Inappropriate Piddling

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JessWils, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JessWils

JessWils New Member

Hi guys. Our little girl (7 tomorrow) has recently been diagnosed with diabetes which is as a result of her triaditis (inflammatory bowel disease, liver disease and severe pancreatitis). She has also recently started piddling around the house. However, she still uses the litter boxes - we have 4 for 3 cats and the other 2 cats rarely use the litter boxes and go outside - for pee and poop. Sometimes she'll piddle right beside a clean litter box. Nothing has changed as far as litter or places except we have added another litter box. Has anyone had similar issues and been able to solve them? We've also got the Feliway pumping away on max to try to help. Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Never had that. We did have territory pissing contests between two of our cats. (We were the losers in that contest!) Feliway helped a bit.

3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

When cats have some vitamin deficiencies their paw paws become very sensitive so they feel uncomfortable stepping on the sand and may end up peeing very close to the sandbox but not actually in it, it could also be that she is weak and the sand box sides are too high for her to climb up right now.

With one of my civies giving her B complex plus B12 vitamin helped, she is not back to doing it correctly all the time but it has improved

4. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

When Fabby was diagnosed she had begun peeing outside the box. And because she was hanging over the water dish she was peeing rivers!
    Her diagnosed glucose was around 500 something. Once we got her on insulin and down a bit she began using the box again. I don't know what triggered her to go outside the box, maybe she was just too weak and lethargic from not being able to use her food as fuel that she didn't feel she could step up... but she didn't have and fecal accidents, only pee. So I know she COULD go in the box. This issue didn't happen all the time, and for less than 2 weeks.

However, a new fun issue did pop up later. I was feeding my household 3 different diets, so the specialty dieters all ate in my bedroom. Fabby first, then my crystals boys. Fabby was quite food aggressive, so I tried locking her up (under the desk with a baby gate, and also in a small metal dog crate with a cat bed inside). She would pee if locked up. Oh my goodness I was so angry. It was like she was mad about not being able to eat the boys carbs so she peed to get back at me. I stopped locking her up and found a different method of feeding the boys and she stopped that behavior...

Now we're coexisting with all the pee in the box. Knock on wood.
    (Never in her 15 years before diabetes did she ever have this problem, ever.)

Veronica & Babu-chiri likes this.
  5. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

My Baby had a UTI infection when she was first diagnosed, and even though recently her bg has been normal for about 7 days now - she had another infection when I took her in on Monday. (peeing beside box)

Veronica & Babu-chiri likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.