I’m not sure I can do this.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lunabeth, Sep 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lunabeth

lunabeth New Member

Hello group I did not want to join. My baby Luna (8yo) was diagnosed with diabetes yesterday. He also has some kind of infection (very high white blood count) and X-ray showed serious constipation - he might have to go back tomorrow for an enema. I also spent $800 in a matter of hours. I am freaking out. I do not have the kind of lifestyle to monitor him like he needs. I work very late, long hours and live alone 30 minutes outside of town, i.e., 30 minutes from friends and family who could help me. Aside from being incredibly worried about him (I forgot to mix his insulin tonight before giving it and am terrified that I’ll kill him by doing it wrong), I feel like I’ve been given a huge responsibility overnight that I can’t take on. But I also can’t not take it on! I don’t know what to do. I love him so much but I’m stretched so thin already. I feel selfish and embarrassed to even post this. But I also have compassion for myself and everyone here. I’m human and life is a mixed bag. Things happen that we don’t expect and it’s all about how we deal with our cards.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Uno's mom likes this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to you and Luna.
    It is always scary and overwhelming in the beginning as it is all so new. We all felt like you do in the beginning. It will get easier.

You say in your signature you are feeding wet food. That is great. Is it Low carb, do you know.? We recommmend 10% or less carbs.
    I see he has been prescribed Lantus insulin. That is a good insulin and he is on an appropriate dose. Not sure what you mean by saying you didn't mix his insulin before giving.........you do not need to mix or shake Lantus insulin at all. If your vet told you this, he is incorrect. Keep it in the frig and it will last much longer.
    We recommend home testing the blood sugar levels. It is the best way to keep Luna safe and to see how the insulin is working in his body. It is not hard to do and it won't hurt Luna. We can help you learn to test.

I am concerned he is not eating at the moment. It is very important he is eating if you are giving insulin so at this point, any food is better than not eating. Also I see he has some kind of infection ( with the high white cell count). Has the vet put him on an antibiotic? When a cat has diabetes he is prone to ketones which can lead on to ketoacidosis which is a serious illness in cats. The 'recipe' for ketoacidosis is not enough insulin, not enough food, and an infection or inflammation in the body. To test for ketones, you need to buy a bottle of Ketostix, which you can buy at Walmarts or a pharmacy for about $10. To test you need to get a specimen of Luna's urine and then test it with the test strip in the bottle as per the instructions. Anything above a trace needs vet assistance.
    So make sure he is eating something, is getting his 1 unit of insulin twice a day and drinking fluids. And get the Ketostix. I would also ask the vet if there were any ketones in his blood test or urine test when he was diagnosed.

Here is a hug :bighug:. You WILL be able to do this. The first couple of weeks are hard with the steep learning curve and everything new but it gets much better and is just a routine to follow after that.:)

I would recommend you start posting over on the main forum where there are lots more people who are only too happy to help and support you. Here is the link.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

Uno's mom and lunabeth like this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome @lunabeth you can do this and we will help! Bron gave you some great info. Read through it and come to the Main Health Forum and ask any questions you have.

lunabeth likes this.
  4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! None of us 'wanted' the diagnosis, and it is upsetting and overwhelming to get, but it can be managed. If you want help with figuring out your schedule, post on the main health forum and explain your situation. There are people here from all walks of life, so it is very likely that someone else has a similar situation to yours and can offer advice. Where there is a will, there is usually a way!

There are sacrifices involved. I would be telling a lie if I said I did not have to make changes in my life to care for Mia. For me, there was no alternative. She is my baby. I love her, and she is my responsibility. So, you may have to look at your circumstances with fresh eyes and find little ways to adjust enough that you can do what needs to be done. You can do it!

lunabeth likes this.
  5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Lunabeth. No, none of us wanted to join this group, but I think you will find that there are benefits even beyond finding the information and support you need to care for Luna. This is a group of people that voluntarily give time to help to others, whether they are at the beginning or somewhere along the way of this journey they call the "sugar dance". There is vast experience and knowledge shared with love and compassion. So, please take advantage of all that's offered, and let us help you to feel less overwhelmed and in a better position to take the challenge on.

lunabeth likes this.
  6. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

Welcome! The first few weeks after diagnosis are hard. There is such a lot to take on. For the first month, I felt like I spent all my free time chasing Cleo around with syringes. Now she begs for injections because she knows she gets a treat before and after. It gets easier as diabetes becomes integrated into your (and your kitty's) routine. I know it can all seem overwhelming at first. Try to be patient with yourself. You can do this!

lunabeth likes this.
  7. lunabeth

lunabeth New Member

Thank you all!

Bron and Sheba: Luna is at the vet again right now getting an enema (he hasn’t been going to the bathroom) and fluids. He received a long-acting antibiotic injection on Monday for the infection, and we will be back on Monday to check his white blood count again. I skipped his insulin this morning since he hasn’t been eating. I just got a package of Nature’s Domain organic grain-free wet food cans (manufacturer says less than 10% carbs) so I hope he will like that. (I am also switching his brother over to the same food to hopefully avoid health problems for him. I feel bad that I wasn’t feeding them better food the past 8 years.) I am keeping my insulin in the fridge, and the vet had shown me how to roll the bottle around in my hand (never shake!) before administering and that was the part I forgot to do. I will also learn how to do the blood testing at home for the future. Thanks again for the support!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Tracey&Jones (GA) and jaykay like this.
  8. Charlie8610

Charlie8610 Member

Hi! I am in the same boat. I just found out my Charlie, age 8, has diabetes on Monday. I’m a nurse and my schedule varies 7-3 3-11. I talked with my vet today and he suggested I use the app “Rover”. You can hire experienced caretakers to give your cat insulin on schedule if you are not around. You can meet them before as well. I hope this helps. I am also very overwhelmed. Glad I found this page

JeanW likes this.
  9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

That's good he is on an antibiotic.
    Try not to miss insulin if you can. You may need to ask for an antinausea injection to get him over the next few days ( such as a cerenia injection) or some tablets. Cats won't eat if they are nauseated.
    Did you ask the vet if they tested for ketones?
    **** Lantus insulin does not need rolling before use. Please don't roll it. That was only for the older type insulins which needed mixing before use.. ...Lantus does not need mixing before use. It needs to be put into the main part of the frig in a container and not in the frig door so to avoid jolting it.
    Great job switching his brother over to the wet food as well!! Don't feel bad because you fed dry food....most of us did until we came to this site
    Bron

10. Jcaits

Jcaits New Member

We're really in the same boat... My 9 yo old Bromi was just diagnosed on Tuesday and I'm really struggling with guilt and feeling overwhelmed about everything. Reading your intro post actually made me feel less horrible about my own situation, so thank you wo much for sharing!

11. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

I'm confused why you're not on the Lantus Forum? The people there are Expert on advising you on how to use Lantus insulin.
    They have many years of Experience & really do Know more than most Vets about Lantus Insulin.

Please come on the Lantus forum & ask for Advice. They will Help! They will walk you thru the steps you need to take to help your Kitty.

Hang in there. Once you get more information it will get easier!:)

12. Charlie8610

Charlie8610 Member

She just joined. Why are you confused

13. JoyBee&Ravan

I said i was confused because some people are advising " NEW " people, using Lantus ,to go to the main forum. I felt the best place to start is the Lantus Forum to get advice since she is using Lantus.

I've been here for over 7 months.
    I was trying to help by getting them to the correct place.

Do you think I gave Bad advice?

14. Charlie8610

Charlie8610 Member

No I do not think you gave bad advice. Sorry I just thought that sounded rude. Then again-you can’t tell tone over the internet

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  15. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

@JoyBee&Ravan we usually tell folks to go to the Main Health Forum first where they can get some basic knowledge to start testing and get a spreadsheet set up. Once that’s done, then we send them to the appropriate forum if they need dosing advice. That way when they get there it will be easier for them to get the help they need.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  16. JoyBee&Ravan

@Sharon14

Thank you for the info.:)
    I guess i forgot that i was probably on the main forum first also. It seems like a very long time ago!

Sharon14 likes this.
  17. JeanW

JeanW Member

@Charlie8610, this is great info. Thanks for sharing!

Welcome to you and to @lunabeth!

18. Uno's mom

Uno's mom Member

Welcome Lunabeth and please don't feel bad or embarrassed! We all understand. I also have a crazy schedule and never know when I will be working more than a week in advance. I'm fortunate in that I live with my boyfriend (who also doesn't know his schedule more than a week in advance) who can test and give the insulin shots and so far we have been lucky that our schedules have worked out. Besides him, I don't have anyone to help either. I was also terrified that I was doing things wrong - I think that's normal. You are already 10 steps ahead of where I started in that your vet gave you Lantus. Please get some ketone testing strips. Infection, not eating and not enough insulin is a recipe for DKA which is very dangerous and life threatening, not to mention expensive to resolve at the vets. I would try force feeding him with a syringe (no needle) if he's not eating. Please read the stickies in the Lantus forum - there is a lot of good information there that will help you. And remember, we are always here to help as well. Sending hugs to you and your sweet fur baby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.