I'm so scared...my Dweezil has Diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by monty_dweezil (GA), Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monty_dweezil (GA)

monty_dweezil (GA) Member

Hi everyone

My baby son Dweezil (6 years old) was diagnosed with Diabetes yesterday and I'm terrified I'm going to somehow hurt or kill him with my major lack of know-how in terms of how to inject the insulin!

I don't know how to read the glucose levels, but apparently a level of 4-8 is normal (I don't know if this is for blood or urine) and his was 35. I think this is urine. Or maybe it's just Australian numbers.

His dosage is 2 units twice a day, 12 hours apart. We started yesterday and he had his first at-home administration of insulin (Glargine) at 6pm with his dinner. It went well. Nothing seemed to get on his fur which meant it all got into him. He seemed better pretty much right away, but that may have just been in our heads (previously, he'd been gulping water a lot, his litter box smelled of apple cider and he had lost about 1.8 pounds in three weeks. Hence why we took him to the vet yesterday).

This morning I gave him his morning dose and I have never done it before, nor was I able to accompany my partner to the vet yesterday as I could not get off work. I pinched the skin behind his head / neck and tried to get a tent going on, and injected into that hollow.

First I was worried there'd be a tiny air bubble in the syringe. I find it hard to see such a small dose as it's clear liquid. I then googled and read that it's not dangerous to get a bit of air in subcutaneous injections, THANK GOD. Very different to a vein.

Then there seemed to be liquid on his fur after the needle was given. *sigh* So I assume somehow I managed to NOT get it injected properly. I have no idea how this happened.

I was paranoid about leaving him all day (for work) without any insulin, but was also paranoid about giving him too much insulin, so I gave a tiny 1ml extra injection. Nothing got on my hand or his fur this time.

I'm terrified though that he may have a hypo reaction from this. I don't know how we're supposed to help him if he DOES have a reaction (too low blood glucose / too much insulin), as we were told the peak of insulin comes around 5-6 hours after injection. We are always asleep then or at work. I am SO SCARED.

I hate this. How can we go on like this forever!?

2. KittyMom777

KittyMom777 Member

Hi and welcome to the forum,

First thing to tell you is - and I learned this lesson myself so you're not alone in this...if you give a fur shot, don't ever give more. You don't know how much got in and you could end up doubling the dose.

What meter are you using? The 35 does not sound unreasonable - so its probably correct. My kitty started off in high 30s as well. What was his number at diagnosis do you know?

Typically on the forum here, they recommend starting at 0.5 or 1u twice a day depending on whether you are feeding him a low carb, wet food diet. What are you currently feeding him?

Air bubbles arent dangerous as far as I know - however if you have a bubble of air then he won't be getting the full dose as the air is taking up some of the space in the syringe. I found the best way to get rid of the air was to draw up just a little more than you need; pull the plunger out the vial (or pen) then pull the plunger down quite a bit (say to 5 units) then tap the syringe til any air is at the bottom. Slowly push the plunger back up to where it should be - your 2u, then you should be air free.

Fur shots happen to all of us - all we can do is just say better next time.

Its okay leaving him for the day with no insulin if you've done a fur shot - as they say here "better too high for a day than too low for a moment".

Here are some links that you might find useful reading:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207 - how to set up a spreadsheet so you can record your numbers and post it in your signature so we can all see and help you.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1581 - Tight Regulation Protocol
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1581 - Can you do Tight Regulation with a Full Time Job
    viewtopic.php?f=32&t=61794 - Dont Go Too Fast with the Insulin
    viewtopic.php?f=32&t=129446 - Start Low, Go Slow - alternative to the Tight Regulation Protocol.

This should help you a lot.
    Juliet and Silver​

3. monty_dweezil (GA)

Thank you SO much! :) I am NEVER giving any extra insulin ever again. I am too scared I'll come home to find him dead. :(

Yes, at his diagnosis yesterday his level was 35. They had the urine strip (I'd managed to get a sample at 5am that morning) and it was so dark it was almost black, whereas the normal very high reading was dark green.

Our vet has started him on 2ml twice a day, with food, 12 hours apart. He weighs 5.5kg (or a tiny bit over 12 pounds. He was 13.6 pounds a month ago) and he has now changed from his old diet (which both my cats had been on for most of their lives) which was Advance brand indoor cat biscuits (pet store brand) twice a day and a very small amount (a quarter of a small tin) of Fancy Feast wet food twice a day. We do not feed on demand but they used to have their wet food at 6am and 6pm and their dry food at 9am and 11pm.

So now, they are on Science Diet diabetic formula and they are to have this twice a day and that's it. They are both SO hungry. No wet food. And no 4 x daily smaller feedings. Although, Dweezil has never eaten all his biscuits all in one sitting, so we've been removing them once he walks away and he has eaten half, and then we put them back 2-3 hours later and he'll finish them then. I hope that's ok.

He is my baby cat son. :) I just want him to be ok.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

welcome to FDMB!

Juliet has started you off with some good info.
    one thing that will help us give you good feedback is if you add some details to your signature.

To edit your signature

Go to the top left of the screen.
    Click on User Control Panel.
    Click on Profile
    Click on Edit Signature
    A text box displays.
    This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
    Add any other text, such as
    your name, cat's name,
    city, state,country
    date of Dx (diagnosis)
    insulin
    meter
    any other pertinent issues like if there are any food issues, history of DKA, hepatic lipidosis, pancreatitis, allergies, IBD, etc.
    Then Click on Submit to save it.

See my signature for 2 links you may find helpful:
    Glucometer Notes - some reference ranges for different meter types and what they may mean; info on meter reliability
    Secondary Monitoring Tools - some additional assessments you may wish to make on your cat

5. monty_dweezil (GA)

Thank you again.

I don't really know any figures yet. We only know his level was 35. He has to go back in a week for his whole day of testing, I presume the glucose curve thing?

6. This is Science Diet dry food? And the vet said no wet food? And only feed twice per day?

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Uh ... you can reduce your costs considerably by feeding over the counter, low carb, canned food, on those 4 meals a day spread out, if you want to do so.
    Please go to Cat Info for vet-written nutrition information, plus a downloadable food list for shopping here.

8. monty_dweezil (GA)

Dammit! I meant Royal Canin diabetic formula dry food. I keep calling it Science Diet! :(

We were told that most wet food uses lots of sugar as preservatives.

And yes, we were told NO GRAZING, only breakfast and dinner. I had assumed prior to this advice that some controlled grazing (4 smaller meals per day) might be better at "absorbing" the insulin doses...

I actually thought our old diet for our cats was pretty good! With a mix of wet AND dry. Their old biscuits contained...

Protein - 35%
    Crude fat - 16%
    "Moisture" - 6%
    And various added things that sound good (and are also in the Royal Canin diabetic biscuits, which are as follows...

Protein - 46%
    Crude fat - 12%
    "Moisture" - 5.5%

So it's marginally better I think, except it also contains barley, wheat gluten, maize gluten, tapioca, fructo-olligo saccharides...all of those SOUND like they're carbs to me. In the additives it has starch 18% and sugar 1.8%. 356 calories.

Advance contains corn gluten, rice and corn, and then much the same other stuff. 374 calories.

I recall when they were younger, we tried some fresh mince from the supermarket, but Dweezil threw up all over himself every time he ate it (twice), and Monty wouldn't touch it.

We used to use Temptations treats each morning, but we're not sure if they're ok now. The vet gave us liver treats.

Right after my cats eat their biscuits, they ALWAYS go for a drink of water.

Now I'm looking at the shopping list of foods. We only seem to have Fancy Feast here in Australia...none of the other brands. They actually do (used to) have a few of that brand, and in particularly they love the cod, shrimp and sole. They used to like the souffle type ones, but then Monty would throw up after each one so we stopped buying them.

They've always been fussy with their wet foods. They only like the ones with gravy and darker meat. They've never touched the all white ones like the plain chickens, or the plain beef ones.

We do have IAMS, Purina / Pro Plan and Eukanuba. I always assumed Purina was sort of a merging of supermarket brands and vet / pet store brands, as they're in the supermarket.

In general, I find it SO hard to decipher labels on things when they don't say how many carbs are in them. The wet foods never seem to have any detailed info on the labels except their ingredients, which are the same for each ones. Even the values in the shopping list here I am baffled by. I'm not even sure if the numbers are the same as here due to us not using oz and lbs and such.

9. I can only tell you from my experience with my FD kitty, Bob.
    And what I've seen work for hundreds of others in the three and a half years I've been here.

Dry food, even prescription food, is not good for cats. Even non-diabetics.
    Low carbs seems to be the trick to treating diabetes. Ideally, those that contain 5% or less calories from carbs. Pate style canned foods in general meet those criteria. My cat ate Fancy Feast "classic" flavors, all 5% or less. Just about everyone here feeds low carb canned food (nonprescription).

Feeding multiple small meals works better than two meals per day. It spreads the boost from carbs from eating more evenly thought the 12 hour cycles of insulin. Human diabetics tend to eat small and frequent meals. Works the same way for cats.

Your vet picked a good insulin. I'm not sure about starting at 2u twice a day, but other people who used Glargine (we call it Lantus here but it's the same insulin) would know better than I do. But the food and meal timing they advised makes me scratch my head.

I realize you don't know me from Adam, and I'm certainly not a vet. But here is a link to an interview with a leading feline nutrition and diabetes vet, Dr. Lisa Pierson that was done recently. She posts here occasionally, and I would absolutely trust her advice and wisdom with my cats. Give it a listen and maybe share it with your vet.

And welcome to the "family"!

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=129946

10. monty_dweezil (GA)

Thank you so much for that.

I admit I am totally clueless in this regard. I have of course a strong general interest in my cats' health and also an interest in medical things for humans too, so I tend to research a lot and learn quite quickly. This is all new to me.

My previous understanding was...wet foods with by-products = not good. Wet foods with lots of sugar and salt = not good. Natural wet foods = good. Dry foods like some supermarket brands or cheaper brands = REALLY bad and they can often end up causing kidney failure and urinary blockages and infections. Dry food from vets and pet stores I thought = good in small amounts per day alongside small amounts of good quality wet food.

My cats have always eaten small meals a few times a day, so we are going to keep doing that. It's not as if either are overweight. We don't need them to lose weight, and especially not Dweezil, who we now want to GAIN a bit back. As I mentioned somewhere (I think), Dweezil in particular always walks away after eating half his meals, every time, wet or dry. Then he'll want food again 2-3 hours later and will finish the meal then. There's just no way he will ever eat the whole meal at once, even if he's starving. So we can't just let him eat half and then not eat again for 12 hours!

11. monty_dweezil (GA)

I'm still baffled as to how to tell how much % of the energy is from carbs as opposed to fat and protein...for both wet and dry food.

12. On the catinfo.org page, there is a link to a chart that lists the % of protein, fat, and carbs for hundreds of canned cat food varieties. The formulas are beyond me, but Dr. Lisa has already done the work for all of us :smile:

Cats are obligate carnivores. They require NO carbs to supply energy. They have enzymes that convert proteins and fats to carbs to fulfill all of their energy needs. Any carbs in their diet are useless to them.

13. Curious, does "QLD" stand for Queensland?

14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome. We've all been in your shoes. It's very scary at first. Have you read The Dear Mom letter from your cat?

One of the Australian members who was here when I first started stopped by a couple of days ago. Here is the list of foods she fed her cat.
    He is still in remission over 2.5 years later.

15. monty_dweezil (GA)

Yep, QLD is Queensland. :)

Hmmm...i am more and more convinced that the right wet food is required.

I got home today SO relieved to find Dweezy alive and well. :)

16. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Gluten is the protein part of grains. It is not the carb portion.

17. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The formula for calculating a starting Lantus dose is based on lean weight.
    Here are the steps:

How much does your cat weigh?
    How much should your cat weight?
    Take the lower number.
    Convert to kilograms if in pounds (pounds/2.2)
    Multiply by 0.25.
    Round down to nearest 0.25,
    That is the dose in units.

Glargine is a U-100 insulin. This means it has 100 units per mL. You use matching U-100 syringes with it. These can come with half unit markings; they do not come with 0.25, nor 0.75 unit markings so we eyeball those or use calipers when giving doses at those increments.

We have 2 protocols for giving Lantus

Start Low, Go Slow
    Tight Regulation

Take a look over both and see what will fit best into your life.

Its important to understand it can take 5-7 days on the same first dose before it settles. After the first dose level, it takes 3-5 days to settle. This is because Lantus forms small crystals under the skin which gradually dissolve to release the insulin. We call this the depot of shed. There is usually a bit of overlap in doses which helps keep the glucose level smoother.

New folk should not inject if the pre-shot is less than 200 mg/dL on a human glucometer unless there is mid-cycle data to show it is safe. As you get data, you may lower that to 150 mg/dL.

Dose increases are based on the nadir, the lowest glucose post shot. This is usually around +5 to +7 hours post-shot. Dose reductions are based on going below 50 mg/dL on a human glucometer for Tight Reg and 90 mg/dL for SLGS.

18. The reason I asked is that you may have some incredible resources at your disposal that are close to home. If you have had time to glance at the links that Juliet posted above, one of them is to the Tight Regulation protocol that many here use. It is sometimes called the "Roomp/Rand" protocol. Dr. Jacquie Rand is the "Rand" and she can be found at the University of Queensland:

http://researchers.uq.edu.au/researcher/76

You may be able to contact The U of Q for information on the best foods available in Australia for diabetic cats. I'm sure the ones Wendy listed would be on the list as well. They would have the most up to date information on the overall treatment of feline diabetes too. Something that you and your vet would have easy access to.

19. JC & Balki

JC & Balki Member

We were really lucky to receive help from Jacquie Rand and the UQ diabetes clinic when Balki started insulin.
    Balki tightly regulated immediately, but Jacquie advised us not to just stop insulin, but to continue for at least 3 months.
    I am so thankful for this advice, because Balki is still in remission today, and on high carb dry food.
    They actually recommended Hills m/d to us and never suggested the kind of canned recommended here.
    Balki would not eat the Hills however, and they were happy enough with the RC Diabetic we gave him instead.
    Personally, I found diet to be unimportant (Balki's BG is the same whatever he eats) and tight regulation for as long as possible was key.
    I think it is actually much easier and safer to follow tight regulation when you free feed and don't feed really low carb.

20. monty_dweezil (GA)

Oh wow, yes, I will definitely contact them!!!

And YES, I did read that letter to mom from the kitty. I loved it. It is SO apt for how I'm being right now. Checking to make sure Dweezil's sleeping or resting and not in a coma. LOL!

Thank you SO much again for all your help and support.

21. monty_dweezil (GA)

I keep seeing all these beautiful baby cats as avatars but cannot get any picture of my sons to be SO tiny at only 9kb!!!

Anyway, Dweezy definitely seems more sprightly and his old naughty self. He had stopped grooming my ankles for a few weeks (he used to always do that when on the couch with me) but has started again as well as trying to eat my hair (I do NOT let him do this, lest I become bald. lol)

There have been no more fur shots so far, as my partner has done the last two. She gets nervous but is better at giving the actual shot than I am. I have an appointment with several youtube videos this afternoon after work to watch exactly how they do it. I'm always a bit scared of hurting him if I get too much of his scruff in my hand.

I was also thinking, how do other cat parents do this whole routine if they work full time? My partner is home all day Mondays, I'm home all day Fridays, and also only work 4 hours on Wednesdays and Thursdays. The only day we're out all day is Tuesday. We're lucky. I also go to bed fairly late (11pm-midnight) most nights and my partner gets up early (before 6am) for work, so those poor cats never get much time to themselves! lol

22. Excellent question, and one we see often. Here is a link to a thread that will give you an idea of how some folks do this:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=129378

23. monty_dweezil (GA)

Wow, it is SO much easier for us, thank goodness, as there's two of us and we both work part time (well, mostly only I do). Heheh. ;)

24. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Delighted to hear that Dweezil was OK when you got back home. As others have commented above, if you get an injection hiccup then you chalk it down to 'one of those things' and give the proper dose at the next injection. It's even more important when using depot insulins like Lantus (glargine), since the effects of the additional insulin may not become apparent for several cycles.

If you're planning to switch Dweezil to all wet, low carb food it's vital that you should be home testing his BG beforehand. The removal of dry food can result in much lower BG within hours. As it is, Dweezil's starting dose of insulin is on the high side cf. that recommended in the Tight Regulation dosing guidelines (maybe the vet was taking into account the dry (higher carb) food?). Frequent home testing while Dweezil goes through the transition is the best way to keep him safe.

I'm a helicopter parent, too! :oops: :lol:

25. monty_dweezil (GA)

HEHEH, helicopter parent! Yes, I am at times. I am not ashamed! I sometimes will be on the couch and realise I haven't seen Dweezil walk by for a while, so I look around and see he's asleep in the curtains or on the dining table behind a pot, and then I relax...for a while...until I start to worry...IS he just asleep? lol. So I have to get up and stroke him. Usually he doesn't fully wake up but just stretches and flexes his feet, which is so cute. Heheh.

26. monty_dweezil (GA)

Well...tonight was a nightmare. Today was dweezy's glucose curve at the vet, a week after first being diagnosed.

He took his insulin fine there...ate fine...they did the first blood test...and then he would not let anyone anywhere near him for the remainder of the day. He got so terrified he peed and pooped himself on the spot. That makes me SO upset to hear.

So...he went in at 8am and came home, with a big dog cage in case it wasn't safe to have him out and about (safe for us or monty), at 6pm.

He seems fine now. Thank god.

The only good news is his first test result was level 13. Down from 35 a week ago.

The vet has now reduced his dose to 1 unit 12 hours apart.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  27. Larry and Kitties

If you learns to test BG yourself with a human meter then yo can avoid those problems and save money too.

28. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

He has improved; that's great news. More to do, of course.
    Have you picked up a glucometer, test strips, and 26-28 gauge lancetsfor home testing yet? Once you're confidently testing at home, you will be much more in control.

29. monty_dweezil (GA)

We have not. Right now i am in a different state for Christmas and the in laws are staying with my partner. I know that many places are closed until next monday but my partner is going to go and buy a glucometer then i think.

30. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Hmn. As soon as possible, you or your partner need to pick up some urine testing strips - KetoDiaStix, or generic - from the local pharmacy/chemist, and test the urine output. Although much less precise than blood glucose, it will identify ketones, a by-product of fat breakdown. Ketones in excess may lead to diabetic ketoacidosis, a potentially fatal complication of diabetes. If you get the strips that also test urine glucose, you will see if the glucose has been under control since the previous void.

31. monty_dweezil (GA)

I will have my partner pick those up as soon as she can. All this stuff went crazy at 6pm tuesday, wednesday morning i went away interstate, my partner had to work and today it's christmas.

We were waiting till the glucose curve had been done at the vet to get a proper glucometer.

I assume urine strips can be purchased from any pharmacy and are the same as the ones for humans?

32. Larry and Kitties

Yes, you use human urine glucose strips.

33. monty_dweezil (GA)

Thank you. :)

I just heard my partner is going to get a glucometer, strips for it and urine strips on monday. Good.

Our vet is also very happy for dweezil to have the low carb wet foods in the list i got from here. I had printed it out, highlighted the lowest carb ones and my partner showed it to her. So i'm pleased about that too.

34. monty_dweezil (GA)

Ok, so finally an update!!

I'm back home. Dweezil has been doing well with his injections and is eating well and drinking much less and peeing less. However, I'm still concerned as he seems thinner again this week. Last weekend I weighed him (I weighed myself and then again holding him in my arms) and he seemed to be 5.9kg, which is excellent as it's almost at his normal weight. But today, exactly a week later, I weighed him and he seemed to be only 5.5kg, which is a worry if it's accurate. Which it may not be I suppose. He does seem a bit smaller, though nowhere near how he was before his diagnosis when we could feel his spine and his coat was a bit scruffy.

So today we tried to test his blood glucose. And we failed. GRRR. But we'll try again tomorrow. GOD, it's HARD!!!! He was surprisingly patient with us, but after four attempts, he was over it. We didn't want to push him too hard, as we simply cannot have him refuse to let us near him for this purpose, or have him react in a "psychotic" manner to us at home like he did at the vet.

I tried testing myself first, and ended up inadvertently testing my poor finger three times. I am definitely NOT Diabetic though, WOO HOO! lol. I just wanted to make sure I knew how to do everything, and quickly so as to cause as little discomfort and stress to Dweezil as possible.

We tried using the pen on him first. It had worked well on me. There are I think 5 settings for needle gauge and I tried 2 on me first. No blood. So I tried 4. Blood. A good blob when squeezed. It hurt though. So I dialed it back to 3 for him. No blood at all. I couldn't even see where it had gone into his ear, yet I know it had. (before even trying this, we had fed him some of his beloved liver treats while clicking the pen. Soon, whenever the pen clicked right near his ear, he would look at the ground expecting his treats) So I increased it to level 4. This time, still no blood whatsoever. Each time, he would jolt and be like OW! I know it hurts, I did it myself prior.

So we tried the lancet then. First time, BLOOD! YAY! But hardly anything. I tried to squeeze his teeny thin little ear and a bit more came out...but when I put it on the test strip in the glucometer, unfortunately it was maybe only a third of the amount it required to do a reading. SIGH. So we tried again...poor Dweezil, both times, jolted (despite being held closely by my partner) and inhaled sharply. No hissing or anything. No blood at all this time. I had a new test strip ready. That fourth time, he meowed in a way that said "You better stop this right now, or else". He had been getting treats between each attempt. We stopped trying for the day. He was fine afterwards, ate his dinner as normal and took his insulin shot without any notice, thankfully.

We NEED to get this number. I SO am desperate for a reading. We'll buy some urine strips too, just to get some sort of information from that also, even though it's not as useful.

Has anyone here had any success using the pen? I prefer it to the lancet in terms of my own comfort, simply because I don't know how far or hard to do the lancet. I don't want to go through his ear, but I don't want to be poking him and it not being deep enough to get any blood each time.

35. LynRich

LynRich Member

Keep calm *HUGS* you will get the hang of the glucose testing. I got in a terrible state when I first started doing it. We use the Alpha track 2 testing kit & my poor cat Squiggles got poked & prodded til we got the hang of it.

Dweezil sounds fairly forgiving . It wasn't until we got to the end of the 2nd all day 2 hrly blood glucose testing session, that we finally got our technique right. I putting the setting on 3 or 4.

36. monty_dweezil (GA)

Thank you so much for your support!

So you use the pen on 3 or 4 as opposed to the lancet? And it works to get enough blood?

We will be trying again tomorrow. :) Dweezy is such a good boy.

37. Larry and Kitties

Start with the deepest setting on the lancet pen and make sure your firmly back up the ear. I use a cosmetic pad for backup and to fold over to ear after getting the same to stop any bleeding and reduce any bruising. Make sure the ear is warm too.

38. monty_dweezil (GA)

Ok. I will try a cosmetic pad. I have heaps of those. I've heard about stopping the bleeding right away after the sample is taken so as to avoid a bruise, but i can't even imagine there being enough blood for that!

So using the pen on the deepest setting is ok? It won't pierce the ear completely?

Does anyone use the inside of the ear or only the outside? When our vet was showing us how to do it (on her very patient and docile cat), using the outside along the rim and that vein, it did not go well and not enough blood was produced. In the end, they used the inside ear nearish the rim and were more successful.

39. LynRich

LynRich Member

Yes, I use the inside of the ear, near the outside rim, you can sometimes see a thin red vein under the skin. My vet told me to hold the alpha track pen in place for a few seconds, preferably until you see a little drop of blood appearing where the needle's gone in. It shouldn't piece his ear & if you put a cosmetic pad or a folded up piece of paper kitchen towel behind his ear, it'll stop it going through to your finger !

If you can hold the cosmetic pad on the place where the needle went in, once you've finished, it does help prevent a bruise, though squiggles has never had one.

With my glucose meter, if I've put the test strip right in, I have 2 mins between trying to get the drop of blood & the glucose meter switching off, which can be a pain if I've messed things up, because then you have to take the strip out & put it in again :( Which is all very well, but I never seem to have enough hands !

It's good if he eats his food afterwards & I find giving Squiggles a few treats when it's done definitely helps .( & a few before hand to take her mind off it ! ) Good luck, deep breaths, try & stay calm *HUGS*

40. Critter Mom

I have both Alphatrak and Accu-Check Aviva meters. Here's the testing sequence I use. Maybe you might find something in it to help you refine your technique. :)

- Put the test strip the full way into the monitor to check that it's OK. Then slide it back out of the meter just enough for the meter to switch off.

- Have the test station set up with ointment and lancet ready (with or without pricking device), tissue or cosmetic pad to support ear, meter with test strip part way into the meter but not enough to switch the meter on. And the treats, of course! :)

- Warm up your rice sock (or other warming equipment - I used a little plastic tube with warm water in it).

- Prepare kitty's ear with a little Vaseline or Neosporin ointment.

- Start warming the ear. If possible, hold the ear over the rice sock / other warm thing with one hand and slide the test strip into the glucometer with the other hand. (This maximises the amount of time available to get the droplet onto the strip and, if necessary, allows time for more than one lancet prick.) Keep warming the ear until the meter indicate's "Ready to Test."

- Put the cosmetic pad or other support under kitty's ear. It can help to curl both the ear and the support over your index finger, and grip them in place with your thumb and middle finger. Prick the edge of the ear to draw the blood sample. Apply a little pressure in the direction of the blood bead if it's not quite big enough. If you don't get success on the first prick, try a second one. It helps to have the lancet prick the ear at a slight angle rather than perpendicular to the ear.

- I use 4-ply strips* of good quality kitchen paper to support Saoirse's ear. Saoirse doesn't like things inside her ear and the paper strips are neat and easy to handle. I cut up several sheets at a time into strips and keep a little stock of them at her testing station. Once I've taken the blood sample, I fold the strip over the ear and apply gentle pressure for about 30 seconds to help lessen bruising. It should be possible to do the same with a cosmetic pad.

- Then it's treat time. Yay! :D

One tip I've seen here for wriggly cats is to lift the blood bead onto a clean fingernail and then sip up the sample with the test strip. Another tip our vet gave me was to slightly grip the edge of the ear while drawing the sample because it tends to reduce help keep kitty's head from moving about too much and may also reduce the chances of kitty making a bid for freedom mid-test. I've used our vet's tip since I started testing, and it works really well!

* Fold sheet in two, then fold in two again to make a long, slim oblong. Cut into 1" folded strips, ready for testing.)

41. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Even if you DO do that, honey, it's still OK. ;-)
    Many of us have done that (and some of us many times over! But it's 'no biggie', honestly :) )

Eliz

42. Critter Mom

Eliz speaks the truth! Saoirse only needs setting #1 on the Alphatrak lancing device, but sometimes her ditz of a mom accidentally moves the dial to a deeper setting. <embarrassed smiley> I always feel like a complete fink when I find out I've set the pricker too high, but it seems to upset me much, much more than my little Munchkin.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  43. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you absolutely have to, aim for the vein directly. It may bleed a bit, but you'll have your sample. Definitely press and hold to reduce bruising and bleeding afterwards.

44. LynRich

LynRich Member

" One tip I've seen here for wriggly cats is to lift the blood bead onto a clean fingernail and then sip up the sample with the test strip. Another tip our vet gave me was to slightly grip the edge of the ear while drawing the sample because it tends to reduce help keep kitty's head from moving about too much and may also reduce the chances of kitty making a bid for freedom mid-test. I've used our vet's tip since I started testing, and it works really well!

Put the cosmetic pad or other support under kitty's ear. It can help to curl both the ear and the support over your index finger, and grip them in place with your thumb and middle finger. Prick the edge of the ear to draw the blood sample. Apply a little pressure in the direction of the blood bead if it's not quite big enough. If you don't get success on the first prick, try a second one. It helps to have the lancet prick the ear at a slight angle rather than perpendicular to the ear.

If you absolutely have to, aim for the vein directly. It may bleed a bit, but you'll have your sample. Definitely press and hold to reduce bruising and bleeding afterwards. "

Very useful tips everyone, thank you !

45. monty_dweezil (GA)

Well, we tried again yesterday. Dweezil is now highly sensitised to the procedure and dislikes it immensely.

We tried the pen on setting 4. Did the procedure as per the steps above (thank you for those!), his ear was already very warm as he'd been in the window before. He jolted back (as he tends to do) and made a sound in his nose and throat that said I DON'T LIKE THAT!!! OW!!!! I looked at his ear, hoping for blood, but...not a single drop. There was just a teeny tiny little pink dot there. NO BLOOD! I massaged the ear, held the ear, "milked" the ear...NOTHING!!!!

Tried again...and both times before I even could get the pen properly in place, he did his violent jolt backwards and up, away from his own ear, and although my partner was holding him as close as possible, she couldn't stop him doing that, and the second time he did it, he knocked his head into her chin so hard she almost bit her tongue off! He then was meowing in a warning way, so we let it drop for the day. SIGH.

46. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You could try free handing it and ditch the lancet pen. I do that and find it much easier to see and control what I am doing.
    Also, try to aim at a slight angle through the ear, or maybe test on a paw pad.

47. monty_dweezil (GA)

I actually tried with just the lancet needle (without the pen), and poor Dweezil definitely felt it, but...just either no blood at all or not enough. The one time we got some blood we were joyous, but...it was about a quarter of what was needed.

48. LynRich

LynRich Member

Oh no Monty Dweezil, I'm so sorry :( Perhaps it's due to the circulation in his ears. I hope you succeed soon. Have you got to do a whole day's test or just an occasional one ?

49. monty_dweezil (GA)

Our vet saw him have his psycho episode so she just hopes we can somehow get ANY number. Lol. We'd love to get a proper curve all day on a Saturday for instance, but at this point, we'd settle for one reading before his insulin to give at least some idea of his high number, and a reading 6 hours later to get his low number.

50. LynRich

LynRich Member

I'm sure you would :( Could you afford to have him booked in at the vets for the day so they could do a curve ?

51. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Since you're having so much trouble with the blood testing, can you get some KetoDiaStix from the pharmacy and test his urine?
    It isn't as precise as blood glucose, but you will know if either glucose or ketones have spilled into the urine since the previous void, and that is good to know. Ketones, if more than a trace, can indicate diabetic ketoacidosis, a medical emergency, and glucose spilling is an indicator of less control than you may want. See my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for tips on tesing urine, plus other assessments.
    There is an older protocol using water drunk, and urine testing, plus vet data to adjust insulin doses.

52. Critter Mom

If you're freehanding with the lancet, try going in at an angle. Double-check that you have the lancet the right way round - bevelled side facing upwards. Try warming the ear even longer (it felt like it took forever to warm Saoirse's ear enough in the early days).

53. monty_dweezil (GA)

Dweezy's ear was SO hot when we have tried testing him, as he was in the sun. :) He mustn't be a bleeder. I think he was holding onto his blood on purpose. LOL.

Anyway, we are going to get some urine sticks on the weekend and do that, and also try his ear again on Wednesday.

Ahh, and yes, Lyn, we can definitely AFFORD to book him in for the whole day at the vet for a proper curve...he DID actually go to the vet three weeks ago at 8am, to be picked up at 5.30pm, but...they got the first test...and then that's it. They put him in the cat ward out the back between testings, and when they came back for the second one, he freaked out, had what they called a major psychotic episode, was bashing himself against his cage, screaming and yowling, hissing, frothing, and had soiled himself and the walls of his cage with both pee and poop, from the intense fear he was experiencing. Whenever anyone came into the doorway, or he heard their voices just outside the doorway, he'd start screaming. They couldn't get near him.

My partner and her mum went to pick him up at 5.30pm and were given a large dog cage to bring home with him for everyone's safety if he was still freaking out. Once he left the cat ward, he was ok though. Very anxious (when he got home, he was sniffing my face all over and HUGELY clingy, with all wide black eyes) but calm. He was fine since then. No issues.

But this is why we are so concerned, because we don't know anything. He never got a curve done. We can't get any blood from his ear.

I think our options are...

1. Just keep trying the ear, keep him plied with endless treats, and also use the urine sticks
    2. Get our vet to come to our house and take blood from the leg vein (I have heard that this is much less traumatic than trying endlessly to get blood from an ear if it's not working, and also taking blood from the neck vein)
    3. Take him to the vet (which we are in 10 days anyway for his annual checkup and vaccinations), have them try to get blood from him (not the ear) and if that works and he's not freaked out, see if they can somehow do a proper curve WITHOUT him being put in that cat ward.

He's freaked out in similar ways before when he's seen neighbourhood cats outside our balcony doors / windows. He hasn't been SO scared, but he screams and you can't calm him until the cats have gone. He then will get scared and attack his brother Monty if he gets too close, as he doesn't recognise him. We once had to separate them for 8 days. We have had wrapping paper stuck to the bottom half of our windows for the last two years so he can't see any other cats. We are on the ground floor in an apartment block and cannot stop other cats from walking by or sitting on our balcony (the other day a little girl cat was grooming herself on our bench on the balcony. I had to quickly shut the glass doors and draw the curtains so Dweezy wouldn't see her. I can't go out there and shoo her away as then my boys will get out, especially as they'll want to see who's out there).

So maybe being in the cat ward with other cats nearby, being uncomfortable, having blood drawn, being shaved on his neck, and also remembering his previous times there (he'd been there before for surgery on his nose as well as his cornea, as he had been scratching them both due to a skin irritation), was just too much for him, poor little boy. He is ok in the other areas of the vet. The waiting room with other cats (in cages) and dogs...the vet consultation room he's ok. He's also fine when he goes to the cattery whenever we go away. He's been going there for six years with his brother. They can't see the other cats there, but they can hear them.

Anyway...yeah. lol

54. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

55. monty_dweezil (GA)

Thank you so much.

So if urine glucose is 3, we are safe to up his dose from 1 unit (every 12 hours) to 1.5 units? I actually feel (based on some knowledge and intuition about my baby) that 1.5 units would be ideal for him. He was on 2 units for the first week. Got his blood glucose down from 35 (off the charts) to 13. And that 13 was taken at the vet on the day of the failed curve where he freaked out, so his levels were likely lower. Because of this, we reduced the dose to 1 unit.

That was about three weeks ago, and over the past week, he's lost 100 grams, his fur doesn't look QUITE as lush as it did the two weeks prior, he's eating more, drinking more and peeing more. Otherwise he seems like a happy cat. But yes...I feel that his levels have risen and 1.5 units would be great for him.

Do the urine sticks show the measurement in terms of 1-4? Will they show anything if there are no ketones though? We don't want to increase his dose if it's not needed (though I think it is).

56. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

KetoStix test only for ketones.
    DiaStix test only for glucose.
    KetoDiaStix test for both.
    They typically have a set of color ranges for comparison, which might be categorized as 1, 2, etc.
    There are generic versions of these. You may have to find them online.

We suggest dose adjustments be in the 0.25 (eyeballed) unit amounts so you don't miss an optimal dose.

57. monty_dweezil (GA)

Excellent.

I just bought some KetoDiaStix online and they're due to arrive on Thursday. :)

58. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

What gauge are the lancets you are using?

59. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You need to measure the water you put down and subtract what is left when you refill it at least daily, if not twice daily, in addition to the urine testing.
    See my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for some tips on these assessments, as well as other checks you may wish to make, such as dehydration.

60. monty_dweezil (GA)

I had a look at that link before, and was pleased to see that Dweezil is good with his neck skin hydration levels, and his 5 Ps are all good.

We have two water bowls that both cats use (though Dweezil uses one 70% of the time and Monty uses the other about 70% of the time) and have been meaning to start monitoring Dweezil's one. We refill it three times a day as both tend to slop a bit over the edge when drinking. We will have to put a wide dish down underneath to catch that slopped water and add it to the water left UN-drunk, when measuring.

61. monty_dweezil (GA)

Hmm, Deb & Wink, I'd have to check the lancet gauge when I get home as I can't remember. :) I know they're in a yellow type pack.

62. Critter Mom

Just read your post about Dweezil's day at the vets'. Poor little fella! :( It's awful to feel really, reallly scared like that. (((Dweezil)))

I really hope that you'll get a breakthrough with testing soon.

63. monty_dweezil (GA)

Thank you! I think the vets there think he's a highly anxious individual. But he really isn't! He is SO smart and very aware of things, but he's relaxed at home. He just doesn't like being out of his comfort zone. He pants in the taxi going to the vet. He is ok in the waiting room there. Once a huge dog came up and sniffed at Dweezil's cage and Dwee didn't bat an eyelid, heheh. He's good in the consultation room too. He wanders...rubs his face on the computer keyboard...explores the stuff on the desk. Head butts us.

When he's at home, in Summer he likes to stretch out on the glass coffee table and also lay beside the balcony doors for the nice breeze. In Winter he always snuggles on the couch with me. Usually at my feet where he licks the top of my ankles and feet, heheh. It's a glorious foot massage. lol. If I wear a certain fluffy shirt type thing, he comes up into my arms for snuggles (I often wear that shirt. In fact, I always do, just so he'll come for snuggles. lol)

64. Critter Mom

Aw, bless! He's a real sweetie. :D

Thanks for telling us more about Dweezil. It's lovely to hear about more than just the BG numbers. I love getting to know the kitties here, albeit from afar. :) I even give scritches to their avatars. (What am I like!)

65. monty_dweezil (GA)

HAHAHA!! I love that!!

At my work desk here, I've got several pics of my babies pinned up in my cubicle, and I sometimes kiss my hand and touch their faces. We are so lame, but who cares!? LOL

I wish I could upload my pic here as my avatar, but it won't let me as the pics are all too big. I can't shrink them down tiny enough!

Critter Mom likes this.
  66. Critter Mom

:D

It'd be lovely to see a pic of Dweezil. There are a lot of sites online where you can resize images. I normally resize images locally on my PC, but I've recently tried using FotoFlexer - a free online tool for photo editing. It's quite intuitive and easy to use. Maybe you could upload Dweezil's pic and crop/resize it there or on a similar site?

67. monty_dweezil (GA)

Thank you! I will try it. I have managed to resize my pics down a lot, but just can't get them quite to the tiny miniscule under 10kb that the site needs. They start out as about 3000kb! By the time they get down to 20kb they're all distorted and so small they look like one single pixel. lol

68. Critter Mom

Oh, dear! :( Fingers crossed you'll get it sorted.

69. monty_dweezil (GA)

OH! It worked!!! I did it a different way. Went through another avenue to get to my avatar and didn't even have to resize it! WOO HOO! There are my beautiful babies, touching paws on the couch, and on top of my shirt and socks. Monty loves laying on the socks and that's Dweezy's top. Dweezy is the gray and Monty is the ginger, heheh.

ramonaghan likes this.
  70. Critter Mom

Yay! Gorgeous boys!!. :)

I love the paw touching. Very Sistine Chapel! ;)

ramonaghan likes this.
  71. LynRich

LynRich Member

They're gorgeous cats ! I can't put an avatar on here either, nothing works !

72. LynRich

LynRich Member

I've just read your post about Dweezil's day at the vet as well , poor little boy, he got himself in a right state :(

I think your idea of the vet coming to the house might be better , & perhaps taking blood from somewhere else.

Squiggles loathes the vet, she poos in her carrier every time we take her, & goes ballistic if they try & take blood from her neck :(

73. monty_dweezil (GA)

Poor little babies. I just wish we could tell them they'll be ok. I love them all.

74. Deb & Wink

Hi Lyn,

There is a post in the Suggestions, Tech Support, Testing Forum about Avatars. Link to that post is here. If you still have problems getting an avatar up, post a thread in that forum to ask for help.

Here's what I said to someone else:

It's much much easier to add a picture now as your Avatar. No need to shrink the picture down to 90x90 pixels. I simply used a picture from my Pictures folder on my computer, moved it around a bit, and saved it as my new Avatar. I love the fact that the resolution is so much better. In fact, the reason I put up a new picture was because the old Avatar was looking a bit "fuzzy" with the new software.

1. Click on your User name in the upper right hand corner.
    2. Select "Avatar" from the drop down list, 7th down on the left side.
    3. A window pops up, asking you to "Choose a File"
    4. Clicking on the "Choose a File" text took me to my Pictures library on my computer.
    5. Select the picture you want to use.
    6. Click Okay to confirm and you're done.

Sorry to take up space in Dweezil's post, but Conversation wasn't giving me a reply option to answer LynRich privately.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    Critter Mom likes this.
  75. LynRich

LynRich Member

Thanks Debs, that's very helpful !

76. Critter Mom

:bighug:

As they start feeling better, it's amazing the way that they realise all the poking and prodding has something to do with it, and it can bring them even closer to us. And they really do understand the praise and reassurance you give them. They know when they are loved. :)

77. LynRich

LynRich Member

I hope you're right CM I don't think Squiggs appreciates what we're doing at the moment !

78. monty_dweezil (GA)

Neither does Dweezil.

Going to try again with his ear tonight. :)

79. Critter Mom

Fingers and paws crossed it'll go better!

80. monty_dweezil (GA)

Bah. We couldn't try it. My partner got home late due to the buses being stupid, so i had to give Dweez his insulin quite a while before she got home. We'll try tomorrow.

81. Critter Mom

Some ya lose! ;)

82. monty_dweezil (GA)

Some ya sure do! :)

Hopefully today might be more pleasant. We will all get a reward afterwards for this test, regardless of whether it's successful. Dweezil will get his delicious dinner, and we will get to go out for a delicious dinner at a restaurant around the corner from our place. LOL. Woo.

83. Critter Mom

Yay! Treats all round! Have a grand time. :)

Treats for trying to test are just as important as treats for successful tests.

84. monty_dweezil (GA)

Oh I know!!! For him, a failed test and a successful test are the same in terms of the experience. It's only a benefit for us and for him in the long term.

We give him treats a while before we even start getting ready for the test, as we click the pen near his ear and give yet more treats (thank god they're low carb!!! lol), and show him the freehand lancet and give treats.

Then we get ready, have him jump up on the washing machine (it's the easiest accessible place for us and him), have the treats in my partner's pocket, the Accu-Chek on the washing machine, ready with strip half inserted, the pen and lancet ready, and Dweezil...not happy. lol. After every attempt, he gets treats. And he always jumps down to have his treats, but then he will also always jump back up of his own accord to try again (well. For us it's so we can try again. For him it's to get yet MORE treats! lol)

85. Laura13

Laura13 Member

Hi monty_dweezil! Just popping in to say hi, I'm in Brisbane :)

We had heaps of trouble testing Rupert when we were first starting out too, I could poke him but couldn't get any blood. It was so frustrating, I will admit to having tantrums and Rupert hated it just as much. I watched heaps of youtube videos on testing cats and we finally got the hang of it, Rupert still doesn't like it obviously but we all do much better with it, plus he gets a treat afterwards which is a massive bonus. Rupert is also a difficult patient at the vet but fortunately hasn't had a breakdown like poor Dweezil, testing him is a two person job though.

All I can say is approach it calmly and try not to stress, I know that's easier said than done! You will get the hang of it though, plus you have the added bonus of all the amazing helpful people here.

86. monty_dweezil (GA)

Thank you so much!

We will indeed keep trying. I think it'd be easier if after the initial prick, dweezy didn't jerk back so violently. We seem to need 3 people. 2 to hold him and 1 to do the lancing!

I love the name Rupert for a cat!! It is so adorable!

87. Critter Mom

I forgot! Some people sing to their kitties at testing time. :)

I tend to speak in a very upbeat, sing-songy, 'this is fun!!' tone to Saoirse when I'm testing her.

88. monty_dweezil (GA)

Oh, I do that too. I often sing to my babies normally just cause I love singing. lol. And they love hearing it. (they don't really. Sometimes they walk off) LOL

KPassa likes this.
  89. Critter Mom

90. LynRich

LynRich Member

Monty Dweezil, it sounds as if you're getting there with the blood testing ! It's taken us until the end of the 3 round of two hourly all day blood testing to get the routine right & even then we have mishaps. You're doing very well, HUGS to all of you, including Dweezil of course !

I was such a nervous wreck at the end of the first blood testing day I had to have a large gin & tonic !

Critter Mom likes this.
  91. Critter Mom

Good for you, Lyn! Caregivers need treats, too. :)

92. LynRich

LynRich Member

They certainly do CM :)

93. monty_dweezil (GA)

I love treats. Yummo.

94. monty_dweezil (GA)

20140921_155132.jpg Dweezy can't wait for his new ziwipeak low carb wet food to arrive. He wants to go and pick it up himself and is ready to go shopping. Lol

95. LynRich

LynRich Member

Awwww, he's such a cutie !

96. monty_dweezil (GA)

Heheh, he is beautiful!

97. Critter Mom

Aw, sweetie! He's got the loveliest face! :D

98. Deb & Wink

Can you believe it's been just a bit more than a month since you joined FDMB? You have learned so much in that short time. I was reading back over this post, and I can see how much calmer and in control you feel with being able to help Dweezil and help him to feel better.

Keep up the good work!:D:joyful::D:joyful:

Hope Dweezil keeps getting better and better.

He is he doing on his weight?

99. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you'd like, you might start posting in the Lantus/Levemir forum.
    Take a look and see what is there. You can learn a lot from the other folks using Lantus.

100. Blamethecats and Hannah

Blamethecats and Hannah Member

In your photo above, Dweezil looks so much like my little Hannie. Go, Dweezil! I love a man that likes to shop!!!

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.