Im new :)

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by RyanAmy02, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

Hello. Im new to the site. My kitty Carl, about 9yrs old, is using pro zinc right now. Currently at 3 units every 12hrs. We have been trying to regulate his insulin since the end of Jan. Glad I found the site :)
    Amy and Carl

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Amy, and welcome...
    first things first...are you hometesting extra sweet Carl yet?
    Lori
    and tomtom

3. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Glad you came over!

You might want to link your previous post on the healthboard, so you don't have to duplicate your answers.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i just came back from health and saw them....but would be good to have them here for the others.
    i don't seee a spread sheet...am i missing something...everyone seems to know the numbers your dealing with.
    lori

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

wish you would have found newbie kits before buying online. a 40 dollar meter???? that's ridiculous. still if you need stuff, let me know.

6. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

Lori and Tom, the $40 kits were at the store, I ordered one from walmart online and then saw the newbie kits so went there and ordered one and canceled my order with walmart. Id rather spend the money on a donation and kit then walmart. Im not sure how to link things or how to do a spreadsheet. I think I saw a place talking about spreadsheets so Im going to have to check that out. As for his levels all I know is they were over 500, Maybe 556 but im not sure. The doc just said over 500 then mentioned the exact number when passing the chart off to the tech. He is still urinating and drinking a lot. Im trying to keep the box as clean as possible so that Ill notice when the puddles get smaller. He also pees in my hall way so im looking for that to lessen or even hopefully stop.

7. donnahc

donnahc Well-Known Member

Welcome Amy and Carl :)

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oh great...one of the 2 kits i'm setting up this morning is for you!!!!! tell me anything special you need....check your pm's ok. private message upper left corner.

9. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

Im a bit confused on how to make the spread sheets. I thought I saw a topic about them but I cant find it now so Im not sure if i did or not. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to make one.

10. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Go to the message board home page and select tech support. You will see the heading for setting up a spreadsheet there.

11. hollyall

hollyall Well-Known Member

Read through your post on Health cause I wanted to get to know you and Carl. Just wanted to say hello and welcome. I'm sure you're already figuring out that you've come to the best place for help with your diabetic cat. I knew next to nothing at first and was overwhelmed and stressed. This forum and following the great advice/protocol really helped me turn Max's health around. Read all you can and ask questions. We want to help.

Here's the link to setting up the spreadsheet. It's a very handy way to keep track of your home testing BG #'s when you start. Since it's through Google doc's, you can link to it in your signature and that way we can see what Carl's #'s are when trying to help.
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207

12. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

Thanks guys!!! I do believe this is the best thing I have found to help. I never realized all that went along with it since my childhood cat was easily treated. Thanks for the link!

13. judy and squamee(GA)

judy and squamee(GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome! How was your childhood cat treated?

14. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

He was give 1unit every 12hrs, it was never increased or decreased and once he began being treated he went back to acting completely normal. This was for about the last 9yrs, he just died last month. He did end up with pancreas problems last year and that is what ultimately took a toll on him.

I spoke with the vet doc for Carl this morning and he said based on him still having increased urination and eating 4 cans of food now we should up his dose to 4units from 3units twice a day. He has already received his 3units this morning so we will do 4 tonight I guess. Hes really pushing the home testing, Im so glad he supports it since it seems to have really helped a lot of people here.

15. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and Welcome Amy and Carl,

Glad to hear you will be testing and great that your vet is on board with it too.

Welcome to our little group.

Robin

16. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Big Increase! I would try something between 3 and 4--Carl might end up needing 4 units-- but one unit is a large increase.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

wait a minute...on what basis did he reccomend rainsing the dose?
    there is no testing going on...that might be a very bad idea...and did he say based on the increase in food? no no no...that is not responsible.
    you must know what your shooting into before you raise dose by a unit .... or raise by anthing.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

your kit should arrive tomorow (fri) or sat. latest.
    have you recently switched diets to low carb? if so...then it would be especially DANGEROUS to raise the dose.
    Seriously.
    either wait until you have the kit...or let us know the number he is basing this on and the hours since the last shot before the number.
    I don't usually get this definet....

19. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

I thought a whole unit was a bit much of an increase. He said based on him still having increased urination we are going to up the units. He also said if I see him looking drunk or wobbly to go ahead and lower it. I havent switched him from the Friskie Flakes yet, I was planning on going to the patte in either friskies of FF tomorrow. Maybe Ill wait to up it until I can start testing him. He said if I get the kit tomorrow or Saturday to call and come in otherwise he is back Tuesday to come in and the tech is in Wednesday. Maybe Ill wait.

20. judy and squamee(GA)

I agree with Lori. I don't mean to scare you, but that is quite a lot of insulin when you are not checking BG levels. We have seen cats hypo because vets sent their owners home with insulin doses that were too high and no testing. We strongly recommend testing before every shot (we call it the preshot test-- amps for morning preshot and PMPS for evening preshot test). While not giving enough insulin can be dangerous in the long run, giving too much can be life threatening immediately. It is wonderful that your childhood kitty did so well ( without testing) for so many years---but 3 or 4U is a LOT higher dose.
    Congratulations on finding us and keep posting with all and any questions. We like to be helpful.

21. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OK Amy...mommy to mommy here.....there is soooooo much wrong with the game plan that can lead to disaster. and i am the least conservative party here.
    ONE>>>IF YOUR CAT LOOKS DRUNK OR WOBBLY...CUT DOSE??????
    is he crazy? that is the LEAST of what you do in that case. sure you cut dose...but deal with the drunk wobbly cat immediatly with HIGH CARBS
    and next...If you are switching up some lower carb foods tomorow...then today is not the day to up the dose by even a smidge....you may even need to lower the dose.
    many many many cats drop 100 to 200 points based on diet alone.
    you can test without your vet...or the vet tech.
    you can test soon as you get your kit.
    as a matter of fact if you want a telephone walk thru just call me.
    I am very upset with a vet who does not get these simple concepts.
    Sorry if i sound ranting...i just don't want to see your baby get od'd before we even start.
    the thing is 3u's is already such a high dose.
    Lori

22. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

Yeah I thought 3 was high as well. And now 4 seems high to me. I think Im going to keep him at 3 especially since we are switching food tomorrow. And then once Ive started testing Ill call him back with some numbers and tell him I didnt switch because I didnt feel comfortable with it. I hope switching the food does help and the insulin can either stay like this or get lowered. I noticed when I was looking at some of the spreadsheets that people dose based on the numbers they get. How do you know what amount to give?

And no worries, your concerns were the same as mine, thats why I came here as soon as I hung up the phone. :D

23. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Amy that is a very very good question.
    Do not look at my SS as you cannot compare my insulin to pzi...apples and oranges.

A person would base their dose on a whole series of numbers.
    when you first start testing we may possibly reccomend you go down to 1u and do a curve with it.
    has your kitty had ketones?
    very important question....
    when we watch a pattern we gradually, or not so gradually see what the kitty's insulin needs are. and they are subject to regular change when using pzi.

24. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

Ok that makes sense. No, luckily we have seen NO Ketones! So that is good.

Thanks for the quick replies.

25. judy and squamee(GA)

You have to do what you think best, but I think it is not a good idea to switch foods now. That may drastically reduce the insulin needed(we have people whose cats went down 100 points overnight with just a food switch). The safe route would be to wait till you are testing and have a clear picture of BG levels. We usually recommend people start at 1U and increae by small increments ( anywhere from .2 to .5) as needed. We call it start low, go slow. That way you don't skip over what could be an optimum dose---and it is a safe approach.

26. judy and squamee(GA)

I just read some of your posts inHealth. Your vet is a curious mix. Sounds great that he advocates home testing, which is not typical among vets. And glad to know that he did not start you out at 3U. But it is curious that he wants you to up insulin without waiting for the testing that he is recommending.

27. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

I am a little nervous about upping the dosage with him not having been tested first as well. Im going to wait until i get the meter to make changes. Id rather see where he is right now before i try to make a change. He is pretty much basing the up on how he is still urinating a lot. But hes always peed more than my other cat. Im also glad he supports the testing.

28. judy and squamee(GA)

Great! I am SO glad to hear you are not making changes till you can test. What dose insulin are you planning to shoot? When you get your testing supplies, be aware that it is often a little challenging to do at first. If you have any difficulties let us know, we have lots of tricks and suggestions to help you. While you are waiting for the supplies, you might try watching some of the videos on home testing. Also, most people find it helps a lot if you warm the ear before poking, and a tiny dab of Vaseline helps the blood bead up so you can see it better.good luck!

29. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

OK, my nerves just took a beating reading along. :lol: Thankfully everyone else has already chimed in, so I will just second

- no dose increase until you are testing, and then in no more than 1/2 increments at a time
    - no food switch until you are testing, or if you want to switch and can't test, drop the dose to 1u

Still in recovery from the drunk and wobbly comment :shock: :shock: :shock:

Welcome!!!! :mrgreen:

Feel free to start a daily thread with your news. Even if you aren't started testing yet, we are kookoo here and are happy to have reports on stuff like peeing & pooping ohmygod_smile

30. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

the drunk and wobbly comment...---- @-) i know, right??????????????????????/

31. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

AHAHAHAHA Im soooo glad its not JUST me!!! :lol: I do believe his pee clumps are getting smaller. And oddly enough, but not the FIRST time this has happened, he followed me into the bathroom and hopped in the tub and peed. Better than on my carpet so I let him then I spray some bleach and rinse. When he had the HL he would actually take showers with me.

He is seeming in a better mood today. Following me all over. Sometimes I get frustrated, hes meowing at me and Idk what he wants, he will have food and water and ill pet him and play and he still tries to trip me and wont stop meowing. But at least hes doing something :)

32. judy and squamee(GA)

Cats who are unregulated may not be able to metabolize food properly, and that means they are hungry even tho they have eaten. He may be meowing for food. How often do you feed him?

33. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

He eats every couple few hours. It depends on how much he is trying to get my attention and a lot of times he will sit infornt of the case lmeowing so Ill know he wants food.

I GOT MY KIT!!!!!!! Carl is happily playing with a toy :D and Im looking at the stuff! Thanks Lori.

I think Ill call the vet and let them know, theres no charge for them showing me how to get the sample so I figure hands on is the best way. I cant belive how excited I am about this! :D

34. judy and squamee(GA)

Great! Let us know how it goes.

35. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

Ok appt was fast. He tested at 299. The doc still wants me to up it to 4 and then start a curve on sunday or monday and call him tuesday with the recordings. He also lost another 2oz just since his appt last thursday.

36. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

NOOOOOOOOOOO!
    PLEASE!
    I dont' like to dissagree with a vet but this is not rite!
    the number was likely due to vet stress and how many hours since shot.

also, are you switching foods now?
    are you going to do a test today?

lori
    and lord thomas

37. judy and squamee(GA)

How did your learning the testing go? Can you test on your own now? If so, can you get in a test or two before you shoot tonight? If the BG is a lot lower at .home, maybe the vet would not still think 4U is such a good idea. It seems
    High to us, but if you really Trust this vet and want to follow his instructions then he should be fully informed. And if the numbers go way up tonight then we would nOt be as frightened by this large dose. Can you also remind us just how much you have been giving hIm so we have a clearer picture?
    If you have any problems with the testing be sure to let us know, we can help.

38. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

This was only my 2nd meeting with this Doc and hes currently at 3 units wanting it upped to 4. I still feel like 4 is too high, but when I expressed concern he just said he felt it was fine. I asked if for any reason he thinks I would have to lower the dose based on the reading and he said we would know after we did a curve for a day or two. I feel that it being at 299 and him possibly having higher levels from stress that upping it might not be the best. Im not changing food yet either. Although Im wondering if I should depending on what his numbers are before his next shot. Could it happen to be that changing his food might make the numbers drop enough to not need to up the insulin? If we can use less insulin just by switching food wouldnt that be better?

Grr. Ive never not agreed with a vet or doctor or whatever. I think we should be doing a curve based on the 3 units before we up it to 4 units. Why would we up it before knowing for sure how the 3 is working?????? :?

Umm and last info since I reread the posts...his shot was at about 930 this am and the test was done at like 205pm so it wasnt quite 5hrs. I can do more tests today. I feel comfortable with it and Carl could have cared less.

Also, where do you guys test from, like what place on your furry kid?

39. judy and squamee(GA)

You are asking all the right questions! Yes, his dosage should be based on the numbers you get before shooting. Ideally you set the dosage based on the nadir (lowest point in the cycle often in the area of +6 , which is 6 hours after the shot) and the preshot value. We can help you with recommendations if you post the numbers when you get them.
    Yes, if switching foods brings his numbers down and that means less insulin, that is definitely preferable.
    We test on the edge of the ear. If you look at the PZI page and the sticky info for newbies, there should be a lot of links to info about where and how to test.
    Keep us posted !

40. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

we test on the outer rim of the ear.
    and judy...did you read back on this thread to what the vet said to do if kitty was acting drunk or wobbly? cut dose.
    that's it. cut dose.
    see, i am not comfortable with a vet who say's that.
    i can send you a really nice video of how to do the ear pokey.
    look at you pm's
    upper left corner.

41. judy and squamee(GA)

42. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

43. judy and squamee(GA)

I agree, Lori. That is about the most strange (and potentially dangerous) piece of advice I have ever heard from a vet. If he's acting that bad I would think you would be giving karo and heading straight for the emergency hospital.

44. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

exactly.
    by the time you reduce dose...may be too late to shoot anything!

45. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

Today he did add that if he is acting drunk or anything to give kayro or however you spell it or syrup if i have it around to help bring the level up. They showed me with his ear and his pad of his paw. The tech who does home testing and testing of pets staying uses the pad. She said her kitty at home is very against getting his ears used. Carl did seem to mind either one. I was just wondering what you all do. Thanks for the videos. I think Ill test him at about 5, 3hrs since they test him and about 4hrs before he is due for his next shot. Im just hoping that if I dont up the dose i dont get negative response from the vet, I like the place and dont want to search for a new one, but Im not going to do things im not comfortable with. And upping it that much just feels wrong. I think trying the food is better. He didnt seem phased much by me switching foods and seemed to want to move forward with the extra unit. Maybe its just because he came in mid care and we had a different doc until last week? Idk, but Im not upping until I check some more numbers.

46. judy and squamee(GA)

Almost ALL of us ( how many people on this international site?) test using the ear. Less likely to get any infection or irritation from kitty litter.

47. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

Oh Judy that makes total sense. I know he stands and pees on his hind paws so I told them i wouldnt test from there. I didnt even think about it then they showed me on the front.

48. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Amy altho he is the vet,,,,YOU are the mom. You do not have to do everything he says...you can try out your own tests to see what you want to do...he is YOUR cat after all. And the vet is paid to help you...not intimidate you, or demand of you.
    Alot of folks here, me included, get nervouse around the vet. Like they will think I'm the crazy one or something...or worse...maybe they won't treat my cat anymore!!!
    But this is such nonsense. I wish we all lived close and could go in pairs to the vet for more self confidence :mrgreen: We should never be afraid of our opinions when dealing with OUR cat and their illness.
    Lori
    and Lord Thomas.

49. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

I hate going to the doctor for myself so taking him isnt much better. Im glad they are there but it is intimidating, i mean they have the degree for it, not me. He might know more medically, but like you said Carl is MINE! I wouldnt treat my kids the way he recommended so why would I treat my furry kids that way if I disagreed? Im going to start with numbers tonight and in the morning and a food switch tomorrow afternoon. I dont want to draw this out and take forever BUT I do want to get things right and not make huge leaps. I think starting with his diet is good. Other wise we get the insulin right, change the food and then what if it really drops down? Probably nothing good.

and I think if we went in groups to the vet, the vet would be the one who was scared! :lol:

50. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

Hmm well that didnt go well he screamed at me and wouldnt let me touch his ears. Even attempted to bite me which is totally out of character for him. Tried his paw because I wanted to test and got a tad but got an error reading from the GM. So ill let him be for now since hes shunning me.

51. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

Ok so I got his reading at 550pm, his morning shot was at about 930am so its +8 and it read 104.

Oh and he was giving me a hard time because he had to pee I guess. after I let him go he went straight in there. Note to self, try to let him potty first.

52. hollyall

Don't get discouraged about the testing. It takes a little practice and training for you both. Every cat is different and I have to admit my cat Max was a hard one to let me test. Some cats pick up the testing pretty easy and some need a little more time. Max absolutely did not want to hold still...was a total bear about it. In the beginning, I had to have someone help me by holding Max, so I could have both hands free. I would wrap Max in a blanket and that helped keep him from using his paws on me or to get away and eventually he seemed to find the blankey comforting. As best you can, try not to get nervous. Use your most calm, lovey mom voice and talk to Carl about what you're doing. Also, whether the test is successful or not a little treat after is a big help. Max still doesn't love testing like some kitties come to love it, but, he'll do it cause as soon as he hears the meter beeps that it's done, he jumps up for his treat. I was a nervous wreck when I first started with shaking hands and a wiggley unwilling kitty, but, after some time and practice, it did get easier. When people would tell me that when I first started testing, I didn't believe them, but it really did get easier. Don't give up.

53. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

I know it HAS to get easier, everything eventually becomes routine. When he had the feeding tub, the canned food smell made me gag, then knowing I was injecting it through a tube into his throat. Well i almost puked every time I fed him for 2 days and that was every 2 hrs. Then it just became routine for him and me, I could do it half asleep and he could sleep right through it. So I know this has to get easier and hopefully faster lol. As long as he doesnt shake his head again and throw the bead of blood onto my face :shock:

Thank you for your support :D

54. hollyall

I posted my response before seeing your update. So glad the testing went easier. Yay...you got your first reading!!! 104 is a good #, although it makes me wonder about the 3u. You'll definitely want to check when it's time for Carl's next shot. Depending on what you get, you may want to think about cutting back on the dose, but it's a little early to know that yet. Now you're home testing, you can see that sometimes the stress of being at the vet can really raise BG #'s and you'll get more accurate #'s at home.

55. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

You know, Im amazed at the difference between the 2 readings. I mean I was thinking maybe 50-100 different. But not 195 lol. Thats good though. When I test later we will see what it says. But I cant say enough how glad I am tha tI found this site. I probably would have gone ahead and gave him the 4u had I not and Im thinking 4u is too much for him. But we will know more I guess as I test him more

56. donnahc

donnahc Well-Known Member

Hi Amy:
    I have to chime in too and say it does get easier. And I didn’t believe that in January when we were dx’ed.

For us the giant help was, I think it was Judy that told us about holding a small pill bottle behind the ear to test. We put warm water in it to warm the ear. (or microwave the water in the bottle without the lid for 13 seconds)

That was the thing that clicked for us and made testing so much easier and faster. It used to take two of us to test Asher but now I do it myself. I sit on the floor with the cat between my knees and hold the warm bottle against his ear with one hand and the lancet with the other. I talk to him the whole time. He purrs for the whole process and when he hears the “chicken beep” he knows the treats are coming :D

Some people here use a warm rice filled sock behind the ear too.

Sorry if I have repeated what other have told you or you already know ohmygod_smile

57. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

Thanks! I didnt use the rice sock or anything this time, but Im going to next time, I think part of my fear is pricking myself. lol I tried sitting with him between my legs, he wasnt having it, we ended up with him in my lap and my daughter getting the dot of blood onto the tester

58. sueandsamwise

sueandsamwise Well-Known Member

Hi Amy, My Sam is on PZI too and his highest dose was 2.75U which I only did for a short while until we had a break through and I could lower the dose. 3 U is high, very high and 4 is even worse. Go with your gut and if it seems high to you don't shoot it! Please test before a shot when it's time for the next one. If Carl is picky about his ears warm it up first put the cotton ball behind it and poke him fast! My Sam really howls now at first he didn't even act as it it hurt. But now his ears are sore and he's crabby about it but we still test him. It's improtant to test!!!! Lori is right about the dose, she helped me a lot with my cat. So, go with the gut, please test pre-shot and if he's crabby about the test, do the preshots and a plus 6. 6 hours after his am shot. Good luck!

59. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Amy, I have to say....and I don't usually say this...but WHAT???????
    you have a kitty at +8 at 107 down from his earlier stressed out +4 or 5....
    You are using PZI...
    not only is a dose increase not rite...this cat may be unshootable tonight.
    And if he zooms to over 200 from +8 to then...it is still more than likely he is rebounding.

I think, no, I don't think...I know you cannot increase dose on this kitty and for all I know you may not even be able to shoot him tonight.
    No shots for you under 200.
    Not until you get enough data. (let's get a spread sheet going)
    And I don't thing anyone will argue with me when I say if you are over 200 you should drop dose to 1 unit.
    Had you not been testing, had you not met us, had you followed dr.s orders this poor baby...well, i don't even want to think about it.
    His PU/PD is up right? have you said that?
    He's been tested for a UTI?

Oh my, That +8 is just unbelieveable!
    excuse me while I go collect myself.
    Lori
    and Lord Thomas.

60. Joanna & Bix (GA)

You are ABSOLUTELY right!!!!

Changing the food can dramatically lower their insulin needs, and though they almost always do still need some insulin for a while to get back on track, that gives them the best chance for going OTJ.

And yes, it makes 0 sense to raise the dose when you don't know what the current dose is doing. We also do NOT raise in 1u increments - that's old school, and just too much room to miss the right dose and overdo it.

It is hard to disagree with your vet. Many if not most of us have been in the exact place you are, and stuggled too with how to handle it. I would say the short version is do NOT do something unsafe, which is what the dose increase would be. If your vet knows you got a reading around 100 they may well even say not to increase the dose. They are basing it on something like 300 earlier today, right? So if you need a spin to put on it when you talk to them, I would say "that number was lower than I expected, so I wasn't sure if it was safe to raise the dose, so I decided to wait until I could discuss it with you" or whatever. Ultimately I found it easier not to confer with my vet on specific doses, and just discuss the general picture. Or nod and smile and then go home and do what I wanted. :D

Suggestions for now, as others have said:

- NO SHOT if the BG is under 200. If it is that low, wait and retest, and then once it is over 200 shoot a reduced dose.
    - NO DOSE INCREASE
    - No food change until you can reliably test, and/or drop the dose to 1u when you change foods.

Testing can be up & down for a while until you get the routine going. Sounds like you are off to a good start (minus the kicking & screaming, LOL!), and have a good head on your shoulders. Trust your instincts, and don't feel like you have to do what the vet says simply b/c they are a vet. Remember, you are hiring them to be your consultant, so they're like your employee. Hehe. We all struggle with this. ;-)

61. Joanna & Bix (GA)

p.s. on the dose I would lower it to 2.5 and gather some data (and lower if your PS is low tonight). Based on today's #s I'd say 3u is either perfect or a little bit high. For safety, I would pull back a little. No need to see green #s on your second day of testing. :shock:

62. Kathyh

Kathyh Member

Good for your vet not charging to show you how to test. I got charged $127. for the vet tech to show me all wrong.
    With those numbers I sure wouldn't go up, and if you switch to low carb wet, down would be the way to go.
    The vets said Maisey was over 500, I never saw any numbers that high. So I'd assume it's up at least 100 points by not being home.

63. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

Ok sorry guys. Pay days are our eat out days and the hubby wasnt willing to give up his smoothie. I got home, test Carl and the number is 383. So we do we think? I have no clue. Im think ok sot him, but at what dose? stay with 3u or drop?

64. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

That reading would have been at +12

65. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i'm sorry i will miss this evenings # and dose..home by 10pm west coast. Will look in.
    i advised 1u...if over 200. saw joanna adivse sticking with dose or going down .5
    i understand what your thinking joanna...not broke---don't fix
    still.....
    if shooting that amount promise a +2 and +6
    the 2 to see how quickly she's moving
    the 6 to see how low she goes.

let's not forget that low +8 is on a vetty bean day!!!! who know's what numbers we would see if it had been a normal regular day. plus let us not forget this number is also on a kibble fed kitty.
    i find these factors ummmm, pretty amazing.

66. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Personally I would drop it to 2.5 - you don't know what this morning's PS was, there are just so many unknowns. Alternately if you want to start introducing LC food, you could drop the dose back to 1u and start switching over.

67. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Lori are you still around, did you see PMPS 383? I'm thinking 2.5, but I wouldn't argue with reducing further, especially if a food change is on the near horizon. What do you think? I definitely think 3u is risky as you said.

68. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hi amy...was just leaving.
    the zoom up...hmmm...interesting for a talk tomorow..or today with joanna or someone.
    your call.
    1u or 2.5u
    either way...if 2.5u can you get a +2 and +6?
    i can kind of understand if you want to go to bed tho and not get up again.

69. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Maybe try 2u and be able to sleep? It's kind of a toss up, but I think we are all agreed no 3u :shock: to be on the safe side.

70. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

discussion for tomorow...105 to 383 in 4 hours. is that a zoomy rebound like number? 270 points. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    just sayin.
    not a comfortable curve.

71. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

Hmm Ill have to think about it. Im not sure. I know Ill get the +2 reading, I have a crap load of homework to finish thats due tonight. Im think the +6 is a maybe since it would be 4am. But then again the dogs been getting me up at 4am-ish to go out. I wish I wasnt babysitting tomorrow so I could be home to do good checks. but I have to pay back the friend who watched my kids when the husband was deployed.

72. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Lori it could just be poopout, hard to know til she has more data. I think today is probably a toss-out anyway b/c of the vet trip, stress, all that. Plus if he's on higher carb food, could be that. I'm not worried. :mrgreen: OK well maybe I'm worried, but not particularly about that. :lol: Bix used to go from blue to black in less than an hour when he was in liver training... and I did *plenty* or rebound checks and it wasn't that. I think maybe it's your Lev-head going :eek: , so put back on that PZI hat and go :cool:

:mrgreen:

73. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ohhh, yes the lev's never mve much..they just stay and glide gently around the numbers.
    the pzi kitties zoom?
    i forget.
    i iz hopelez confused_cat
    new food, start over i guess.

74. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

I think Im going to go with 2.5 and recheck in +2 then I have to be out of here at about 930 (which is why I am getting this shot done now.) and Ill try to test at 7 when get up and ill set the alarm for +6 and try to get up, to see where that gets us.

75. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Sounds good. What you see at +2 will help you know whether you will need to keep testing or not. A lot of times the shot hasn't really kicked in by then, so your +2 could be higher than the PS, or about the same, or maybe a little bit lower. If that's the case, I might get in another spot test if it's easy to do so, but I probably wouldn't be too worried. If it's a lot lower though than your PS, and definitely if it is in the blues or something, I would try to get another test at +3 or 4.

I will check back before bedtime to see if you have any news. Always know too that you can post on Health if needed. It can be slow in this forum, and if you have anything you are unsure of, there is almost always someone on Health. Definitely post there if you get a blue # at +2, as that is probably a sign the dose was too high. Don't mean to scare you, I hope it will be just fine, but I want you to know what to do just in case.

76. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

Ok I went with 2 because I was like omg it might be to much. Ha Im crazy but I want him alive. And Ill be home by 2ish tomorrow so Ill at least be able to get the +6

77. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

The +6 is for after his morning shot. Ok Ill be back when I do his plus 2 around 12est. Time for homework. :YMSIGH:

78. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Oh good, I started feeling all nailbite_smile too about the 2.5 and was thinking it was too late to take it back. ohmygod_smile Good on ya'! Of course now 2u will probably be too little insulin, but better safe than sorry. You need some data, and also to make the food change now that you can test and make sure it's safe to reduce the carbs.

79. judy and squamee(GA)

So glad to hear you were successfully able to test! Congrats! And you are discussing doses with Lori and Joanna like an old pro. :D

80. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

Yay did great getting the prick on his ear, now he just has to now shake his head! It read 483 at +2. I think some his last shot may have been a fur shot though he was trying to go all over the place. He hates sitting still for me!

81. Joanna & Bix (GA)

ok, it's high but that's ok for a +2, the new shot may not have kicked in yet. I'm not too worried about the dose being too high, but if you do have a chance to get another spot check in it's always nice to have data - I wouldn't stress about it though. You're on a lower dose than you have been on so far, and so far he has done ok. If you have any worries, be sure to head over to Health if no one is around here. I'm signing off.... Great job on getting through your first day of testing, you are a pro already! I think it took me a month to get more than one test every few days, I was so squeemish & chicken about it.

82. Joanna & Bix (GA)

by the way I think there was mention of putting something behind the ear? I always folded up a kleenex to a little square and used that. Never pricked my finger, and then it gave me something to hold the spot with afterwards to prevent bruising.

I also found a strategic distraction helped with the sitting still until it became routine. For Bix, he loved the little plastic bag the lancets came in with the meter - once he saw that, it was love at first sight! So he would just sit and chew on that and barely noticed the testing. Some people put out a little treat for them to munch on (? I think I saw that somewhere), or whatever you can think of that your kitty will hone in on.

83. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

Im still not done with my homework. Maybe Ill go part time again grr anyways, If Im still up and hes not hating me I may try for another one. Ill be in bed in about an hour. If my works not done by then its late so I wont be staying up to finish it if i dont get it in. If Im up, Ill test again.

Thanks! Amy

84. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

so you think it's a possible fur shot? bummer. if you ever think that again rub your finger over the spot and smell, it should have a distinct odor even if you can't see the wet. but with 2 or 3 u i imagine you would see the wet on his fur.
    see you in the morning?
    i'll be on board for another 20 minutes or so...catching up with everyone :D

85. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

I know it was wet, but im not sure how much I missed bc he did get up and try to move. Im gonna head to bed before im asleep at the kitchen table. Thanks for checking back in :) talk to you in the morning.

86. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

87. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

Ok I tried to update from my phone a few times but it didnt work and i am finally with my computer. Carl wouldnt let me test this morning so I gave him 2u. This afternoon I tried with no luck and finally at +11 I got a reading. 360. and an hour later I gave him 2u. Ill test in a bit and go from there with another test in the morning.

88. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

are you remembering to praise him and give him a treat or kisses and stuff even when it a failed attempt?
    he must never know it failed...it's our little secret.
    have you switched foods...

89. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

do you need a walk thru to make sure your not doing anything wrong to get blood...you are in the VAMPIRE CLUB now...you must have blood!

90. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Great job! It takes a while to get the hang of testing, but as you discover what works best and get into a routine with it, it will get easier.

btw I would suggest starting a new thread tomorrow - we seem to have pretty good success with a new thread each day, it helps get more attention when they aren't too long...

91. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

I am still treating him the same either way, he likes to shake is head, then I do look like a Vampire, blood on my face and or neck. And I dont want to keep trying a million times. This evening I tried twice, first time shake shake right in my face the second time I pricker got blood tested, in like 10 seconds, I just moved so fast and got it and then loved him and took out in the sun for a few minutes and He got a visit from the neighbor girl so then he was all happy. Hopefully tomorrow Im not feeling so sick and Ill be able to try more and get farther. I havent switched foods, that was the plan until the husband came home with the old stuff and not the new stuff so now itll be a little more than a week since I had no choice but to feed him the Friskies Shreds. Maybe that will be good though and if his numbers stay like they are then the switch will fix it nicely. My husband is mad Im only shooting 2u. He wants me to shoot the 3u like I was if Im refusing to go to 4u. I tried explaining it to him, but hes like well if it was still to high then you should at least do a 3. Stubborn.

92. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hey Amy, as long as you are testing...and if you can test the pre shot numbers..and you are gonna be on dry for another week or so. if you see those high's than go ahead with the 3u. keep peace in the household ya know. of course if you see low numbers pre-shot than of course you won't want to stick 3 units in him.
    hope your feeling better.
    Lori
    and Lord Thomas

93. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

I dont know why he is having such a fuss about it, he wont even help me out with it. Im about to try for his GB before I head to bed. If I can get it ill post up and if not tomorrow Ill start a new thread. His food right now is wet food. Friskies flakes (not shreds, i get those confused). After this Im going back to the patte.
    :smile:

94. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ni ni....i'll look for ya tomorow

95. RyanAmy02

RyanAmy02 Member

Got a bg first try! YEAH! Started a new thread for tomorrow, his reading was 345@ +2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.