Im thinking of adopting newly diagnosed diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Blodg, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blodg

Blodg New Member

My Sister-in-laws cat has been recently diagnosed with diabetes. She is unable to afford the costs associated with this (she is already taking care of a 5 year old child that is type 1 diabetic and having other financial issues). I approached my husband with the thought of adopting the cat (the cat has lived in our household before - do to housing issues that my sister-in-law had). However, I'm unsure what we would be getting into if we did. We are not financially sound, but we do have more means than her. I also feel as though (especially with a nephew diagnosed) that diabetes shouldn't be a death sentence or a reason to give up on the cat. I have been reading some things about it on felinediabetes.com to get better informed. Thinking I may give the vet a call in the morning. Not sure if only diet regulation is needed or if the cat will need insulin shots. Any thoughts about the amount of time and money needed to take care of a diabetic cat?

My sister-in-law said the vet metioned about $100 for 6 months (didn't seem like a bad cost to me), but reading some of the things on the website, it seems like it would cost more. . .

Thanks in advance!

2. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

Good for you! From what I keep hearing, many cats can get significant improvements with a switch to canned food with high protein and minimal carbs. Otherwise, Lantus insulin costs about $100 for a vial. The syringes are pretty affordable, but the other significant cost are strips that are used with your blood glucose meter. There's a great and relatively affordable meter & strips by ReliOn - available at walmart. Strips are about $20 for a 50-count container.

I must share my experience with the diet issue. The power of high-protein/low-carb food cannot be underestimated. I realize I may be in the minority, but my cat Stinky did a complete turnaround by my switching him from dry food to Merrick canned food (with flavors that are <6% carbs). His BG levels were off the charts when diagnosed two weeks ago. Immediate diet change and several days on Lantus - and today he's on his fourth day without insulin... and doing great. Not saying that this is common, but it shows that a switch from dry (and yes, we used the fancy stuff available only from the vet's office - don't let 'em fool you) to low-carb wet was beyond beneficial for my cat.

I just love that you are stepping up for a cat who cannot help itself. Kudos to you.

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Good for you!!

High protein, low carbohydrate canned or raw food is best - grain free. Many cats become diabetic from years of eating dry food. No need to buy prescription food from the vet -- read www.catinfo.org and check out "Janet & Binky's Food Charts" (google - I don't have the link handy)

Insulin is the best treatment, and there are several good ones - PZI, Lantus and Levemir. PZI is perhaps the least expensive though I'm not sure. I use Levemir for my two diabetic cats (adopted through this board after my first diabetic, Norton, passed away from cancer)
    PZI and Levemir can be used to the last drop -- Lantus will sometimes go bad before the container is empty.
    To help it last longer, we recommend Levemir or Lantus in 3ml cartridges (come in a 5-pack) -- that way less is wasted when it loses strength.

Home testing your kitty's blood sugar will save on vet expenses and help you treat the kitty's diabetes most effectively.

Human diabetic supplies are less expensive than "pet" supplies purchased from the vet.

Many cats, with a diet change and a few weeks or months of insulin (to let the pancreas rest and heal) can go off insulin.

So - most of us use human syringes, lancets, glucose testing meters and even human insulin (Lantus & Levemir).

I buy my supplies from http://www.hocks.com and order enough to get free shipping: (orders over $79 get free shipping)
    200 syringes = $35 (Monoject 31ga 3/10cc w/ half unit marks)
    300 lancets = $ 4.50 (Invacare)
    300 test strips = $99 ($16.50 per 50ct) Maxima AST
    (Meter kit is $34 and comes with 100 test strips)

these quantities are enough for 100 days with some extra test strips & lancets
    If you shop Walmart, you may find some better deals --

Levemir from Walmart in Canada cost $120 for a 5-pack, which will last over a year

4. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

Blodg -

Also read this from Dr Pierson's site - it'll answer a lot of your questions. This is the doctor that advised me and helped get my cat into great shape. It's long, but you should definitely read the entire section

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=felinediabetes

5. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Just think of what you could teach your nephew about feline diabetes if you gave kitty a home and treated him. Many of us have adopted because of the diabetes, sometimes more than one kitty also.

6. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Good for you Blodg. You are a hero in my eyes should you adopt your SIL's diabetic cat.

Lantus also can be mail ordered from Canada for $125 for 5 3ml pens/cartridges. They last alot longer than the 10ml vial for $100.

Otherwise, Phoebe has given you an excellent breakdown on costs.

Best to you, DH, and the cat.

7. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Hi

I live in Sweden and I have had my cats Gustav (15 yrs) and Simba (14 yrs) since 1995 and 1996 respectively. When Simba got diabetes in 2006 when he was 10, I also had no idea what I got myself into by starting to give him insulin. Kind of traumatic if anyone ask me, since Simba and I not only had the shots to get used to, we also got a severe hypo down at 14 mg/Dl (0.8 mmol), a severe staphyloccous infection all over his face, a severe pancreatitis inflammation, and ketoacidosis, and me falling down the staircase and injuring myself, to tackle along side too. One of our biggest problems has also been finding the best and right syringes here in Sweden. They are none existing here, so I ordered from http://www.diabetespromotion.com, a US based firm, but since this year, the Swedish Customs have compounded the shipment and sent it back to the sender with explanation that importing syringes isn't allowed.

I've used two different insulin, Insulatard and Lantus. They are very different in how they act. Insulatard is a short acting insulin with peaks one can measure with the blood glucose meters, while Lantus is a long acting insulin that goes into a steady state instead. It is also easier to counteract a hypo when on Insulatard, than on Lantus. This is however stuff you will be taught by the others here.

I also had to quit homestesting after I injured myself, my arms and hands are shaking so much it is just a hazard for Simba. So now he is monitored by 1. previous experince from all the testing we had done, and 2. with a fructosamin test at the vets every half year (a long term, 3 weeks blood glucose test). He is on 5 IE (units) of Lantus twice a day, morning and night, but that is because he is eating dry food as well, then he needs more insulin.

If you want to know my cost they are

Insulin:
    Insulatard, vial 184 Kr/€ 19/ $ 24
    Lantus, vial 394 Kr/ € 40/ $ 51

Insulin syringes:
    BD Micro-Fine+Demi half-units, 100 syringes 165.50 Kr/ € 17/ $ 21.50

Then I also have different test sticks, but don't know off the hat how much they costs

Ascensia Contour blood glucose meter with Microfill test sticks, 50 sticks - for testing blood glucose
    Abbott Precision Xtra blood ketone meter with test sticks, 10 sticks - for testing blood ketones (b-ketones)

PTS Lipid Panel, 15 sticks - for testing blood fat

Keto-Diabur-Test 5000, 50 sticks - for testing the urine glucose
    Multistix 10 SG. 100 sticks - for urin analysis

It is always worst in the beginning and I have had to learn and read up on heaps of new stuff, but if it wasn't for all the persons on this site and board, it would have been much worse. I am very grateful and are sure you will find this board very helpful too.

I hope the best for the kitty.

Ann

8. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Hurray for you. I have adopted two diabetic cats in addition to having two other diabetic cats and never regretted it. If the vet prescribes Lantus, ask for a script for either the cartridges or Solostar pens. The initial cost is about twice that of a vial, but because the containers are smaller and you get 5 of them, it lasts 5 times longer. You should be able to get about a year's worth of insulin for a fraction of the cost compared to buying it in vials.

Hometesting will also help immensely in getting the cat regulated and also limit the unnecessary trips to the vet just to have curves done. This can be done with any human glucose meter. A good meter that is not expensive to use is Walmart's Relion brand meter.

Diet also will help, but you do not need prescription foods - even if the vet tries to tell you otherwise. Many of us feed our cats either Fancy Feast or Friskies canned foods and our cats do well on it.

9. RuBee

RuBee Member

Blogd, I think you're wonderful. :) It's one thing to have and love a cat who becomes diabetic, but it's another thing entirely to see a diabetic cat (which you clearly already care about) and want to bring him into your home so he'll be safe and happy. You're good people. :lol:

As for the cost of supplies - well, it's hit me hard this month, but that's only because I'm new at testing and didn't have a good grasp on the amount of supplies I'd need for Rufus. September will be a much better, much more organized month for us. I've made up my start-of-the-month shopping list, and - to give you an impression of the kind of quantities you might need - the part that I think you're most concerned about looks a little like this:

200 test strips (Ascensia Contour, I already have 50 coming today. Next time I may need more than 200. The reason for this is potential emergencies. Hopefully, with a regimented 5-6 tests a day, I'll use under 200 strips in a month. But you have to keep in mind that you should be performing occasional curves ( :oops: ) and there's always the possibility of having a "bad day" - I've done as many as 14 tests in one day.)
    200 Syringes
    200 Lancets
    ... and a whole bunch of other things related to Rufus' care, but not his testing (i.e. diet).

I'd love it if I could find a one-stop-shop for Rufus' needs, but in truth, I'm not in that kind of position - the best price from the most reliable source always wins me over, so my costs will tend to vary from time to time. The websites I usually frequent are Amazon.com, eBay, and American Diabetes Wholesale - Hocks was already mentioned. Since Amazon.com uses third party sellers, If you're going to use Amazon or eBay, please ALWAYS check seller ratings first. :cool:

I don't want to get the thread off-track, but I was looking at these syringes myself - do you like the Monoject type? I've been looking EVERYWHERE for a syringe with a small-gauge, 1/2" needle and 1/2 unit markings - they have one, but I don't want to buy a whole load of syringes and have to send them back because they come apart/bubble up/etc.

10. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

There are at least 3 manufacturers of syringes with these specifications
    31ga, 3/10cc, half unit markings

GNP - cheapest - I did not like them, but others here do use them
    Monoject - next up in price & quality ~$1 or $2 more per 100ct
    BD - the cadillac of syringes - very well made and cost is much higher

there may be other manufacturers - these I've used -- I buy the Monoject as "good enough" quality and good price.

11. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Blodg - you are a wonderful person.

12. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I think it is wonderful what you might be doing for this kitty! We use the relion meter from wal mart and buy the strips from wal mart (it's the only place you can get them) The strips are 50 for $20.00 and the lancets are 100 for $4.00 BUT we also do price shopping and sometimes our Kroger store will have their store brand lancets and test strips on sale, so we price match at wal mart. Just this last week we bought four boxes of lancets that are normally $3.94 EACH, but Krogers had theirs on sale 10 for $10.00, so we got 400 lancets (4 boxes) for the price of what one box would normally cost us! We have also learned that every now and then when we have a few extra dollars to our name, we stock up on what we can get with those extra dollars .. that way it doesn't hit us all in one week ... you will find your rhythm ...

13. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

That really depends on the cat. If all you need is insulin shots and a glucometer set up, the costs can be quite manageable.

However, some cats do suffer from additional complications of the disease. My cat went through 2 bouts of ketoacidosis and also came down with chronic pancreatitis. His initial ICU stay was over $2500. With all of his health issues combined, I probably spent a minimum of $2000-$3000 per year on his vet costs alone--not including the supplies needed to are for him at home. Has treatment been started at all yet? The longer a cat goes without treatment, the higher the chance of seeing additional complications. Be sure that you're equipped to handle any emergencies that may come up.

I would want to see all of the vet records and talk to either their vet or yours about ruling out other problems with this cat. (how his his kidney function, etc?) I don't regret a single cent that I spent on Boo but I'll also be quite happy if I never have to go through that again.

14. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

If you need 1/2 inch needles and half unit markings, the only ones available are in 29 guage. I think the reason is that a 1/2 inch needle would bend too easily with a 30 or 31 gauge needle. I used the Monoject 29 gauge 1/2 inch with half unit markings. I bought them from AmericanDiabetesWholesale.com for around $13/box of 100. These insulin syringes work great for Levemir. I tried them with Lantus and got too many stubborn air bubbles that would not go away.

15. RuBee

RuBee Member

Thank you so much for the bubble warning. Maybe I should just ditch the 1/2 unit markings. I can pretty much have my choice of syringes if I forget about the markings. I have a very good eyeball. That, and Rufus' dose is going back up to 1U for the time being. Hmm... Sounds good to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.