? I’m terrible at giving insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Margie and Jackson, May 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

i give fur shots all the time. I have watched videos and tried various locations for the injection, but I still give a lot of bad shots. My cat is more cooperative than you could hope for. He basically assumes the position after he eats and doesn’t flinch throughout the process. He’s not a long-haired cat either. I’ve only done this for about a month, but that’s a lot of wasted insulin. Any words of wisdom for me?

I’m not even sure how I’m messing it up. Maybe it’s going in one side and out the other? Is it possible for insulin to leak out the injection site?

2. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

A shorter needle works for me, no way it is coming out the other side. Also, shaving a spot where you shoot works great. I always do that when the pet sitter has to give the shots.

Margie and Jackson likes this.
  3. Margie and Jackson

You’re also supposed to rotate the location of the shot, right? Many videos just instruct to shoot in the scruff.

Shaving is a good tip, I’ve been wondering if that would help.

4. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, you should not shoot in the exact same spot every time. I like to switch from the left or right scruff areas and in different parts of the scruff as long as I get some good tenting when I lift his skin. It is amazing how much easier it will be if you shave a spot or two.

5. Justin & Sebastian

Justin & Sebastian Well-Known Member

People say to switch spots but I think it depends on the spot. I shot the scruff on the back of his neck exclusively for years and years with no trouble. When Sebastian lost a lot of weight I was no longer able to get a good pinch there and started using the side of his belly and at that location I definitely noticed the build up of tissue after just a week and had to switch to his hip. So I think it depends on the spot, some are going to be more prone to tissue build up than others.

Also, the shorter needle works wonders. I was getting my syringes from the vet (not recommended, so expensive) that had a long needle until one day they were out and I had to get them from Walgreens, which had a shorter needle. Made a world of difference. I never had much trouble before but it was still vastly easier with the shorter needle, so much easier to get in.

6. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

7. Margie and Jackson

8. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Can confirm the link Julie and Honey posted, I just found that thread yesterday and tried it out today - SO much easier. I have a very thin longhaired kitty so there's a lot of fur and not much skin but this really helped.

I also alternate the spot where I inject, but I'm kinda forgetful where I last shot so I made myself a log to keep on the fridge to mark the time and area each time. I've attached it in case it's any use to you as well. :)

Attached Files:

9. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I did both my cats in the flank while they laid on their side using the tent. I found it too hard/scary doing a scruff shot on a long hair.

injsitesforcats1.jpg

10. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

I had a couple fur shots with Fena, usually when I was tired or in a rush or she was fussing. All of the posts above are AWESOME - here's some extra tips:

Always shoot with your dominant hand and always parallel to the body.

With your non-dominant hand and you're tenting the skin, go off center of the scruff - nearer the shoulder areas - it's thinner (via feel) and tents easier, same with off each hip.

I used my thumb and middle finger to pinch and pull up to make the 'tent' then I would 'test' it with my index finger (all on the same hand) to determine a good spot. It should feel kind of hollow, "sail" like.

Then shoot with the dominant hand, parallel to the body. NOT flat against the body, up a bit so you hit the 'hollow' tent space but still parallel and definitely use a short needle.

Also don't inject quickly, never ever fast. Just slow and steady. Sometimes doing it too fast causes a pressure blow back and makes a fur shot. Once it's injected, remove the needle then SLOWLY release the 'tented' skin and gently, lightly, rub the area in a slightly circular motion but DON'T press down - do it lightly.

Good luck!! xxx

11. Julie and Honey

You are lucky your cat lets you do all those spots, I just try to stay out of her line of sight with the needle these days, lol. Nice chart.

12. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Haha for that I can hand it to her, my girl has always been pretty tolerant of me manhandling her, I probably just started super young because when she was little I was always picking stuff out of her fur. XD The other day she was feeling a lot more like herself and she gave me a good swat when I went for her belly so it might be short-lived. xDD

13. Margie and Jackson

One day I hope to give successful shots all over the cat. Now I’m more or less doing right shoulder-left shoulder. I was really getting fur shots with flank shots. I don’t know why.

14. Margie and Jackson

Thanks for all the detail. That’s very helpful

15. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

If I shoot quickly, I can't feel the needle go in. Going slow allows me to feel when it pierces the skin - sort of like going through butter if I get the right spot. When I get a spot that feels tough, I go somewhere else. If I try to shoot quickly, I wouldn't even realize that the skin was too tough where I'm trying to inject. Yep... go slowly.

16. Margie and Jackson

I thought you should pierce the skin quickly so it didn’t hurt. I also really worry about repositioning the needle and making it hurt. Honestly though, the cat never seems that bothered.

17. Julie and Honey

I have always heard to put the needle in quickly as the nerves are at skin level and if done quickly they won’t feel it, I have always had that experience, she never feels the needle go in but occasionally will complain when the plunger is pressed and insulin goes in, just think it is if it is sometimes still a little cold.

I know there is an article on shooting somewhere here that actually mentions doing the needle quickly, but I could not find it.

18. BBelshan

BBelshan Member

My cat has medium hair (shorter on top, longer on bottom) so instead of grabbing skin, I am able to just grab hair and lift. Does your kitty have tight skin or is it loose? If it's a bit loose you might could angle the needle slightly down - less chance of poking through to other side.

19. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

I got curious about this and looked it up. It appears that "smooth, swift motion" is most encouraged. But I also read an article that said "gently." Not too surprising to think that this may be another example of every cat is different (along with the differences in the humans who shoot them). It's interesting...
    My biggest reason for choosing slow is because I get less fur shots, as I am able to feel it go in when I go slow. Even though he's a short hair, it's impossible to see his skin when I shoot. (Which I haven't done for a few days now because he's on an OTJ trial. But shhh... I don't want to jinx anything.)

20. Julie and Honey

If your cat does not mind, would say stay with what works. I don’t think most cats would allow if they can feel it go in and will let you know if they are not happy about it:arghh:

21. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

That's a very valid point! My Jack is a little weirdo, in a good way. Slow and easy, in every area of his little nervous world, works best for him. :nailbiting:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.