I'm Terrified!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SAVING MISS OE, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SAVING MISS OE

SAVING MISS OE New Member

Just brought my girl Olivia home after a 5 day stay at a Vet hospital. Ketoacidosis....I thought I was gonna lose her. Well we are home now and between glucose tests and hesitant injections my anxiety is through the roof, over the sun and past heaven. Please tell me it gets easier. Please tell me I wont stare at her and follow her to make sure she is alive forever....

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome. It WILL get better! Was she just diagnosed while at the hospital?

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You can do this. Once you're over this crisis and her numbers settle you will feel better. We are here for you. Are you doing OK with home testing?

4. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

It gets easier honestly. The beginning of the fd journey is overwhelming and nerve wrecking but this community will help you gain confidence and before you know it you'll have a handle on it. This community is fantastic, open encouraging and so so helpful. Welcome to the group.

5. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Olivia!

Lots to learn, but great support here. Many of us were very stressed when we found out too. It gets easier, just remember that your cat knows when you are stressed, so try to relax and she will relax too:cat:

If you are already home testing you are off to a good start! Sometimes it is not an easy process, there are tips here to help make it less stressful for you and your kitty.

Type of food she eats cat also greatly affect blood sugar. Best for diabetic kitties is low carb wet food under 10% carbs. If she is not already on a low carb diet, we can help you transition. Needs to be done gradually because switching from high to low carb can drop sugar quite a bit and insulin needs to be adjusted accordingly.

The yellow stickies at the top of each board have a lot of great info.

We also use a spreadsheet to log blood test results to help track how your cat is reacting to a specific dose of insulin. Once you are a little settled in you can get that set up to track her test results.

One thing that would also help is if you can set up a signature with particulars like your kitty’s weight, diagnosis date, type of food, other health conditions, type of insulin, etc. this will help other members to answer your questions and not have to repeatedly ask about the basics of your cat.

Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

Once signature is set up it will be easier to assist with advice.

You can post future health related questions to the main Health forum. There are also specific insulin forums with knowledgable folks for what type of insulin you are using. This is mostly an intro area. :)

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

What a rough start! We are here to help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.