood at home? Testing will keep him safe. You can buy a meter made just for pets(expensive) or buy an inexpensive meter for humans. Most people here buy the human meters. Every cat is different, so is their response to the different kinds of insulin. Only you and your vet should choose what insulin is best for Wacko. Some insulins are more flexible about the time of the shots, allowing you to have a job and a social life. One of the more expensive insulins stings. Everyone has their favorites. I hope you can find lots of answers to your questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.