In Remission??????? My nam

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Angela C Wright, Jan 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angela C Wright

Angela C Wright New Member

01/13/2020. Hello. My name is Angela C. Wright. My cat RODNEY had been diagnosed DIABETIC on
    12/12/19. He was started on VETSULIN @ 1st on 12/12/19. 2 Units 1x per day. Then
    3Units 1x per day. I switched Vets for lack of concern from diagnosing vet. New VET says VETSULIN only lasts 12 hours and almost always requires 2 doses per day.
    New dosage:
    3 units VETSULIN
    EVERY 12 HOURS
    WITH FOOD.
    (2X PER DAY)

I took RODNEY in today because he has not let me give him his shot since
    Thursday (01/09/2020). But has not been showing any CLINICAL SIGNS(excessive thirst and urination). So I took a dose with me to VET So they could help me and show me how to do his shot since I am new at this. So. I asked them to check his BG before we gave him his shot. BG was 234, and he had not had a shot in 3 days. Upon original diagnosis. RODNEY WAS SWITCHED FROM A COMPLETELY DRY DIET(KIT N KABOODLE) TO A COMPLETELY WET DIET (FANCY FEAST CLASSIC PATE). THE VET SENT US BACK HOME WITH THE DOSE OF INSULINE SAYING THAT THE CHANGE IN FOOD MAY HAVE MADE THE DIFFERENCE. I HAVE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO TO MONITOR HIS WATER INTAKE OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS . HE IS SCHEDULED FOR A GLUCOSE CURVE ON JAN. 24TH. IT IS NOW ON HOLD PENDING MONITORING OF WATER INTAKE. IF HE DRINKS 1/2 TO 1 CUP PER 24 HRS. THAT IS NORMAL FOR A CAT HIS WEIGHT ON A WET DIET. HE MAY NOT B DIABETIC. INITIAL #S MAY HAVE BEEN DUE TO HIGH CARB DIET OF DRY FOOD. WE WILL C. WILL POST UPDATES. THANK YOU.

2. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Hello Angela and Rodney!

I find reading all caps very difficult, but I gave it my best shot. There's a lot of good information on this forum. And a lot of ways that experienced sugar cat owners can help you. However, one BGL reading isn't really enough for anyone reading to form an opinion. 234 is still sounds high, though I don't know what type of meter was used. Have you considered testing his blood sugar at home? A good place to start getting help from members here is this thread- New? How You Can Help Us Help You!
    Changing his diet was certainly a smart move, though if you changed it all at once, testing for ketones might be wise. Did your new vet test for ketones?

I'm so happy Rodney is doing better, and wish both of you all the best!

3. Angela C Wright

Angela C Wright New Member

Hello Juls and Billy. Thank you for your input. The food has been switched since original diagnosis on 12/12/2019. As I mentioned. I changed vets. The new VET used the blood work from the previous VET as initial costs were high. ($581 for 1st visit to previous VET). So to truthfully answer your question I DON'T KNOW. His initial BG on the say of diagnosis was 424. The new VET thinks that the diagnosing vet may have jumped the gun by saying RODNEY is DIABETIC. I started monitoring water intake for 24 hrs today when we got home from VET. So. We will c. Vets don't seem 2 know as much as they should about feline diabetes. I have been researching it myself. I went to the VETSULIN WEBSITE. It is extremely informative. I am new and trying to learn everything I can. I am single and have no children. Therefore RODNEY IS MY COMPANION. He is only 3 YRS old. I cannot imagine losing him yet. So any and all input you have for me will b greatly appreciated.
    Thank you very much. I am going to check out the page you suggested right now.
    Angela and RODNEY the KAT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.