In Remission - Recent vomiting concern

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ColbysMom, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColbysMom

ColbysMom New Member

My cat Colby was diagnosed Diabetic in January. After a month on insulin his sugar dropped incredibility low and I had to rush him to the emergency vet. We reduced his dosage but his sugar remained low (50s) which was consistent when we did a curve. We stopped administering insulin considering we were down to 1u twice a day at that point. He has gained back some of the weight he lost and there have been no signs (frequent urination, excessive thirst or eating) and everything has seemed good. But the past few days he has been vomiting. The first time I wasn't home (about a week ago) and I wasn't sure which cat it was. Two nights ago he through up during the night and just vomited quite a bit just now. So even though everything else seems fine I'm a little concerned considering his health history and I am interested in any feedback/thoughts?

2. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi, I can understand your concern -- congrats on remission!! What are you feeding? What does kitty vomit up?

3. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Have you been home testing? What are his current bg #s?

4. ColbysMom

ColbysMom New Member

I am feeding him Friskies canned varieties with low carbs and Purina One Healthy Weight Formula dry food. It seems this diet works as he went into remission two weeks after my slight alternation of his diet. He has put back on the weight he lost and there has been no signs of his previous symptoms of excessive thirst or urination. But the past week he seems to be throwing up once a day and his feces are particularly rancid. Home testing is definitely not an option. I live alone and he wins that fight. I tried so many times until I cried. We were going to the vet weekly for testing but since he went into remission about a month ago, we hadn't been back.

5. Ewok

Ewok New Member

How is your cat doing? My cat is also on a combination of the Purina Healthy Weight and wet cat food. So many people object to any form of dry food. Ewok has been on this regimen for a year now. He hasn't gone into remission, though. I have been trying to move him over to a canned food diet, but it really throws him off so I'm back to this one again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.