Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

I feel like for a new person I’m being a board hog :( but you’ve been so helpful and I’m finding myself stressing over probably dumb stuff.
    Gretchen’s BG was 500 today, he said I missed on this mornings dose. I gave her a fur shot. She has gained a slight amount so he thinks I’m getting some in.
    He did give me diabetic syringes and now I’m worried cause the insulin bottle says use U100 and he gave me U40’s. The dose amount looks like SO much more than the TB syringe was...maybe it’s that much smaller in diameter?
    Another concern is going back to my schedule again, he said to test 6 hours after injection. I leave home at noon and work until 11, getting back home around midnight. I get next to no sleep during my 4 work days. He said to set an alarm and get up.,, this really isn’t an option for me.
    The stress of all this is starting to eat me :(
    I know there are lots of different opinions and I guess I’m wanting to hear “6 hours after isn’t exact and it can be done in longer period”
    Oh geez I thought of another question so editing ...I’ve been giving her shots about halfway through her meal while she’s eating. That would work at night when I come home...but on her morning dose can I give an hour after she eats? It actually might be easier to do both after she eats.....

2. PiePie

PiePie Member

I'm not in a place to give you advice, I've only been here for two weeks, but I can tell you that I feel exactly the same way. Stressed, sad, and worried that I'm not testing enough and asking lots of questions. I am trying to do best that I can and making sure both my boys know that I love them.
    BUT- make sure you check the dosing with the needles. I think there is a conversion chart on here somewhere, that was one thing the vet made very clear to us regarding the insulin bottle and the needles.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Please DO NOT use U40 syringes for U100 insulin! You’d be giving TOO MUCH insulin.

4. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

That’s w
    That I was worried about...I won’t for sure now! I looked at website on needle package and it’s the link someone here gave me. I hope they are fast. The TB syring looks like way less a dose than these U40’s! Why would he give me these???

5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Do you have a pharmacy near you? You can buy u100 syringes at a human pharmacy.

6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Oh, and never ever feel bad about asking all of your questions! We were all beginners at this once and asking questions is how we learned (and keep learning). :bighug:

Bellasmom likes this.
  7. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I was just coming back on to find link, yes I do. Now I’m all paranoid that this vet is kind of careless. He’s an old guy and very popular and well liked in the area- but geez! I could have killed her had I used the U40. Now I’m clueless at what and how much to give

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

So glad you caught that syringe mistake! You would have been giving 2.5x the prescribed dose!!!! Return those to the vet immediately and make sure they are told about the error. U 40 are used with vetsulin and ProZinc, but not Novolin N. ... You need u100 syringes. Where did you order from, Adwdiabetes.com?

We are here for you. The best way to know how much to give her and if it's too much or not enough is through home testing. Sounds scary but I assure you it's not that difficult (unless your cat doesn't allow handling)). If you would like a shopping list of exactly what you need let me know and I'll write that up for you. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

If you could add some info to your signature that would be helpful so we don't have to ask you the same questions repeatedly.

To do that click on your name at the top right corner and choose signature. Add info such as your pets name, age, weight, date diagnosed, insulin type and dose, food you're feeding, and any other health concerns, medications and supplements. Save when done.

Kris & Teasel and Bellasmom like this.
  9. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

10. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Ugh that did not work right at all above.

11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Haha I got it. Good job getting the signature in place.

12. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I’ll try to figure out how to highlight sections if I am slow at work today :) i did that for something else and just deleted my “test posts” :joyful::joyful:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.