Impacted anal glands are causing problems for Buddy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Teresa & Buddy, Jan 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

Buddy, has been having problems with constipation, his vet thought it was caused by his pain meds and wanted me to cut back some on his pain meds. I took him in to see his vet and she said, Buddy had impacted anal glands and she felt as though it was caused by his constipation, and she expressed out his anal glands. At this time I think his anal glands are bothering him again, at times there is a bad smell coming from him and he looks dirty around his back end (it has most of the hair shaved off by vet staff). He has been constipated, so I am giving him lactulose, not as much as the vet had me give him previously which caused his stool to be watery and I have cut back on his buprenorphine, does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to help his anal glands or something that has worked in the past.

2. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

I've always suggested Miralax mixed with their food. 1/8 spoon with each meal and adjust as necessary. Dusty would always get constipated with Fancy Feast so it made a huge difference for him.

Teresa & Buddy likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Does Buddy drink much water? Looks like he's getting a dry food diet. Water helps things "move", another reason wet or raw food diets are better.

We did have one member here who learned how to express her kitties anal glands, taught by her vet cause it happened fairly regularly.

For constipation, here is another website for all you wanted to know https://felineconstipation.org/

4. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy drinks a lot of water, he likes ice water, I put a lot of ice cubes in his water and he likes to play with the ice also. I will look at the website for constipation, I appreciate getting to see this website. Have you ever hear of anything that would help the anal glands besides expressing them.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

A raw food diet. Full disclosure, I had a kitty on a raw diet who still occasionally had gland problems. But maybe less so than if not.

6. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you, I do have Miralax here at home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.