1. Are you getting a server error? It should be solved. Email webmaster@felinediabetes.com if you're still having trouble!
  2. Calendar Fundraiser is starting! Check out this CALENDAR LINK to learn more!!

I'm thinking of taking in another feral

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by Maaryon, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maaryon

Maaryon Member

I need some feedback. As you may know my diabetic cat Topaz is feral but now I have another "stray" cat in my backyard. I have been feeding him and now are going to trap and spay him. The question is, will he stop spraying once spayed? Do cats automatically learn to use the kitty litter? He has made it into the house by accident a few days ago and of course sprayed all over the place. What a stench! He may just remain an outside cat after spaying however, if he wants to become a inside cat, how do they learn to use the kitty litter and do male cats stop spraying once neutered??

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Senior Member Moderator

INMO, female ferals can also be sprayers and majority of ferals I trapped over the years and neutered used the litter box. Vinnie, the diabetic I just adopted from RI, was neutered end of Jan. Somewhere between the age of 5-8 years old. He is faithful with the litter box and squats all the time. I have the "Twins" that I pulled from a woodpile 3 years ago as babies, about 5 weeks old. Both females, both use the box but as they start to urinate they slowly move up and end up standing. I have plexiglass behind boxes and incontinent pads underneath to help with the cleaning and save the floor. Good luck and I have to add...those male ferals, especially the ones that take months to trust, turn out to be the best pets but usually only trust the person that worked with them.

3. Maaryon

Maaryon Member

So true. I tried to get him to accept my daughter but when she approached he took off. He is a large cat so I'm not sure how old he is. If he continues to spray he will have to stay outside.

4. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

About 10% of males will still spray post neuter, and 5% of females.

We have a cat now at the shelter that was allowed outside and was spraying the outside perimeter of the yard and when they tried to bring him in he kept doing it around the outskirts of the house. It is frequently a territory marking thing and being late neutered sometimes its not so much neutered or not, but the behavior of territory marking that they cant let go of. But, I would give it a shot. It may take time for the hormones to lessen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.