Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragonkitty03

dragonkitty03 Member

Hello everyone.

I'm new to this forum and I'm glad that I found it... My cat Belle was just diagnosed with diabetes :cry: ... I started her on her shots Friday night and she gets them 2x a day 1 unit... I'm so upset and depressed... I dont want her to die... She is 14 years old... she has to go back in 7 days to make sure ProZinc is working.... not sure if I'm doing it right... How do I know if she got the shot?? any tips would be great.... I have to give her a shot tonight at 9pm...

I'm so worried because this morning I fed her and then gave her her shot and then 30 minutes later she got sick and all her food came back up.. then she got sick again with white stuff.. I made some tuna and i gave her a little tuna and tuna water... what should I do... Can anyone tell me if she will be okay? Will she die?? I'm so upset and scared.... I'm scared to leave my house and when she is sleeping I'm scared they she died or went into a coma. Please HELP!!! She loves her Fancy fest does anyone know what flavors I can give her?? I'm so scared and its like i can't even eat because I'm so worried about her.... I feel like I'm alone in this.... I need support and i hope you guys can give it to me... I can't cry anymore. thanks

2. Lug

Lug Member

Hi DragonKitty!

Our cats love FF Salmon and Shrimp Feast Classic, Tender Beef Feast Classic and Tuna Feast Flaked, all low carb. Pretty cheap at Walmart.
    Heres the complete list, look for carbs under 10%: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodOld.html.
    If you are not feeding low carb now then as you make the switch to low carb you MUST reduce the insulin dose...

Home testing is the answer and the only way to correctly dose. Despite your (and all of our initial) fears it is actually VERY easy. A quick prick on the back of the outer edge of the ear, gently massage it if needed, and a tiny drop of blood will appear. Belle will hardly notice it, promise.

This is pretty close to how we give the injections:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1xMwGwEnKc&feature=related

You can get a Relion tester ($9), 20 test strips ($9), and some 30 gauge lances ($6) at Walmart to get you started. Go get them now.
    A month of going to the vet once a week did not get us on the right road like a SINGLE DAY of home testing did.

3. Lana & Yoyo

Lana & Yoyo Member

Belle is going to be just fine. We will help you to get her there.

First off, the Fancy Feast "Classic" varieties are the lowest in carbohydrates and they are the best to feed Belle. See Janet & Binky's food lists at http://binkyspage.tripod.com/canfood.html and read both the "Old" and "New" lists. Choose foods below 10% carb. Feed mostly 7% and below with maybe an occasional 8% to 10% once in a while.

The next thing you will need to do is home testing. A human meter will work just fine. Walmart's Relion Micro is good and it is cheap. Blood test strips are about $20 for 50. Once you get your meter, we will tell you how to do home testing and how to set up a spreadsheet so we can see your results.

Lana

4. jennifer & korbel (GA)

jennifer & korbel (GA) Member

Hi Dragonkitty
    I'll leave all the technical stuff to others but I just wanted to let you know that cats can live very long lives with Diabetes. My Korbel lived 11 great years after diagnosis.
    I know you are scared now, but you'll figure it all out and before you know it you'll look back on this wondering what you were so stressed about.

5. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Dragon Kitty,

First take a deep breath and relax.....you are in the right spot....and there is alot to learn, but we have all been in your shoes and know how afraid you are. It will be OK.

Home testing will allow you to monitor Belle's blood sugar at home....it will also give you a lot of peace of mind....you will be in control. Also, home testing will save you money.....blood sugar curves or tests done at a vets office can be expensive and the results may not be accurate, because the stress of going to the vets office can raise kitties blood sugar alot!

So keep asking questions.....lots and lots of really knowledgeable people here. Everything will get easier, really it will.

Here is a good read.....I still read it once in a while, to remind myself to breathe.....

letter from your sugar kitty

6. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest dragonkitty, and, of course, you too, sweet Belle,

I know both your angst and your worry. When Giz was diagnosed (shortly after her 14th Birthday), I used to shake putting the key into the door after work. I used to drop down on my knees with gratitude when I saw her making her way to greet me.

It got better for us both. We eventually learned to dance! And, dance we did for four years!!!! Diabetes didn't take her. Being like 90, Giz simply decided her work here was done. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss dancing with Gizzie. She taught me to be a better person. She taught me to be brave. And, in her infinite wisdom and sense of irony, she sent Nikki to rescue me and my heart.

Nikki is quirky; but, does eat cat food. Giz didn't. Thus, the irony...

Okay, enough mushiness...

When Giz was diagnosed, her vet asked me, "Why all the tears? Can you give her two shots a day?" Immediately responded, "YES!!!" totally forgetting being a life-long needle phobic... Fortunately, insulin syringes are small...

I'm going to be really candid with you, dragonkitty. I honestly never knew if I actually got insulin into Giz the first couple of days. I was shaking and gagging... But, I do remember the night I shot her and took the used syringe into the kitchen. I remember staring at a hot pad. I remember picking it up and being amazed at how much it bore a resemblance to Giz's scruff when folded. I started shooting the hell out of that folded hot pad! Took me a couple of weeks to realize I had developed a smooth and swift insulin delivery to Giz.

I remember that morning. I remember Giz being better. I remember smiling.

I was a complete train wreck when Giz was diagnosed. Yet, I wouldn't have missed a day dancing with her. Or, with Nikki!

It'll get better. You'll see. There is nothing like dancing with a sugar cat! There is nothing like their love when they start to feel better. You'll see. Just breathe for now. And, when you wake up some morning with Belle purring beside you and you find yourself smiling? You'll know that there is nothing like dancing with a sugar cat! And, you'll smile and laugh. I can't wait for that moment!

Welcome to the place you never, ever wanted to be; but, will be blessed for having found!

Love and countless encouraging hugs for you and Belle,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, who taught me to be brave...

7. dragonkitty03

dragonkitty03 Member

Thank you everyone!!!!!

yeah I'm so scared still and I'm on a low budget. My dad and his GF are helping me... Thanks for the link for showing me how to give the shot... thats what I do not sure if she is getting the dose. so how would I know? I will have to ask if they want me to test her sugar. My dad's Cat had the same thing and they didnt need to test her blood sugar.... Good news is that she is drinking less water... Should I get worried if she gets sick after she eats and I give her the shot? its so heartbreaking.. Thanks for the link for the Fancy fest cat food she LOVES that stuff... She also likes dry and I can't take that way from her so I just give her a little bit then give her the shot. you guys are SO helpful! She hasn't had a low or anything she sleeps a lot but I guess that's because of her age. should I worry about that? how long will it take to see a difference in her? Why am I so scared??? why do I think she will die?? Thank god for my dad and his GF or I would be screwed. The only thing is that I will need more insulin in a few weeks.. the bottle at 2 units a day will make it 20 days!! maybe I can ask the vet if i can try 1 unit a day instead of 1 unit twice a day... so now that I know how to give the shot how will I know if she got her dose? I do give her a few cat yums to let her know she is a good girl.... so scared to leave the house.. should I be? I'm always checking on her too.... you guys are SO kind thanks! It VERY new for me... So if she get pukes her food up should I worry?? I'm so depressed... how long will this last? I feed her wet in the AM and PM then a little dry before her shot and a few yums here and there... As I type Belle came into the living room.. now she is laying down again... Is this okay?? the vet told me what she is getting is a very low dose and not to worry.... she is my baby so I still worry *sigh* how will I know its working for her?? so i can try to get my mind at ease.. Sorry for the long post but this is very hard for me. So maybe the first vet visit will be good and then I can go back in a month or so... the med is so pricy at the vets but I know BigY does pet meds now so maybe it will be cheaper? Thanks! Melissa and Belle

8. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Hi Melissa,
    You do not need the vet's or your dad's permission or input to home test Belle's blood glucose. You need to test her glucose, it's not an option for proper diabetes management, no matter what the vet or your dad tells you. People test their glucose and manage diabetes very well because of testing. You can do the same for Belle. It will help you feel more in control and less afraid. When things happen like puking up food, you test her glucose and you will know if she's OK!

We have a very wonderful lady here, Lori, who sends out test kits to members for a small fee if you can afford it, $5 I think to cover shipping. The only thing you need to be aware of is that the test strips are the main expense to testing. One of the best and least expensive meters is Wal-Mart's Reli-on brand, which I think someone mentioned. Here is the announcement link for kits http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=19541&p=193947&view=show#p193947

Insulin needs to be given twice daily as close to 12 hours apart as possible for cats. Once a day is not enough. Do you know what size the bottle of insulin is in milliliters? Typically a bottle is 10ml, which translates in to 1000 Units of insulin, 1ml = 100U. I believe a bottle of PZI is good for 3 months once opened, however. You probably have a lot more insulin than you realize.

If you are tenting the skin and pushing the needle in to the skin, you are doing it right. You can check if the fur is wet afterwards or smell it. Usually insulin has a very strong, noticeable smell. Squirt some out of a syringe and smell it so you recognize it.

Again, you will be less afraid if you begin home testing.

I think a lot of us felt like you do in the beginning. We worried about every little thing - are they eating too much, not enough, why are they drinking so much water, what food should I feed, is the insulin working, what do I do if X,Y, Z happens????

I will simply repeat again that home testing will alleviate much of your fears. Every success story you will read about here needed home testing to get there. Home testing is vital.

9. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Yes, you must home test. Think of it this way. If you were the one with the diabetes, you would be testing yourself before each injection. I have a cousin who was just diagnosed about a month ago.

I use the Relion Micro from wal-mart. The lancet gague I use is 28. The meter comes with 30 or 31, but I get better results with the 28 (I buy these at target instead, I like theirs better). granted, I still have trouble with the testing, so I use the heating pad from one of his toys to warm his ear up. Sometimses it takes 10 pokes, sometimes (like yesterday) it just takes one...I sit his treat containers out in front of him to make him happy. It doesn't hurt, it just annoys him.

I can't really help you with the insulin you are using, as we used a different one. It will be ok - she can make it, with your help!!!

10. Your vial should be 10ml of insulin. At one unit, twice a day, it should last for months. I am assuming the vet gave you "U40" type syringes which are used for Prozinc? When you pull up the insulin into the syringe, you are only pulling it up to the very first "1", correct? If so, the insulin will last you plenty long enough. Do your syringes also have 1/2 unit markings on them? The insulin vial or the box it came in should say U40 on it. That number is the concentration of insulin in the fluid, not the number of units in the bottle.
    Insulin should not make kitty puke. It is not a drug (but rather a hormone) and the only side effect is that it lowers blood glucose (which is exactly what you want and need it to do). Assuming you are giving her only 1 unit, if she is not keeping food down, it would be due to something else going on with her tummy.

As someone already said, you have to give Prozinc twice a day, about 12 hours between doses. Otherwise it will not have the effect of keeping her BG under control all day and night.
    The very best thing you can do at this point is to read the "newbie kits" thread towards the top of the index page, and contact Lori to get her to send one your way as soon as possible. That will make this easier for you, and will be the safest thing for Belle. It will remove a great deal of the anxiety you are feeling right now, and make "you" the person who is control of treating your precious sugarkitty.

Carl in SC

11. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

dear belle,

your mom is in overdrive. she needs to calm down. the only way this can be accomplished is you. the pressure sucks, i know. it totally interferes with napping.

just do something you used to do before you were declared extra sweet and this should calm down your mommy. play with a toy, smile, or chase a bug. bug chasing is really good at calming down mommies who are nuts with worry. i have a fondness for moths. they zig and zag! flies are just too predictable in their flight plan...

i was lucky that my mom was already trained before i got here. she was reasonably calm. i did have to train her regarding my middle of the night feedings because i hate eating alone. she's good when she responds to my head butts. she comes downstairs and feeds me and pats my buns. i like it when she pats my buns. i like company when i eat. she totally required training regarding middle-of-the-night feedings. it's taken extensive training...

you can do it, belle. you can calm your mommy down. trust me!

head butts and paw pats,
    your friend nikki

12. dragonkitty03

dragonkitty03 Member

Deb and Nikki,

Thanks so much!! I’m so sorry to hear about your loss.. I’m sure Gez was a great cat!! Belle is 14 years old too! I’m so worried I wont be able to pay for the meds. That is another thing Im worried about. This morning Belle was laying on me and purring…. I was happy about that!!! Just a little while ago I gave her some tuna and just a few minutes ago I gave her some cat treats. Its so hard… I hope she lives for a while… yeah I don’t know if I give her the shots and not sure if she is getting it… I don’t want to hurt her you know? If I poke her… will she feel it??

Vicky and Gandalf

Your so kind… thanks for the link…. She seems pretty good right now… she is sleeping at the moment but I did give her a few treats and she is happy and purring I will feed her in like 60 minutes and see how she does. I know I’m scared out of my mind.. The size bottle I have is I have 10ML so I’m good for a few months?? I give her 1 unit twice a day.. So how long will that last? So how will I know if she is getting her meds? Thanks for all your help!

doom buggy,
    I’ll have to save up money for that… I’m sorry to hear about your cousin.

That would be my one fear, that it would hurt him… so what would be a normal blood sugar? Or to high or to low?? Cause the vet says to make sure she eats before her shot. I will talk to him about it when I go back in 7 days so I don’t have to keep going back… I give her treats too when I give her a shot.. Thanks! I hope she will make it… I know I can do this now When I give her one unit is it the first line like if I count it? Hope I’m not giving her to much!

Carlinsc,
    Yes she is on Prozinc and the needles are U40 I think not sure. Well it doesn’t have a one there lines and then it says 5 I got them at the vet and I have to buy more, but the needs are small and there lines and no ½ units. So who knows.. Not sure but I hope I’m doing it right. Yes its U40 it has a line on top and when I pull it down to the second line that would be one unit right?

Oh okay so it would be like she is eating her food to fast or something like that? Or like she had a hair ball or something.? Well she doesn’t get sugar lows so that is good and the vet said 1 unit is a low dose. Oh yeah I do.. 9 am and 9 pm thank you so much! I will do that =) she is sleeping right now, she looks so cute!! So I will try to relax this weekend since I can’t do anything right now, because of the holiday but I will try to make sure she gets the shot… Do they feel it when you give it to them?? Do you think belle will get better and have it reverse its self where she doesn’t need any shots?? I thought the bottle would be gone in like 20 days! I thought it was like only 40 units in the bottle.
    Thanks! Melissa and Belle

13. OK, I understand your syringes now. With the plunger all the way depressed, that's the "zero" line. Then you probably have only 5, 10, 15, and 20 as numbers that are actually listed on the syringe? Yes, if you stick it in the vial, and begin to draw the insulin in, the very next line you reach would be the "1 unit" line. So it sounds like you are doing it right! If she is always on that dose, then yes the vial will last for months. My first vial expired before I used it all up.
    It could be she's eating too fast, or a hairball. If it only happened that one time, it should be okay. However, if she keeps throwing up, that would indicate a more serious problem, and you would definitely want to call the vet asap and let them know what is going on. The important thing is that she eat and keep food down. The food and the insulin work hand in hand. Food pushes her BG up, insulin pushes it down. No food, and the insulin will have a greater effect. No insulin and her BG will go up too high. That is why we test BG, then feed, then dose with insuslin. Testing determines it is safe to give insulin or will tell you (once you have been doing this for a while) if she might need more or less insulin. Feeding insures that her BG will rise some, which makes it safer to give insulin and not have her BG go too low too quickly. It sounds more complicated than it is, and one of the reasons we refer to this as "dancing" is because you have to learn the steps to do it successfully.
    Carl (and Bob) in SC

14. Melissa,
    A couple of other things,
    Yes, your vet is correct, 1u is a small dose. It is the dose most kitties are precribed when no other complications are found at the time they are diagnosed. One thing that is said around here a lot is "ECID" which is Every Cat is Different. Belle and my boy Bob both started at 1u twice a day. But how the insulin works on Belle would not necessarily be how it worked on Bob. He ended up going as high as 4u twice a day before he made a big improvement. Other kitties, the 1u was too high and they ended up needing less per shot. But 1u is a great starting point for just about every kitty.
    If they feel it, they just barely feel it. The needle looks scarier than it is. A few people here have accidently stuck themselves with the needle, and I am one of them. It didn't hurt, and it went much further in my finger than it ever went into Bob's scruff. Some people shoot their cats while they are eating, and the cats never even flinch or look up. I think people associate needles with vaccines they got as kids, and so they think "It has got to hurt kitty!". I really don't think it does. Bob never acted like it hurt.
    There is no reason not to believe that. BUT, the best chance of that happening depends on several things - feeding Belle food that is good for her and works for a diabetic cat. Low carb canned foods.
    AND regular doses of insulin, every day, twice a day, for as long as needed.
    AND, most importantly, regular home testing of BG levels - once before EVERY shot, and ideally at least 2 or 3 more times a day in between shots. The only real way to know how she is reacting to insulin is to check it yourself every day. The mid-cycle tests will show you how low her BG goes between shots. That's the only safe way to determine that the amount you shoot is either enough, not enough, or too much. Vet tests will not tell you that, and you can't go a week or two between vet tests without knowing how she's doing. Every cat will not go into remission. But if you follow the protocals on this message board, the chances that Belle can be one of the kitties who eventually goes "off the juice" will be dramatically increased. Even if Belle does not, by testing and treating her at home, you can still allow her to lead a happy and long life. Diabetes is not a death sentence for cats, just as it isn't for people. It's just a medical condition that can be managed pretty easily.
    Carl in SC

15. dragonkitty03

dragonkitty03 Member

Nikki,

Thank you so much… I will do that!! I was calling mommy to show her I was bringing her a toy… that made mommy happy…. I will do more things to make it easier on her so she wont be so scared…. I know mommy is very scared and very sad… I will be okay… I will get better and show, her… it will just take some time….

I eat in the AM and evening and PM… so mommy can give me my shot and make me feel better…

Your friend, Belle,

Carlinse,
    Oh okay thanks goodness I’m doing that part right… I thought I would go through it like 20 days! I was SO worried about that… how do I tell if my kitty is going to have a low sugar? If she does what do I do?? Give her some yums or honey or something?? Ths is before I can get to the store and get the meter. I don’t drive so I need to get a ride sometime this week.

Well that’s good.. Yeah she is always getting sick when she eats to fast and when she has hair balls a lot of them!! I always make sure she is okay once she does that… don’t want her to get sicker… thanks for your help!!! So she likes Fancy fest and I can give her most of them?? I went on the link that someone gave me and I didn’t understand it with the list of fancy fest.. She likes them all so I don’t have to worry about that..
    Melissa in CT

16. Melissa -
    One more thing and then I'll leave you alone for a while :lol:
    Please click on this link:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33671

Read it. Then print it out. Then stick it on the fridge with the fridge-art. And every week, read it again. Every time you feel frustrated, overwhelmed, lost, confused, or just tired of the whole mess, read it again.
    I've read it dozens of times. It always helps me.

Deep breathes...
    Carl
    edit - for some reason, I'm having trouble putting links in lately. They show up as links when I "preview", but not when I "submit"..... ???

17. Melissa
    Low sugar to the point of a crisis is called a "hypo" and there is a thread in the top part of the index page that explains what they are and how to treat them. If that ever happens, post here as soon as possible, and we can talk/walk you through it. It doesn't happen here often, but does happen. Karo syrup or honey are good things to have handy, but the thread will tell you everything you should want to have ready for any emergency

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15887

Carl

18. If you look at the "Canned Food Chart - old) that is where you will find most of the Fancy Feast cans.
    You want to stick with the "Classics" varities, as they are the lowest in carbs. Most of them are 6% or lower. Try to stay away from any food that is higher than 10% on the charts.
    The link below Bob's info in my sig will take you to the nutrition information page.

Carl

19. dragonkitty03

dragonkitty03 Member

Carlinsc,
    Oh wow really? I thought that you would a lot of insulin… so its not a big deal?? Wow is 4u a lot?? Yeah its 1u twice a day 2u in total.. So I think she is doing well on it so far…. If she is begging for more food can I give it to her?? I’m trying to get her to lose weight to… she isn’t drinking as much so the meds much be working right??

I just don’t want to hurt her that’s all and I don’t want to stick the needle in to deep.. I just need to stick the tip in? right?? I don’t need to stick the whole thing in?? oh when I stuck myself it hurt me… I’m a wimp….

Oh thank god.. In my head I thought it would kill her…. I hope she is one of the kitties like everyone else on here that they get well and don’t need their shots… I think she is doing pretty good so far so maybe one unit is good for her? So I guess I do get her on and then if the drinking went way down and she doesn’t use the cat box as much anymore… Is that a good thing??

So she is begging for food is it okay to give her a little bit more??? She is going to get some soon anyways before she gets her nightly shot… Is it common for cats to go into a low sugar?? My dad’s cat never did and he got only 1 unit for 3 years and they never checked his blood… I have a feeling belle will be okay… Its so scary taking her to the vet I hope its good news when I go back.. If they say its high I will tell them maybe because she is stressed. Then they said I will have to take her back in 6 mons for all the test again to see if she is better or still has it.. Maybe she will be cured. All I can do is do my best… I just hope she doesn’t die… I worry because she is 14,

Thanks! When I’m on my desk top I will print it out… do you still cry and don’t want to go anywhere?? I’m at the point and I don’t want to eat but I did today and I’m so worried I will wake up and she will be dead =(

Thanks so anything 10% or more is bad and keep it low.. Would it be on the back of the can?? I tried to read it and it didn’t say anything about carbs… just like the cat treats I don’t see anything about carbs either… thanks for all your help!
    Melissa

20. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

In the early days of treatment, your kitty is literally starving -- feed her extra.

When the "right" insulin dose is found for your kitty, her appetite with go back to normal because her body can get all the energy from the food.

With inadequate insulin, the blood sugar (food energy) just gets peed out -- so hungry kitty can eat-eat-eat and just pees out the goodness.

21. Melissa,
    Here's some good news. Once you start to home test, you'll never again have to bring her back to the vet to have her BG tested. What I did was fax my test numbers to the vet every 10 days or so, and if any adjustments needed to be made or any other advice needed to be given to me, my vet would call me on the phone and just tell me what I should do. No more vet trips, no more vet bills! Of course, there might be other reasons to bring her for a visit, but testing her blood sugar won't be one of them.
    Her using the box less often, and drinking less, and eating well. Those are all really good signs that the inuslin and the diet are working.
    Have you watched the youtube videos about how to shoot insulin, or did your vet show you how? As long as you tent the skin, and poke in the right spot, you don't have to worry about how far the needle goes. The needle should only be about 1/2 long or so? Sometimes, if you stick just the very tip in, and she happens to move just as you are squeezing the plunger, you might have what we call a "fur shot", where not all the inuslin gets in. Feel where you shot her and if it is wet, that means some of it might have missed the target. In that case DO NOT shoot more to try to make up the difference. You'll just have to let it go until the next time she gets a shot. As long as you are holding the needle parallel to her body when you stick it in, you don't have to worry about it going too deep and it won't hurt her either.
    Carl

22. Sweetie, please don't feel this way! You still need to take care of "you" too. Don't feel like you can't leave the house, and please eat! I promise you, once you start to test her at home, you are going to "know" how she is going to react to a shot of insulin. You won't have to worry about waking up and finding her dead. You will feel so much more in control of her situation, because just knowing what her sugar level is every day and knowing how much the insulin will help her is empowering.

Do I still cry? Well, it didn't make me feel like crying so much as make me feel like I was overwhelmed and didn't know what to do or how to do it. I felt more angry (at myself) than sad. I did cry a couple times though, but let me tell you about the last time I cried about this. Bob started on insulin in Mid-May. He got his last shot on July 19th, and has not needed one since then. He's one of the "remission" kitties. Every day for two months, my routine revolved around Bob and his tests and his shots. I was fine with that, but his diabetes became the thing I adjusted the rest of my world around. Every morning, no matter what time I went to bed or how late I worked the night before, I set my alarm for 6 and got up and tested and fed and shot. Even after his last dose in July, I still kept testing him to make sure he was still "normal" in terms of BG levels. Well, one day a couple of weeks after July 19th, I decided for the first time to NOT test him, figured I'd give us a break. So I didn't set my alarm, and when I did get up, I went in the kitchen, and Bob did the same thing he'd been doing for weeks - he came over, laid down in front of my feet, and waited for his test and treat. So just like every other day, I sat down with him. Then I looked at him looking at me like "OK dad, I'm ready for the poke and shrimp!" And I started crying for whatever reasons, and I picked him up and hugged him and looked at him and said (out loud), "What the hell am I supposed to do now Bob? We don't need to do this anymore!" He didn't care one bit, just "okay whatever, where's my shrimp?"
    So I gave him two shrimp. After that, no more tears.
    It won't be on the can. but it is listed on the canned food charts, so just print those out and bring them to the store with you. What you can do when you get home is write down the number on the side of the can with a marker so you'll always know what you are feeding carbs-wise each day. The calories per can info is also on the charts. I write that on the cans so I can keep track and make sure I am feeding enough per day

Carl and Bob is SC

23. dragonkitty03

dragonkitty03 Member

Phoebe,
    Thanks! I will give her a little more food if she begs for it!! Yeah she is always begging so I hope it slows down soon!!

Okay so she will pee more and stuff,?

Carlinsc,
    I just gave Belle her shot and I heard the liquid come out of the needle and I checked to see if her fur was wet and it wasn’t as I couldn’t feel wetness but then I smelt her fur and it smelled like the insulin. Does it mean I got her?? Would I hear the squirt I was right close to it… I would love to be able to home test her so I don’t have to bring her back all the time… I don’t have that kind of money…. Thanks for the tip I will talk to him about that when I bring her in soon.. REALLY??? Yeah she hardly uses the box and drinks less, more today because I gave her tuna water. Shes always eaten well and likes her food.. And lots of it…

Yes I did watch the video and that’s how I do it… not sure if I get her all the time but I’m still new at it so I can work on it right? So when I did it I heard the insulin come out of the needle. Is this normal? But her fur wasn’t wet or anything.. I didn’t feel anything but I did smell it though. Do you think she got the dose?? I hope so… yeah that’s what the vet told me, she wouldn’t even feel it… so let me know if you think I got her cause of the sound I heard and the smell what no wet fur…

Melissa

24. I never got close enough to "hear" the shot. I never remember smelling the inuslin either. But if her fur was dry, I would say you got the shot under the skin. If you smell the insulin, that could be leftover from a previous shot that missed, maybe. Would be dry but might still have left an odor? Does she have long hair? Bob was easy, he's a short-hair. I always could see that the needle was "in", plus it felt like it had gone in far enough. You will get better and it will get easier every day that you do this.

Carl

25. dragonkitty03

dragonkitty03 Member

Carl,
    Oh thank god because before I called my vet and ask if the insulin will kill her and he told me no… her dose is low and not to worry… I still worry and cry and being scared…. I did eat a little today, belle ate and had some tuna and tuna water…. I do worry she is my little girl…

Awe how sweet!!! How long was he on insulin? Maybe my kitty will be lucky and not need it anymore… maybe if she loses some weight and I feed her the low carb foods.. .. I cry all the time because I don’t want to lose her and I feel like I did something wrong and I got her sick because I let her get fat so its my fault…. Belle was drinking from the water bowel about 4 times today… is that bad? I gave her shot today and like I said I hear a squirt sound but her fur wasn’t wet, that I could feel and when I went to smell it smelled like the insulin… did I get her? Is that noise I heard normal? I was close to her so I don’t know… I know belle knows because she lays on the floor next to me.. Then I give her a few treats…

She is pretty hungry today.. Is that okay?? I mean she always liked her food and people food but she hasn’t drank a lot and used the box that much so I guess I’m doing something right, I hope….

Oh okay I looked and didn’t see it, I will go by that list and grab some of the cans… she loves her fancy fest and that is good to know… I do give her dry because I can’t t take that away from her but its only 1/3 cup and that’s it… its all grains, fruits, and veggies and she seems to be
    melissa

26. dragonkitty03

dragonkitty03 Member

Carl,
    She is short hair but very fluffy.. How can you tell if its inn… what is this feeling? I’m to scared to notice… yeah it was dry but smelled… I guess I must be doing it or I will get the hang of it… she is very fluffy so its hard to tell… yeah it could have been from this morning, so I will try it again tomorrow morning… yeah I sit on the floor with her so she doesn’t jump down or anything…. Thanks! I hope I get better at it.

melissa

27. Okay, don't feel that way, and don't blame yourself. Bob was a big fat kitty too, but he wasn't fed any differently than any of the other couple dozen cats we've had. I also felt like it was "my" fault, but feeling that way is not going to change anything. What's in the past can stay there.
    I believe it was a terrific lady here named "Deb" who taught me this (she posted in this thread earlier)- "life is lived in 12 hour segments". From today forward, you can live such a tremendous amount in each 12 hour period - that's the time between shots by the way - and you'll appreciate each day even more than in the past with each day that you get to share with Belle. This whole diabetes dance is going to make the bond you share even stronger. So no, it isn't "your fault". It's just life, it what's happened. So you and Belle move on from here.

Carl

28. dragonkitty03

dragonkitty03 Member

Carl,
    Thanks!! Well to try to make us feel better I gave her some catnip and she came runing!! LOL pretty fast for an old lady… she is now laying it rubbing around eating it and now she is laying in it rubbing her head on it… its so cute!!! So this means she is feeling better?? She is a sweet cat! She is like passed out on the catnip but not passed out.. She is like relaxed with her eyes closed and her tail is wagging is this all a good sign? Its like she is stoned or something LOL :lol:
    Melissa

29. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

sounds like she is a happy cat -- she should recover well with some insulin and with the diet change, maybe you'll get lucky and have her become Diet Controlled after her pancreas has some time to heal.

30. dragonkitty03

dragonkitty03 Member

thanks!! I sure hope so... i heard the insulin coming out of the needle but her fur wasn't wet but smelled.. does that mean I did it right? I had to give her some treats because she was begging.. but she seems happy this evening... how fast can it heal?? a month or two or three? i sure hope so... Maybe it was her diet that did her inn and now that its changed maybe she will get better sooner?
    melissa

31. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Sometimes there can be a little insulin on the needle before you stick them and it could make their fur smell.

32. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

We have a saying "Every cat is different"

Some cats become diet controlled or OTJ (off the juice) and some never will.

I adopted Tiggy in 2009 - he had been diabetic for 5 years already when his mom had to give him up. I changed him to low carb canned food and Levemir insulin instead of PZI. He is down from 5 units once per day and eating Science Diet Hairball Control dry food to now getting 0.5u twice per day and eating Merrick's BG canned foods. He is well regulated and spends most of the 24 hours per day below 200 blood sugar. But if we skip a shot or try to reduce -- he goes over 200 and even up to 300. So he will need a little insulin forever probably.

You must have excellent ears to hear the tiny amount of insulin squirt in.

33. dragonkitty03

dragonkitty03 Member

Vicky & Gandalf

Thanks! I gave her a shot this morning and I heard the insulin shoot out but her fur wasn’t wet and I smelt it and it smells like the insulin. Thanks for the info though…

Phoebe_Tiggy_NortonGA

I hope it happens to my kitty… That would be GREAT!! It happened to a cat I knew.. It was my dad’s GFS cat he was on it for 3 years and then all of a sudden he didn’t have it anymore…

Sounds like Tiggy is doing very well… yeah I do low carb and give her dry food to… Belle is taking 1unit twice a day… I think she is feeling better…. I hope that she isn’t on it forever… She is 14 so I think she will do okay… I also give her treats here and there… I’m just so worried I’m going to lose her because of all the websites saying they have to put animals down if insulin doesn’t work…. If it doesn’t work for belle do you think there are any at home things I can do??

Thanks. Yeah I’m so close to her when I do it to make sure I get it in. If she wasn’t getting the shot her fur would be wet right? Cause when I press it in it goes inn pretty fast, no fur is wet but I do smell the insulin… so I guess I must be doing it right,?

34. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

You'll know for sure if it is working when you start testing blood sugar at home.

Insulin does work for most diabetic cats. There are several different insulins that can be tried if the first one doesn't work.

Also, there are some conditions that cause "resistance" and we do have experience with them here -- if it looks like your kitty might be resistant there are some tests that we can recommend to confirm. And if that is the case, we have people that have dealt with the same issues and can help. The majority of vets have never seen some of these conditions, but in this international forum, we have a collective knowledge and experience that can help you and your vet.

My first diabetic cat, Norton, had a condition called Acromegaly. He needed 13 units BID at one point -- yes, 26 units per day. When I changed his diet to low carb canned food, we were able to reduce to 15 units per day. He was the first cat that my vet had with the condition, so we were both learning. (lost him to cancer in 2008)

35. dragonkitty03

dragonkitty03 Member

Oh good… so it doesn’t hurt when I poke there ear?? Would they feel anything? She is a tricky kitty….

Well that’s good… I think its working because she isn’t drinking as much and I know that because she doesn’t use the cat box as much and the cat box isn’t full like it always is, I have two cats so that’s really good… She was SO hungry today so I gave her a little more food this morning, after her shot, and she seems okay I think…. She is in my bedroom and I always check on her like every 5 minutes… I’m so scared to leave the house because I don’t want anything bad to happen to her…. She has been on insulin since Friday night, so if something was going to go wrong would it show now??

Wow that is a lot units .. Yeah I hear diet is the key…. I’m sorry for your loss =(.. Thanks.. My vet is pretty good, so I hope this 1 unit twice a day is enough for her.. She seems to e doing well on it… what is a normal sugar for a cat?? They told me her sugar was very high, so how long do you think it would take to lower it to normal? Right way? Or when I have to take her back in a few days and if its lower then it was, that means the insulin is working?

This is so nerve racking… I’m so upset by this I’m sick to my stomach… Its hard and it hurts… I worry that I will find her died and I don’t want that… today is Labor Day so I will take this day to try to relax and get some reading in. to try to keep my mind of this for a while.. I haven’t smiled since I found out that she was sick….

So all the things that I notice about Belle is good right? I mean she as always been a good eater. But using the cat box less, and not drinking as much and not really begging for food.. I mean she does because she likes people food but its not as bad… so maybe the insulin is working.. I sure hope so..

36. Jennifer and Katie

Jennifer and Katie Member

Hello, Dragonkitty! My Katie was diagnosed with diabetes a month ago. She is also on prozinc, so even though I am still learning, feel free to ask me questions. Um, let's see... as was said, don't blame yourself for letting her get fat. I read an article on a vet website that there is speculation diabetes can also be genetic. Even if it isn't, your kitty wouldn't want you feeling bad over her.
    Regarding her actual pokes: when I give Katie her insulin, I try to stay on her back/ neck area. It helps if the kitty lies down, because the skin tents easier. I have found I can feel/ hear the needle go into her skin, so I know when I'm actually under the skin and I give her the insulin then.
    I wouldn't definitely recommend the home testing. I was very nervous about starting out, and Katie wasn't a fan of it at the beginning, but I give her special treats only at her blood test time, so now she comes to me for the tests! Also, if you looks at the spreadsheet in my sig, you can see a couple times where her BG (blood glucose) was below 200. If I hadn't been home testing, I could have sent her too low without even realizing it!
    This website is a godsend. I have learned so much from here, way more than the vet could tell me. And the people are really helpful. They've all gone through what you are going through, so cheer up. You're in good hands/ paws. ^^

37. Good morning Melissa and Belle
    It sounds like you are doing well. Have you looked at the newbie Kit thread and have you contacted Lori about getting one? I hope you have so you can start testing Belle soon.
    Let me ask you a question... if you had never ever heard of feline diabetes and Belle was not sick at all, what do you think you would have liked to do today?
    Carl

38. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

You need to look at the whole cat -- we call it the 5 P's -- Preening, Playing, Purring, Peeing and Pooping.

If all 5 P's are present and accounted for, your kitty is in good shape -- eating is important too of course.

Since Belle already seems better from a few days on 1u insulin, you may be lucky that she doesn't need more insulin and maybe she will become diet controlled.

Think positive! She's going to be ok.

Tiggy has been diabetic for 7 years and he is still going strong - playful and loving.

39. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

hi belle,

it's me, nikki. it sounds like you're doing really well! go little furry girlfriend!

we need to work on your mom, though... bringing her the toy and making her happy was a really good move!

you need to do more. every time she gives you a treat, remind her to eat. my mommy has this thing for something called cheese toast. she says it's comforting. i never get the toast, but sometimes she gives me a little cheese. comforting, shomforting. it's delicious!!!

here's my suggestion. do that paw on cheek deal that always makes humans smile. the sooner you get your mommy to eat, the sooner you can catch up on your naps. trust me, belle. mommies can be trained. better yet, naps can be had!

head butts and paw pats,
    your friend, nikki

40. dragonkitty03

dragonkitty03 Member

Hello Jennifer,
    I can’t tell if I’m under her skin or not… I’m do nervous and I wouldn’t know what that would feel like, I know I check to make sure her fur is wet and its not but it does smell like the insulin. Is this normal?? Yeah my kitty lays down when I give her shots. So maybe I’m doing something right, how long did you see a change? I know Belle wouldn’t want me to feel bad but I do.. Its so hard…. She sleeps a lot but she is 14 but she uses the cat box less and drinks less water I think…. She gets 1 unit twice a day and she seems to be doing well on it… what does your kitty get?? Do you ever hear the insulin come out of the needle when giving her the shot? I do but her fur isn’t wet.. Thanks! Yes there so nice here… I hope I can handle home test her…

Good morning to you Carl and Bob.. Oh no I haven’t yet…. Watching belle and not sleeping well, I’m very tried and I need to save my money for this visit at this time around, to test her blood and then I will order one, once I get more needles… Thanks me too!! Oh I know there was feline diabetes, if I never heard Belle was sick I would be working out, going for walks and not scared to leave my house and be happy, witch I’m not.. Scared that she is going to die.. Is it normal that she is sleeping a lot? I know cats sleep a lot but its okay right?? Just as long as she doesn’t drink as much water and uses the cat box that much?

I would love to be able to shower and take a nice one and relax… I do shower but I rush so I can go back and watch Belle…. I would look for a part time job, I would want to do lots of things like cooks a whole meal.. I can’t because I’m so sad I lost the motivation for it… but in my eyes I do see that she is feeling better…. The vet does want me to take her back to the vets. How long does it take to test her blood sugar?? I wont have to leave her there right?? Is it pretty fast trip? So I can take her back home??? every time its her shot time I get scared and sick to my stomach… why is that?? Why am I so scared to bring her back to the vet?? I’m scared because in my head it means she wont be coming back home.. But if I see changes it has to be working right? I hope its not wishful thinking or in my head… I know what the cat box use to look like and its not as full as it was and I have two cats… Sorry for the ramble but I’m in panic attack mode… Do you think she will be okay and the vet wont put her down?
    Melissa

Hi Nikki,

It’s me Belle…. I’m feeling a lot better!!! I sleep all the time and she keeps waking me up… I got some wet and dry this morning since I was so hungry.. Thanks yes I’m feeling better!!
    Thanks! Yes I do it all the time for the most part…. I meow my head off and she runs into the kitchen and she see’s the toy!!! When she called me for a treat I came running…

Oh really!! Yeah my mommy sometimes gives me tuna, or when she is making a chicken or roast beef sandwich I get a little too or cheese… Can I still have those things? She gives me a little dry to, even though the vet says no… she knows I love my dry so she gives me a little.. Not enough I could eat way more of it hehehe… She should make her self mac and cheese… I know she likes that!!! Y mommy lost almost 10 pounds in one week, cause she knew some thing was wrong until she took me to the vet Thursday and I have to go back…. She is scared I wont be coming home with her… she cry’s all the time.

I DO that sometimes!! To make her because I want food… I didn’t this morning but I did it yesterday and the day before? Yes I need to nap!!! She tries to eat but she is SO sad. I need my naps… I sleep all day long, and that makes her worry… We’re cats we’re going to sleep… Doesn’t mean anything. I wake when I want food..

Head butts and paw pats,
    Your friend Belle,

41. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

dear belle,

i never met gizmo. probably really good because she sounds like she was really, really scary!

shortly after i came to rescue mommy, she told me about giz. giz was dka and in icu at the er hospital when she became extra-sweet. mommy didn't know the signs of being extra-sweet. mommy told me a story about when she went to pick up giz at the hospital.

she told me she asked the er vet if she should go to work or should she watch giz. the er vet, who mommy loves, simply said, "go to work. giz needs her rest and you not constantly checking to see if she's breathing."

mommy also mentioned she was a complete emotional train wreck when gizzie got sick. although i really am glad i never met giz, i'm grateful to her. why? mommy's pretty calm now. sometimes she looks at me with such love in her eyes. other times -- usually after an ear poke -- she either beats her head against the wall or simply keels over on the carpet. mommy is interesting. sometimes i give her that such love look back. it seems to keep her going and us dancing. did i mention she's interesting?

giz trained her well!

it's a time thing, belle. mom's are trainable!

head butts and paw pats,
    your friend, nikki

42. Lana & Yoyo

Lana & Yoyo Member

Chicken, roast beef and cheese are fine, but the regular dry is a no-no! Most of it is around 40-45% carb. We try to feed less than 10% so you can see there is quite a difference. There is a dry cat food that is around 7% carb. You can see it at http://www.evopet.com/products/1441 and I have never had any problem with it. The menu item, "Where to buy," will tell you who sells it in your area. You will still want to feed primarily wet since diabetic cats are prone to dehydration and wet food helps with that.

Lana

43. dragonkitty03

dragonkitty03 Member

Dear Nikki,

I’m sorry you never met Gizmo.. LOL why was she scary?? Yeah my sibling is scary!! Mommy hasn’t pay much attention to her because all her focus is on me..

That must if been scary for your mommy… Did she tell you these signs so I can tell my mommy… that must have been heartbreaking for your mommy…

I wish my mom would go out or something and stop checking to see if I’m breathing or not.. She is always checking on me… all the time… She doesn’t have a job right now, so she stays home and doesn’t go out and she doesn’t do the things she use to before she found out I got sick…

Yes I would say Giz trained her well.. My mom is a wreck and she cry’s and is SO sad all the time… I’m not a lap kitty really but I will try… I hope my mommy can get through this so she can take care of herself and be able to do the things she likes to do… she won’t even workout anymore or go for long walks… she use to take long showers… not anymore. She take short ones and runs and checks on me and wakes me…

Oh yes I have to train her because she is driving me crazy… It hurts when she lays next to me and starts to cry..

Head butts and paw pats
    Your friend Belle,

Lana

Thanks for that link.. Its right down my road where I can get it… I do have a dry that is low in carbs too. I don’t give her a lot of people food all the time.. Thanks! I will pick some up when I get money again…. Ran out and I need to save the rest for the needles and vet visit in a few days.. Belle will eat anything so it’s a good thing.
    Melissa

44. SmokeyD

SmokeyD Member

Just want to say to hang in there- it's scary at first- I cried a LOT when Smokey was diagnosed. It gets better and easier and people here are GREAT and will totally help you. I'm kind of new at this two (Under a month with Smokey) so I'll leave the advice to others but you've found the right place and you can do this!!!

(((((hugs)))))
    Gwen and Smokey

45. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I haven't had time to read through everything here, but I'm in CT so if you need some help learning to hometest or anything, please feel free to ask. I have GPS and don't mind driving :)

46. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

dear belle,

apparently giz scared the crap out of everyone except mommy. Okay and Anne, French Fry's mom, who kissed her on her nose and lived. And mom's friend, richard, who scooped her and lived. apparently continuing to live was a great gift from giz.

giz taught my mom to dance. they danced four years. it was gizzie who visited my heart and told me to rescue mommy. mommy will tell you it was because of a stupid spider in her shower that she named charlotte. i'm not saying she's lying because she never lies. i'm just saying i disagree about how i rescued her.

does your mom know about something called pms here? i think they are called private messages? my mom sent your mom one. my mom doesn't normally do this, but someone is worried about your mom, and my mom is too. we can help you help your mommy, okay, belle!

i have to go now. i smell pepperoni pizza! if i'm exceedingly cute, which i am, i'll get to share. probably cheese. i'm good with cheese! mom says my ankles will swell from the salt in the pepperoni. having four ankles, i'm good with no swelling...

head butts and paw pats,
    your friend, nikki

47. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

.....pssst Michelle....vet CAN'T just decide to put her to sleep - You can just say No!

KT was diagnosed in June but I had to take my vets word for everything then as my computer was dead. I couldn't research ANYTHING about care, info, dosing - now THAT is terrifying. Every time he did anything 'different' (which wasn't), I'd be over him, beside him, calling his name, touching him. I'd sit and watch his breathing. When he started getting better and doing 'normal' things, I'd be afraid he was getting hypo and started it all over again. I'd asked my vet about home testing but he wasn't familiar with it and didn't encourage me. Didn't DIScourage me, just didn't encourage me either.

It was a month before friends bought me this one - first thing I did was start searching for info about diabetes. I landed here quite quickly thru Dr. Lisa's site, still crying, terrified and lost. I learned about home testing and got meter/strips as quickly as I could afford it....I could TEST to see if his BG was low. It never was....he was just doing things he'd always done and I'd never paid that close of attention.

Guess what...he didn't die, he didn't feel the greatest and still doesn't yet but NOW he sleeps, I do other stuff. He plays, I play with him but I don't panic and start looking for 'different' things.

She's gonna be OK too!

As our lives go, I started typing this over 2 hours ago.... :D

48. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Jennifer,
    I think I have a purrrfect newbie kit for you. 60 strips. a reli-On compatible meter...and I also can send you a ton of u40 syringes. Please put a comment in your order so I will know it's you ok.
    Also, if I can squeeze in more stuff I have some yummy 0carb dried treats too. And some of the cutest toys you likely have ever seen.
    Look at the link in my sig. below ok.
    Lori
    and Tom

49. dmartini4

dmartini4 Well-Known Member

Hello dragonkitty and Belle,

Welcome to FDMB. I have read that you have gotten a ton of good advice
    and you are off to a great start.
    My kitty Shakespeare has been on PZI for 6 months now, 3 units a day twice a day
    and a vial will last us 2 months, so one unit 2 times a day you will be good for a long time
    PZI has an expiration date (which is usually around one year so you are good!)

THere is the PZI site that you can go to for dose advice and help there also.
    There are wonderful people there who are experienced and very helpful

Feel free to stop by and chat with us.
    And please try to stay calm...I know this process is so unnerving but you will get through ok
    (trust me, its been a year and I still sometimes give furshots!)
    so stop by and we can chat
    Denise and Shakes

50. donnahc

donnahc Well-Known Member

Hi Melissa and Belle:
    You are in the best place for sugar kitties and their beans to be! FDMB and all the kind folks here saved me from going nuts about 8 months ago. My cat Asher is on Prozync also and is now regulated thanks to all the well educated people here.

Stop by the ProZync forum and say hi. There are lots of good folks there that know your insulin and have great suggestions for newbies and not so newbies alike:
    viewforum.php?f=24

You mentioned getting used to giving the shots and knowing if you are doing it correctly. I was taught to tent the skin on the flank or on the side of the kitty and put the needle in that tent at a 45 degree angle. Push it in until you feel the plastic at the end of the needle pushing against the kitty’s skin/fur, then push the plunger and pull the needle back out. I always feel around to make sure there is no wetness after a shot.

Hope to see you over at the ProZync forum.

51. donnahc

donnahc Well-Known Member

52. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle :YMHUG: Please, you are doing everything you can for Belle and you can deal with this. Diabetes is a very treatable disease, too many people think it is a death sentence. IT IS NOT!!! Tess is nearly 14 and was DX over a year and a half ago, she will tell you she is just fine thank you! Tess is one of those kitties that need a very little bit of insulin, but don't want to give it up entirely. I thinks she loves all the extra attention. :roll:

One of the best things you can do for Belle is to get rid of the dry food. Even if it is a lower carb food is is hard on cats because of the lack of moisture. Cats normally get most of their water from their prey. They tend to drink very little water, and dry food makes that problem worse. I think understanding food is one of the hardest parts of this whole sugar dance. You said that Belle likes Fancy Feast, go to the the old food list , print out the list (or just those pages for foods you can find) take a highlighter and mark those varieties that are under 10% carbs, the carbs are always in the 3rd column over from the name of the food even if the header isn't visible. This will make it easy to take along when you are shopping. It will also keep you busy for a while and Belle can get her nap in. :lol:

Equally important is BG testing. By testing at home you will save a ton of money over going to the vet. Moreover cats get upset at the vet and the stress can raise their BG a lot, once you get used to testing at home you can get more accurate BGs there than at the vet. You can also see at any given time just how well Belle is doing and that will set your mind at ease. :D With more accurate home tests Belle's insulin can be adjusted much more precisely too.

You are on a tight budget and there are ways to keep costs down. First call you vet and find out how much it costs for a box of syringes . You do not need to buy them from him! My (ex)vet Charged me $47 for syringes I could get for $17 online. Many of us use a site called ADW you can get the lancets and test strips there too, even cheaper than at Walmart. Unless you spend over $100 you do have to pay shipping, but it is usually still way cheaper to order online. You just need to keep track of your supplies and plan ahead. If you don't have a credit card, maybe your dad can help you and you can repay him. If you get the Relion meter at Walmart ADW has strips that will fit it. I have to check on which ones.

I had a thought on your concern about getting the shot in. You said Belle's fur was very fluffy. Try taking a wet cotton ball and dampening the fur around the shot site. it will make it easier to part the fur and to see the ski. Then you can see the needle go in. You won't be able to feel for insulin residue though. I always bend over and sniff the shot site afterwards and then give Tess a little kiss. :D She doesn't notice because I shoot while she is busy eating. :lol: I also put a very slight sideways pressure on the needle when i withdraw it and can feel it come out. That way I know it went in.

lastly, remember the vet works for you!
    • -- the vet cannot tell you that you cannot test
      -- the vet cannot make you bring Belle in for a BG curve or fructosamine test
      -- the vet cannot make you feed his expensive (and poor quality) prescription foods
      -- the vet cannot tell you that you have to put Belle to sleep!!!
      -- Belle is your cat , you decide what is best for her, the vet can advise you, but cannot make you do anything you think is not in Belle's best interest!
      -- YOU CAN find a new vet if this one does not want to work with you

Oh, did you ever say where you live? City and State? There may be a member nearby who can help you get started! :D

Breathe! And eat some chocolate!!! You'll get through this. :YMHUG: :YMHUG: cat_pet_icon cat_pet_icon cat_pet_icon

53. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

hi michelle! i have a daughter named michelle too!

i have read most of the posts here, but not all, but you remind me of my daughter with all your worries and concerns, so i wanted to give you a quote that i've given her.

you are in the best of hands. everyone here has been in your shoes. we are available basically 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (including holidays like today) to help you through anything that comes up. we'll tell you when it's over our heads and you need to see a vet. basic diabetes care and instruction though - you just hit the jackpot. there are a zillion of us capable of helping you get started and deal with what comes up.

for now, just take it one day at a time, like others have told you. many of those things you are dreading and worry about are not going to happen. let's get you hometesting and confident on the shots, and you'll feel SO much more confident about how she is. the blood sugar numbers will tell you if Belle is doing ok or not. then every time you test her you'll be reassured.

i used to be afraid every single morning that punkin would be dead when i got up. but he's not! we've been doing this since last december, and punkin just got done with a little 30 minute purr-fest on the living room floor.

also, i'll second what others have said - you have to get rid of the dry food. every single bite of it. donate it to a non-diabetic kitty or shelter. some kitties eat 3 kibbles and their blood sugar rockets high. it's not helping her and it works against what you're doing with the insulin. but we want you testing! because if she is a kitty who rockets with the dry kibble and the kibble goes away, then she might need a lot less insulin - testing is going to tell you that - and we don't want to create a new problem by changing too many things at once. home testing is your answer to all of this.

:YMHUG: you're in the right spot. we'll teach you how to help Belle. she'll be better before you know it - you'll have your "old" girl back. hang in there.

54. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

Thanks for popping in over here, ladies.
    Melissa and Belle are in Bethel CT. I believe there are a few members closer to her than me who are trying to help out behind the scenes.

MJ&Donovan

55. dragonkitty03

dragonkitty03 Member

Gwen and Smoky,
    Thanks so much! I’m so glad that I found this place… Are you still crying?? I can’t seem to stop and I’m so scared to leave the house. It is very scary!! How is Smoky doing?? Better I hope.. Yes I’ve notice people here are great!!
    ((((((hugs))))))
    Melissa and Belle

Tucker,

Oh thanks so much!! Where in CT are you? We may be living close together… Can you help me with the shots?? To make sure I’m doing it right? Its like 9am and 9pm and when I start home testing I will need help with that too… thanks so much!!! I don’t have a car so that would help a lot!!! Thank you!!!

Dear Nikki,

Awe really! Yeah my sibling is like that!! She is a scary kitty…. Awe Giz sounded like he had a sweet side to her… oh yes that is a very good gift.

Thanks, your mom called my mom and she feels better now, still scared and worried but not has bad… tell your mommy thank you… my mom is going to call your mom around the time I get my shot… if we all work together we can get her through this….

Oh YUM my mom hasn’t eaten and she needs to so she can share it with ME!!! Sometimes she gets bacon pizza! YUM my favorite!!!! Yes Me too, no swelling is good.. Cheese is good though. Enjoy your moms pizza!!!

Head butts and paw pats
    Your friend Belle
    Squeaky and KT

Oh thanks GOD! Plus I think she is doing better anyways!!

Oh wow, I’m going to ask my vet about home testing… yeah I do the same thing I watch her breath I wake her and call her name just to make sure she is okay… I just checked on her a few minutes ago,.. I always ask if she is okay and when she is sleeping and doesn’t move I worry… I get scared and then I wake her or touch her ear or something.
    Really? Belle is doing what she has done.. So why am I so scared?? I feel pretty good at the moment… but I know she isn’t using the cat box or drinking water as much as she use to, witch is good, right? That’s good that he never had a low.

I’m glad he is getting better.. Belle doesn’t play really but she sleeps a lot and she does what she always does… so she should be okay right? Sometimes she will call me when she is in the kitchen to bring me a cat toy and there it is right in the kitchen.. Then she walks away..

LOL I do that too!! =)

Thanks! I hope so!!!

Denise and Shakes,

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Yes and yes I am… oh really? Because its almost down to the top if the label. Well that’s good I will be good for a while.. That eases me some, about that… Wow that is GREAT! So I will run out of needles before I do the insulin.

Awe thanks! I will check that out… I need to buy some more needles before I run out of them…. Money is tight so I hope its not to much… everyone on here seems really wonderful!
    Thanks I will come on by. Really still? Do you get a smell when you don’t get a fur shot?? I can smell the insulin but the fur isn’t wet, I can here the sound of the insulin coming out too… I have good ears… yes I will try to clam down.. Maybe if I eat something and have a soda that will help me.. Thanks so much!!
    Melissa and Belle

56. dragonkitty03

dragonkitty03 Member

Hello Julie1220,

Awe really? My name is Melissa.. Its okay people call me Michelle all the time…

That would be great!! I have tons of worries… I’m clam at the moment.. I hope it can last for a while…

Wow I really like that quote! Thanks for sharing that for me!!

I really appreciate it… Its so new to me, and I have no money and I need to get more needles the u40 and I have no idea how I will get them…. I’m taking her to the vet in a few days so that should go well I hope… I’m scared about that… She seems like she is doing much better better then she was at least… Everyone here is so kind!!! It helps a lot… I’m crying less and tonight before bed I think I will try to take a nice long shower and relax…

That’s what I’m hoping… I would feel better… she is new on the shots so she may need the two doses twice a day for a while?? When I go back to the vet I will tell him I want to home test and I can fax it to him every 10 days so he can see how she is doing and if changes need to be made he can let me know, I hope this helps… I need to know if Belle is good and he can tell me what numbers are good and what numbers I should give her a shot with… that way it will save us both the time and save me money.. I can do this and I wont be so high strung!

Oh I know the feeling, I’m scared when she is sleeping and doesn’t move she died or when I wake up she is dead too.. WOW really? So its almost a year now!! What is that??

Oh really?? Well I have another cat I can give it too… I have to try to ween her off the dry because she loves her dry… yes I will home test her and see what happens… she is on a very low dose right now, so maybe she can stay on what she is or get a lower dose. I will save money and get that started….

Thanks! I think she may have been sick for a while but I hope she gets better really soon! Thank you sooo much!!!! :hug:

57. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Just double check the label on your insulin -- some say U40 (pet insulins like Prozinc or PZI or Caninsulin) and many say U100 (human insulins like Lantus, Levemir and Humulin N)

It is possible to buy PZI in different strengths --- that is why you need to check it -- you cannot safely use U40 syringes with U100 insulin.

You need to use syringes that match the insulin

58. dragonkitty03

dragonkitty03 Member

thanks, yeah the needle I have is u40 on the needle... can i get those at like cvs or something like that??

59. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

U40 syringes are for animal use only and not available from your local pharmacy. You can get them from your vet or over the internet. Just Google for U40 syringe.

You can use the human U100 syringes for a U40 insulin. If you draw up the U40 insulin to the 2 1/2 mark on a U100 insulin you would have drawn up 1 unit of the U40 insulin.

60. tuckers mom

I'm in Milford CT but don't mind driving if I need to. I can show you how to hometest and I've used PZI, not ProZinc, but PZI for years. I currently use Levemir and Lantus, but if nothing else I could show you the basics.

I have several FDs, most are off insulin, only one is currently insulin dependent.

With my DCIN supplies I think I have some U40 syringes you can have if you'd like them. I'm pretty sure my Sweet Potato was transported up with a box of them but he didn't need insulin once he got here.

61. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

I think Lori and Tom offered to send some U40s in with the Newbie Kit

62. dragonkitty03

dragonkitty03 Member

Oh that would be GREAT thanks!! I can DEF use the syringes.. Your so kind… I just hope the ProZinc will last a few months so I can save money to get a new bottle… I’m going to talk to the vet about home testing when I bring her inn, this week sometime, and tell him I can fax or mail him the spread sheet or however its done and I will do that every ten days and he can let me know if I need to reduce or whatever with the insulin.

I just thought of something… My dad’s GF cat had diabetes for 3 years and then reversed it but he didn’t die from it and he never had a low and he was an outdoor/indoor cat… he has other problems that got him in the end… I should keep that in mind when I feel worried about Belle… I think he was a little younger or older then Belle is but I know Max will guide me though it so Belle well get well….

The vet didn’t give me many and I will need then soon… the Icon of the cat, is that your kitty?? it’s a very pretty cat…. I need to figure out how to get Belle up on here… Yeah I don’t think Milford is far from Bethel… yeah once I start the home testing I will really need help!!!

63. dragonkitty03

dragonkitty03 Member

Donna,
    Wow that is GREAT!! So prozinc works really good??? How long did it take for Asher to get regulated? Belle just started it on Friday evening. She is going to get last shot in about an hr.

Thanks I sure will!! I will DEF say hi!!! Oh I can’t wait!!!! That is great that everyone is SO supportive!!!

Oh okay that’s what I do… I don’t stick the needle all the way inn though.. I do feel for wetness but I don’t, and I do smell the insulin, though… does that mean I’m doing it right? I can hear the insulin coming out of the needle… She is drinking a lot of water today but its also very muggy out and I keep turning on and off the AC… so can that be it??

Oh you will no worries =)

64. dragonkitty03

dragonkitty03 Member

Phoebe_Tiggy_NortonGA

oh really? okay awesome.... I saw that post and I thought that was for Jennifer cause it was message to her... that would be SO nice of them!! money is SO tight right now, so I could really use that!!! Thanks for pointing that out to me.

65. tuckers mom

I think it's about an hour drive, if you want help learning to hometest in person, I can come by on a weekend, if you can do it with the videos, that's great too. Feel free to contact me if you need help in person.

66. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

This is such an amazing community - you are in great hands. You aren't alone, and you'll learn everything you need to know. To be honest, you will know more about feline diabetes than your vet soon. The board here helps thousands of FD cats a year whereas a vet only sees and treats a handful. I too was quite overwhelmed and once the initial few weeks were over with, it was just part of the daily routine. Like reading the paper and drinking coffee.

Lori you are wonderful.

67. Jennifer and Katie

Jennifer and Katie Member

Hey, Melissa, sorry it took me the whole day to write back; I've been at work. I had a thought with you not knowing if you're under her skin or not. You could try practicing poking through a medium weight fabric, such as moleskin, to get the idea of what it feels like to poke through something. Then again, my cat has thicker skin, so maybe that's why I can feel it. I've never heard the insulin, or smelled it, but I haven't gotten close enough to her skin to hear/ smell it. I could tell she was starting to feel better once the water bowl was remaining full, instead of emptying several times a day. That was only about five or so days after I started giving her the insulin.
    Katie currently gets 1.5 U twice a day. The vet told me to go from 1 U to 2 U, which I did, but Katie's numbers yo-yo-d too much, so I dropped to the 1.5 U, because it was what was recommended by people on the site. She's doing much better now; her body even seems to be trying to produce insulin on its own, which means we should be due for a dosage decrease soon.
    The home testing really is the best thing for your kitty. As I was told, taking your cat to the vet stresses them, so their glucose number is elevated. If you test at home, they are in an environment that they know/ feel safe in, so the numbers are much more accurate. At first, I had to restrain Katie to do the home testing, but now I can just reach over and grab her ear for the poke, no matter where she is in the house. No more restraint needed. I would offer to come show you, but I live in Utah, which is pretty far away from everyone. But I'm sure someone will be able to help you with that^^
    I will also second that the vet can't decide to put her down. She is YOUR cat, so you have that decision. But I wouldn't give up on your kitty just yet. She is sick, but it doesn't have to be the end of her. Admittedly, I still worry about my kitty, especially when I'm at work. She won't let anyone else test her, and stays in my room most of the time when I am gone. I have a tendency to check my phone at every break, just to make sure there hasn't been a call about her. And it is also sometimes difficult at night, because she is a heavy sleeper. I even picked her up once and she didn't wake until I put her back down and started petting her.
    But don't fret too much. You do still have to remember to take care of YOU. Getting sick because you're so worried would be counter-productive, and I know she's worried about you. Cats know when someone is down, so she probably wants to help, but doesn't know how. A happy smile and laughter will go miles to make her feel better^^

68. Hi Melissa,
    I had to work most of the day and evening, but it sure looks like you have gotten a ton of help from all of the great people here today! From everything I've read, it sounds like Belle is doing well, and with all this help, it seems like you are feeling a bit more self-confident too. That's terrific. Once you get your testing supplies, and especially if Jennifer comes to visit and shows you all about testing and giving shots, you are going to feel that you really do know what to do, and you'll feel a lot more in control of Belle's well being. Sounds like it's been a great day for both of you.

Threads like these are the best example of how great this place is!

Carl in SC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.