911 In need of some advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SUHPERDAVE, Mar 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SUHPERDAVE

SUHPERDAVE New Member

HELLO,

CHECK OUT PARIS'S SS. TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK.
    HER APPETITE HAS BEEN DECREASING AND SHE WOULDN'T EAT THIS MORNING WITH HER BLOOD SUGAR AT 382. SHE'S BEEN HAVING LOOSE STOOLS FOR ABOUT A MONTH AND WE HAVE TRIED ANTIBIOTICS, PROBIOTICS, A CHANGE OF FOOD TO ONLY SEE THINGS GETTING WORSE. I AM WAITING FOR MY VET TO RETURN MY CALL. ANY ADVICE IS PARAMOUNT AND APPRECIATED. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

2. BBelshan

BBelshan Member

Which insulin are you using? That dose seems very high and doesn't seem to help the numbers much. Maybe ask the vet if you can switch?

3. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

I agree. You are using way too much insulin. You may be making more problems that way. The numbers are not that high from what I have seen. We need to give insulin predicated on the low numbers primarily. Watch for the bounce. Get your curves done to see what is going on.

4. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Was she just diagnosed? Does she have an infection? What food are you feeding? Is she on any other medicine or have any other health issues?

5. SUHPERDAVE

SUHPERDAVE New Member

She has acromegaly thus the high dose of Lantus

BBelshan likes this.
  6. BBelshan

BBelshan Member

Is the vet addressing the acromegaly? Any radiation therapy?

7. SUHPERDAVE

SUHPERDAVE New Member

No as it’s too costly for me. We are treating the secondary effects of acromegaly

8. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

It would be very helpful if you would create a signature so we can see kitty's info when you post:
    (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

9. SUHPERDAVE

SUHPERDAVE New Member

Added the requested information thanks again

Idjit's mom likes this.
  10. BBelshan

BBelshan Member

Thanks for updating your signature. I hope others with similar cats can chime in and offer any tips you haven't already tried. Have you heard back from your vet?

11. SUHPERDAVE

SUHPERDAVE New Member

Yes. She’s going in today to check for pancreatitis, keyatones IBD. She’s eating today her whole breakfast but it too her 5 hours to eat. No diarrhea or vomiting since yesterday. She’s drinking water too. I gave her 4.5 units of insulin today because of her lower reading of 214 and that she had only eaten 1/3 of her can of food

BBelshan likes this.
  12. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

How is she doing?

13. SUHPERDAVE

SUHPERDAVE New Member

Still having diarrhea. Sugar is good and not spilling out into urine. No signs of a Ketones either. The vet did a complete blood panel so we’re waiting for the results of that to come back as well as the urine cultures. Possible pancreatitis or IBS

14. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Did the vet give you any meds? Pain meds, anti nausea, appetite stimulant... subQ fluids would probably help too and are easy to give at home.

15. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

It would be a very good idea to come to the Lantus Forum. The People there are "Experts" on Lantus Insulin.
    Her glucose looked very good Yesterday. Could be from the increase. The people on the Lantus/Levemir forum can advise you on the correct dose.

Good luck to you & Paris :) :bighug:

16. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Has she been eating the DM the last month? It’s possible both she and her body no longer like it. There are many good low carb foods that are commercially available and good for diabetics. GI issues are not uncommon for acros. At some point you might want to get the Texas A&M GI panel done. Or at least get her folate and b12 tested to see if she needs supplementation. That panel also includes a test for pancreastitis. Testing for IBD usually starts with an ultrasound then goes to an endoscopy or surgical biopsy. Novel proteins can help IBD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.